Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times

Advertisements

GOOD GRIEF . . .

There's much more to owning / driving a vehicle (Car, SUV or Truck) than PRACTICAL.

PRACTICAL
is for the Little Old Lady to hit the Piggly Wiggly every Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
First world problem. You have a safe and reliable car. A lot of people would love to be in your shoes. Or driver's seat. You have three years to figure out what you really want and/or need. Use that time wisely.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Judging a person by the vehicle...strange.

Blessings for having a vehicle. Be safe .
No.
It's more like how he is unhappy with what the decision represents and says about how he moves through life.

Then again, no reason to be something you're not.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

a Guards Red Porsche 911 GTS with aerokit. The gray car was competent and urbane. The red GTS, as the woman I'm dating phrases it, is "glittery." She loves it and any man who isn't a damn liar will admit in-part doing such risque stuff is to impress partners, too. o.
How is buying a red Porsche risque?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
It's a very nice car - looks great, drives great, will most likely be reliable, has the updated tech that I have always wanted. But, it simply represents everything I can't stand about myself - overly safe choices, fear of doing something different, always being practical, and for some reason denying myself what I really want. I wanted a small SUV. The RAV4 deal I had worked out would have been slightly more money, but I have that money. I have no real idea why I balked at the Rav4 when it was sitting there that day ready for me to take. Even the f**king color of the car I chose is a "safe" choice. Yes, it looks nice, but it didn't wow me the way the blue Camry did, and I kept telling myself that it would be easier to keep clean than a darker car, even though I have never cared about having a darker car and keeping it clean (Black Civic, followed by dark gray Accord). I didn't even get the same car with a moon roof because, again, I was rushing.

So, it's fine, but it's a reminder of how lame and safe I can be and I'll have to think about it for the next three years. Ugh. BTW, I realize this is the ultimate in "first world problems." Yes, I see the bigger picture, and regardless of my rant, I'm thankful that I can afford reliable, quality transportation. But, I still feel like such a pu**y.
Hate to break it to you but .. the RAV4 is also a practical and safe choice.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I've started a number of threads in the past few weeks since I totaled my 2003 Honda Accord and then went through the process of buying a new car.

The accident was very unexpected and I felt a LOT of pressure to get a car. I didn't have rental reimbursement on my insurance, year-end clearance sales/deals were going to end (well, that's what I thought, but clearly if the dealers still have 2016s on their lot after the official sale, you could probably still get a deal), and I was leaving for vacation on Labor Day.

The past few years, I always thought about getting a new car, probably a small SUV (Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, etc.) or a "hot hatch" so I could throw my bike in the back, move small/medium pieces of furniture, and to do something new after having driven a sedan for virtually my entire driving life. But, I never pulled the trigger because I had a car that ran great and was paid off.

So the accident forced my hand; I had to get a new car. And, immediately I became very practical; too practical. I test drove a Sonata, Accord, Mazda 6, Mazda CX-5. At one point I thought I'd just get a Sonata because yo got a lot for you money and nothing about it drastically annoyed me. And, again, for no good reason, I felt this immense pressure to get something done. I forced myself to go to Toyota after work one day and I liked the Camry SE (sportier look, a little stiffer suspension than the LE, but obviously not a sports car), and I liked he RAV4 too. Time ticking away, I told myself that those would be my final two choices, without ever going to Subaru to even look at Forester and Crosstek or test driving the small Hyundai SUVs or looking at any American brands, or hatchbacks of any brand.

I settled on the Camry SE in "Celestial Silver". I leased it for 3 years, 15k miles and got a deal I was very pleased with. But this thread has nothing to do with money. I'm not regretting anything about "the deal."

It's a very nice car - looks great, drives great, will most likely be reliable, has the updated tech that I have always wanted. But, it simply represents everything I can't stand about myself - overly safe choices, fear of doing something different, always being practical, and for some reason denying myself what I really want. I wanted a small SUV. The RAV4 deal I had worked out would have been slightly more money, but I have that money. I have no real idea why I balked at the Rav4 when it was sitting there that day ready for me to take. Even the f**king color of the car I chose is a "safe" choice. Yes, it looks nice, but it didn't wow me the way the blue Camry did, and I kept telling myself that it would be easier to keep clean than a darker car, even though I have never cared about having a darker car and keeping it clean (Black Civic, followed by dark gray Accord). I didn't even get the same car with a moon roof because, again, I was rushing.

So, it's fine, but it's a reminder of how lame and safe I can be and I'll have to think about it for the next three years. Ugh. BTW, I realize this is the ultimate in "first world problems." Yes, I see the bigger picture, and regardless of my rant, I'm thankful that I can afford reliable, quality transportation. But, I still feel like such a pu**y.
You can always get something more exciting than an Camry like the underrated Subaru Legacy, too bad they don't make the Spec B anymore.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
You're reminding me of my old Toyota Corolla, which I'd describe as 'a perfectly nice car except for the part how a bit of my soul died every time I started the engine'. Had it for a little over 2.5 years when we traded it for the Outback I really wanted and we could finally feel comfortable with the payments for. (student loan payoff really improved cash flow.)

There are more makes and models out there than Toyota that get excellent reliability and safety marks. In some cases, they'll do better than the equivalent Toyota. You do not have to give up driving enjoyment to get something that will make it to 150K or more miles with minimal repair cost these days.

If you hate the Camry enough that you're willing to take a financial hit of trading it in, go for it. We only get so many good driving years in our lives and there's probably a 2016 RAV 4 (or other last year's model) that will be a reasonable price because the 2017s are hitting the lot.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Is this a pattern you see in other aspects of your life as well? Denying yourself what you really want?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
When I bought my 2012 Sonata it was a choice between it, and a 2012 Camry... I liked the styling of the Sonata better (and XM radio) so that's what I went with. Fast forward... my Sonata now has the engine seize issue that didn't really didn't get me anything but an extended warranty from Hyundai. If I had went "safe" with the Camry I wouldn't be dealing with this mess now.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When I bought my 2012 Sonata it was a choice between it, and a 2012 Camry... I liked the styling of the Sonata better (and XM radio) so that's what I went with. Fast forward... my Sonata now has the engine seize issue that didn't really didn't get me anything but an extended warranty from Hyundai. If I had went "safe" with the Camry I wouldn't be dealing with this mess now.

The Sonata was an easy choice for me. Everything I was looking for and then some. All for under $30k. That's for a 2015 Limited with Tech and Ultimate packages. I really like it and my wife loves it. And a piece of my soul doesn't die every time I start it. After all, it's just a car. But a nice car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive