Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:39 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Over the years I've always thought I'd do it, but brushed the idea aside for a shorter walk to the store.

Well, yesterday, for the first time ever. I noticed my car had been hit (badly scratched) while I was in a lot some where. (I'd only been two places that day). But I was back home and it was after 5p when I noticed it.

It wasn't bad, so its not a worst case scenario by any means. Almost a best case scenario. But I'm still livid. Em effers scratched my back passenger-side bumper and pulled it away from the quarter panel. Thank goodness my dealer -- where I was at 6:30 this frigging morning -- didn't charge me to just pop it back in place.

But now I'm thinking again about parking half way across store parking lot away from others so my car doesn't get hit? Or in a garage always pulling between two posts, so there's no car on either side.

-- Anyone else do this?
-- If so have you always done it. Are you particular about it, and do it absolutely all the time?
-- Does it depend on the parking lot, how busy it is, as to whether you will park away from other cars.

There've been times I've parked, say, two cars over from the last car in the row. And I'll be darned if someone isn't parked next to me when I come out. It's like you have to park all the way in the second section away from the store to get away from folks….then of course you have to walk all the way across the darn lot to get to the store.

So, do you intentionally park away from other cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Yes, we have LENGTHY thread on this here not so long ago.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:18 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
I chuckle when I see people waiting with their blinker on for several minutes for a spot to open up in the front. I park a little further down with a bunch of open spots and see the person still camped out while I walk into the store. I don't mind the extra walk since I avoid the mad house of rogue shopping carts, soccer moms in their Suburbans backing up without looking and doors swung wide open with kids running around. It's all about risk mitigation.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
ukrkoz, I did go back months, looked and searched.

Quote:
I park a little further down
I've done that and still there's a car next to me when I come out of the store.
Again, it's like you have to park in the middle section of the lot -- not in the closest section at all, to get away from folks. Because two spots over has never been enough!

Plus I think I've got some magnetic people attraction field or something. I can park two cars over and I'll be darned when I pull in or try to pull out is someone isn't next to me, or across from me, Or I have to wait from them to pull in before I can pull out. I their door is open next to me.

I bet in a Walmart or mall parking lot I could park in the row facing the sidewalk, all the way away from the store and a car would be next to me when I came out. So…. I walked a block and a half to the store across the lot and the same distance back -- and a car is STILL next to me

Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Park far away all of the time.
Don't want any door dings.

It is amazing that some will drive around and around looking for a parking space closer to store doors.
And most actually could use the exercise of walking. Maybe burn off some of those calories.

Yet, more then a few times, I parked way way away from others and low and behold - coming back out there is another car parked way out there right next to my car. Even though there are rows of empty spaces all around.
Go figure.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
I always try to park on an end spot and leave as much space from the line as possible due to some idiot swinging their door wide open or their idiot kids swinging the door wide open. Some people just have no respect for other people's property.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
I park at the first spot I see regardless of the distance from the entrance.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yes I do. Though that burned me once when I had the far back corner spot and a drunk driver got in a wreck in the intersection then tried to flee the scene. Ended up going over a sidewalk through some hedges and right into my car.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:39 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Over the years I've always thought I'd do it, but brushed the idea aside for a shorter walk to the store.

Well, yesterday, for the first time ever. I noticed my car had been hit (badly scratched) while I was in a lot some where. (I'd only been two places that day). But I was back home and it was after 5p when I noticed it.

It wasn't bad, so its not a worst case scenario by any means. Almost a best case scenario. But I'm still livid. Em effers scratched my back passenger-side bumper and pulled it away from the quarter panel. Thank goodness my dealer -- where I was at 6:30 this frigging morning -- didn't charge me to just pop it back in place.

But now I'm thinking again about parking half way across store parking lot away from others so my car doesn't get hit? Or in a garage always pulling between two posts, so there's no car on either side.

-- Anyone else do this?
-- If so have you always done it. Are you particular about it, and do it absolutely all the time?
-- Does it depend on the parking lot, how busy it is, as to whether you will park away from other cars.

There've been times I've parked, say, two cars over from the last car in the row. And I'll be darned if someone isn't parked next to me when I come out. It's like you have to park all the way in the second section away from the store to get away from folks….then of course you have to walk all the way across the darn lot to get to the store.

So, do you intentionally park away from other cars?
Not really, but I do try to park where downhill-rolling shopping carts would hit a concrete barrier before hitting my car....just in case.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
No, and in the Ranger I don't pay too much attention, but in the Challenger I will look for a wider space where the people on both sides parked inside the lines. Someone is going to ding it eventually but I prefer to postpone it, and find people that park away from everyone else a bit obsessed, especially when they take two spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive