Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Almost all of the gas station tire inflation stations around here are labeled that they take money and almost all of them here, if you go inside and ask they will turn it on for you. Many of the Chevron stations here offer free air. Just hit the button on the side of the unit and it starts up.

Some of the stations have an air unit that claims the money goes to a charity that may be listed on the unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Mod cut. Quoted material deleted.

Sorry[, OP]. I missed the point in your note where you told us you bought a full tank of gas and then were irritated to have to pay for air.

I don't know why other areas charge for air, but I know why they do it here. It is not their customers using the air compressor. It is pickup loads of kids and truck tire inner tubes, blocking the driveways, causing a ruckus, filling up 4-5 of the inner tubes to go floating and then not buying anything. The inner tube and raft inflaters then go to a cheaper station to buy their gas, but where they don't offer an air compressor.

Compressors are not cheap and they don't last forever. The rubber compression hose is really not cheap, and not only do they not last forever, the customers can damage them. It's not free to the station owner to offer that service and many of the people who come in to use air never buy anything, so the cost of the air can't be wrapped up into the prices they pay.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: You may not edit another member's post.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
The compressor costs money & the electricity to run the compressor costs money. Prices in the world go up as time goes on. This is better known as "inflation". Thus, due to the cost of the equipment, electricity and "inflation, the price will be higher than it once was.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM

274 posts, read 252,837 times
Most stations around my area charge $1.50 or $1.75. I, too, found that shocking. The Stewart's Shops in the Greater Albany, NY area ALL have free air.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
It's called inflation inflation...
Sorry, I couldn't help myself....
And now you're all filled up with joy, aren't you?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Most stations around my area charge $1.50 or $1.75. I, too, found that shocking. The Stewart's Shops in the Greater Albany, NY area ALL have free air.
Having been born and raised in South Florida, I'm NOT going to make any reference about New Yorkers being filled with hot air... none... 'that's not how we do it where I'm from'... comes to mind... but like I said, not going to do it... wouldn't be prudent... yeah, I AM on a roll today...

Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I remember when the station attendant checked and filled tires every time I filled up.

I must be old
That was my job when I was 15- start the pump running for the gas, run around and check tire pressure, oil level, battery levels, and clean the windshield and rear window. Get that done and finish the gas, take the money and make change, and if any of the checks showed something needed, take care of that too (if the customer wanted).

In between gas customers I would repair/mount/balance tires, change oil and filters, change/clean spark plugs, replace points/condenser, minor tune-up and carb adjustments, and if I had none of that to do I would be assisting the regular mechanics while they taught me how to do more stuff. (Oil changes included dropping the pan, cleaning it and re-installing it with a new gasket.)

That's when a 'service station' really *was* a SERVICE station.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
In California they have to provide water/air for free.
Bill AB 531
Quote:
Existing law requires every service station in this state to provide, during operating hours, water, compressed air, and a gauge for measuring air pressure, to the public for use in servicing any passenger or commercial vehicle, as defined. Existing law provides that the failure of an owner or manager of a service station to have adequate water and air facilities for use by the public for 5 consecutive working days constitutes a rebuttable presumption that the owner or manager has intentionally violated these provisions. An intentional violation of these provisions is an infraction punishable by a fine not to exceed $50 per day. This bill would require that these air and water services be made available at no cost to customers who purchase motor vehicle fuel, as defined. The bill would require service stations to place and maintain a specified sign regarding these services. The bill would create a specified enforcement system by which consumers may report complaints via a toll-free customer complaint telephone number to the Division of Measurement Standards. The bill would provide that upon inspection, or upon notice of a complaint, employees of the division would be empowered to investigate complaints and issue citations, punishable by a fine of $250 per valid complaint, unless the citation is challenged in court. The issuance of a citation would be precluded if the air and water equipment is in good working order upon initial inspection, or if the air and water equipment is repaired to the satisfaction of the inspecting entity within 10 working days of that initial inspection. The bill would also exempt from the issuance of a citation air and water equipment that is the target of repeated vandalism, as specified.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times
I never pay for air in the Philadelphia area. Wawa locations that have fuel service always have free air!

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
By that reasoning I should be charged additional for using the paper towels by the pumps they offer at no additonal charge; the toilet paper in the bathroom; the use of the squeege and water; even the airconditioning inside the station should I pay in instead of outside; hand disinfectant for handling the pumps, etc. And a credit for pumping my own gas and paying outside via CC so as not to cause additional labor charge in having an attendant outside.
Actually, using a credit card means the station has to eat 3% to 6% in transaction fees. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive