Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it weird to hate using a GPS?
Not at all, GPS's are pretty flawed. 60 48.39%
Very much so, you're thinking wrong. 64 51.61%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'm ambivalent about Waze, and pretty much stopped using it after it repeatedly suggested multiple stupid left turns against traffic with no light, etc. Completely bonkers suggestions. This happened in areas where if my local knowledge of the neighborhood was like 20% better I would have discarded the suggestion anyway.
I never tried Waze, and don't really plan to. But if I were to use it, I'd have more trust in it for navigation than in traditional GPS software, because it's grass-roots. Of course, the opposite side of that coin is that Waze is essentially mobile spyware: it tracks your location and device data, and broadcasts it to the world. So it all boils down to your comfort level with being tracked and what you're getting in exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:36 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I never tried Waze, and don't really plan to. But if I were to use it, I'd have more trust in it for navigation than in traditional GPS software, because it's grass-roots. Of course, the opposite side of that coin is that Waze is essentially mobile spyware: it tracks your location and device data, and broadcasts it to the world. So it all boils down to your comfort level with being tracked and what you're getting in exchange.
Don't worry, if you have a smartphone you're being tracked already. And unless you have a VPN or some other high security measure you are being tracked every time you browse

Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
GPS is SO unreliable...makes SO many mistakes.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Don't worry, if you have a smartphone you're being tracked already. And unless you have a VPN or some other high security measure you are being tracked every time you browse
I keep location services turned off at all times, except when turning on briefly to use apps that require them (Google Maps, Uber, Lyft). Don't know if it helps or not, but whatever. And the sites I browse are PG13 at most, so that kind of tracking doesn't bother me.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
I keep location services turned off at all times, except when turning on briefly to use apps that require them (Google Maps, Uber, Lyft). Don't know if it helps or not, but whatever. And the sites I browse are PG13 at most, so that kind of tracking doesn't bother me.
So Waze (or Google Maps, now owners of Waze) tracking your driving habits shouldn't bother you either

But yeah, turning your location services off doesn't matter. Big brother is always watching.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

People who make broad statements like that usually have no clue as to how to change the settings in their device. I've been using GPS for almost two decades now and I've never had a reliability issue.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Like what?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Like what?
1) Sends you onto a gridlocked expressway, in the middle of a construction zone with two closed lanes.
2) Ignores a perfectly normal surface street running parallel to that expressway.
3) Tells you to take three turns to go a certain direction (make a loop), when only one will do (just turn).
4) Sends you five miles out of the way, when a fully-functional direct route is right there.
5) Tells you to get off an expressway and get right back on at the same damn street.
6) Screams "recalculating!" when you try to drive the normal person's way instead following its prompts.

Need I say more?

P.S.: Yes, I know they came from crappy, possibly outdated, GPS software, but they're still mistakes. Asked and answered.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Uh, do some of you guys know that you can turn the sound off?

You don't have to listen to that lady in the box telling you to do things.

Next question, in the dash or portable gps.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
1) Sends you onto a gridlocked expressway, in the middle of a construction zone with two closed lanes.
2) Ignores a perfectly normal surface street running parallel to that expressway.
3) Tells you to take three turns to go a certain direction (make a loop), when only one will do (just turn).
4) Sends you five miles out of the way, when a fully-functional direct route is right there.
5) Tells you to get off an expressway and get right back on at the same damn street.
6) Screams "recalculating!" when you try to drive the normal person's way instead following its prompts.

Need I say more?

P.S.: Yes, I know they came from crappy, possibly outdated, GPS software, but they're still mistakes. Asked and answered.
Yes, you need say more. If you know that this came from one specific crappy, possibly outdated, GPS software then why are you making this allegation about GPS in general? That's intellectually dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive