Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Maybe they will learn something from Toyota as the two are supposedly collaborating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
"M" cars are not intended to be daily drivers.

That's news to a lot of people.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Its a pity that fellow's writing style ruined the article. I would love to read a dissection on BMW engine reliability but this one is too journalistic to take seriously.
While he did write the article in a "sensational" manner, he had accurate data to back it up. The link he provided is a website I use to determine car reliability and its one of the most accurate sources on the web. So he is not wrong in his assertion that BMW reliability is shaky at best. Specifically he stated that their higher end models have atrocious reliability. He is 100% correct in that regard.

Most of BMW's premium models have extremely poor reliability rating. On the flip, side their most produced models (Z3, 300 series) have average or slightly above average reliability so its not all bad. I wish I could say more positives about BMW but facts are facts. I hope they improve their reliability in their high end models because the next car I buy will be a BMW.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
While he did write the article in a "sensational" manner, he had accurate data to back it up. The link he provided is a website I use to determine car reliability and its one of the most accurate sources on the web. So he is not wrong in his assertion that BMW reliability is shaky at best. Specifically he stated that their higher end models have atrocious reliability. He is 100% correct in that regard.

Most of BMW's premium models have extremely poor reliability rating. On the flip, side their most produced models (Z3, 300 series) have average or slightly above average reliability so its not all bad. I wish I could say more positives about BMW but facts are facts. I hope they improve their reliability in their high end models because the next car I buy will be a BMW.
I had too many adverts and such intrusions on the page to see a clear link. Thanks will return see if I find it and where it goes to.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Really? Does BMW state that in their advertising literature or is considered a 'feature' you get to figure out on your own?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I always thought BMW stood for "bring my wallet" LOL
Isn't it Bring MORE Wallet?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
A couple of the older ones called for new/rebuilt heads at 80 or maybe it was a 100K mi. So you'd be looking at...at least 10Gs I think for a car probably not worth much more than that...if that. So even if the don't implicitly come out and say it, they aren't really cut out to be high mileage warriors for those without deep pockets.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:17 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I always thought BMW stood for "bring my wallet" LOL
I've also heard from the BMW motorcycle crowd it stands for "Bring More Wrenches"

Having had a few of their motorcycles, performance is great, maintenance is the killer. While most manufacturers use hydraulic valve lifters because they are quiet and relatively maintenance free, BMW's still use solid lifters which need to be adjusted every 12K miles or so. The overhead cam engines use a "shim under bucket" design which while having wider specifications needing only to be checked at the 60K mark, adjustment requires removing the camshaft which involves some special tooling making this a labor intensive, expensive chore. I'm sure the car crowd can tell you about similar things. Yet the BMW engineer's chant is, (in imitation German accent), "Vee haf no problems with xxxxxx"

Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I've also heard from the BMW motorcycle crowd it stands for "Bring More Wrenches"

Having had a few of their motorcycles, performance is great, maintenance is the killer. While most manufacturers use hydraulic valve lifters because they are quiet and relatively maintenance free, BMW's still use solid lifters which need to be adjusted every 12K miles or so. The overhead cam engines use a "shim under bucket" design which while having wider specifications needing only to be checked at the 60K mark, adjustment requires removing the camshaft which involves some special tooling making this a labor intensive, expensive chore. I'm sure the car crowd can tell you about similar things. Yet the BMW engineer's chant is, (in imitation German accent), "Vee haf no problems with xxxxxx"

To which I'd reply: Ja, Hans! Tell us about your final drives.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
My friend just took his 98 840ci with 88K miles to the shop for vibration at 60mph and left with a $25,000 repair quote.

This car has been babied and driven lightly in the past 6 years of ownership and might have some worn control arm bushings, but here are some of the quote I remembered on the invoice.
$4000 to replace front struts
$4000 to replace rear struts
$873 to replace tires
$500 per control arm to replace and they pretty much anted to replace all of them, so the quote to replace the entire suspension was $5000
$1400 for replace both timing chain gaskets
$1200 to replace valve cover gaskets
$1000+ to replace radiator for a leak
$500+ for a power steering hose

At this point, you might as well buy a new Accord for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive