Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Lots of dealers will negotiate by phone/internet these days. The deal I mentioned above, where I got a deal $8K better for me than anything local, I did by phone. Some of those local offers, where I went in and wasted time haggling, and enduring their "tricks" (holding keys hostage, etc), did not bear fruit.

The key is finding a dealer hungry for a sale, and willing to work with buyers who are prepared to work the best deal they can. Trying to do so over the phone is not a fools errand however.
I used email instead and got several dealerships trying to outbid each other. Luckily this was in CA where these dealerships are everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You sound like a nice client.

I hope that is a compliment! .

I am nice....and I am upfront too. I even let the salesperson know if I am in the "shopping" phase so if he does not have time to assist me...I do understand. He/she should not lose a sale over me. Most salespeople have been very nice to show me cars, options etc. I just dont do the test drive until I have narrowed my choices to a couple of vehicles.
Mae

Old 09-13-2016, 08:08 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Mechanics are worse...MECHANICS ARE BY FAR the biggest rip offs in the business world.
I just LOVE how everyone thinks mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, electricians, etc. etc, are all ripoffs. Of course all these people that think this way are in the most HONEST profession there is, (like managers never lie?
When you're stuck on the side of the road in a storm and the mechanic comes out and changes your flat tire or whatever then he's a hero. The next day he's back to being a ripoff. Same when you're knee deep in sh*t when your toilet overflows on a holiday weekend.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Each market is different. No necessity in Florida for 4WD cars.
The Subaru's snow capability/reliability is lost on most in that market.

AWD with proper tires is awesome in the 2 inch an hour rainstorms that are common in my neck of the swamp. Also helps in making taking corners a bit quicker a lot of fun, and no hit in fuel economy compared to their peers when you compare apples to apples for most models. (Our Legacy is rated better in terms of mpg than a similar Camry, and we're beating the sticker numbers reliably)

Old 09-13-2016, 08:26 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I just LOVE how everyone thinks mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, electricians, etc. etc, are all ripoffs. Of course all these people that think this way are in the most HONEST profession there is, (like managers never lie?
When you're stuck on the side of the road in a storm and the mechanic comes out and changes your flat tire or whatever then he's a hero. The next day he's back to being a ripoff. Same when you're knee deep in sh*t when your toilet overflows on a holiday weekend.
I ran out of gas once just 1000 ft from a Caribbean marina. I called and asked for help. 10 gallons of gas delivered was $120, I actually tipped the guy $30. To me that fuel was priceless.

Tradesman are providing a skill you probably can't do on your own (not always but most of the time). Pay for it and appreciate the work.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:28 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
AWD with proper tires is awesome in the 2 inch an hour rainstorms that are common in my neck of the swamp. Also helps in making taking corners a bit quicker a lot of fun, and no hit in fuel economy compared to their peers when you compare apples to apples for most models. (Our Legacy is rated better in terms of mpg than a similar Camry, and we're beating the sticker numbers reliably)
Agreed. My wife is anxious for the new Outback.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:30 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
I used email instead and got several dealerships trying to outbid each other. Luckily this was in CA where these dealerships are everywhere.
This is the way to negotiate the best price. Email is a "free sale" for the dealership. They might not make a killing but it is another unit sold at the end of the month. Some dealers appreciate it, some just want to get you in to wear you down.

I recently bought a 3 new vehicles, all three were internet sales and all three were not the local/closest dealer to my house. In one case I took the train 45 minutes away and picked the vehicle up (no trade in).

Old 09-13-2016, 08:36 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Been shopping for a Mazda3 hatch 6spd, they are having a good discount on the 2016s as the 2017s are coming out in a few weeks. Now, the only reason I would go for a '16 is due to the big discount as the new 3 is better in every way... LED headlights, interior redesign, G Vectoring control, full color HUD, some exterior tweaks and not to mention that I can choose my preferred colors as opposed to settling for what is in stock.

Now, of course, I call the dealer and what does he tell me... these cars are very rare so I need to pay sticker, there is a line of people waiting for buy them as there are only 2 manual transmissions in the entire west coast

I told the FOOL that it is a Mazda 3 not a Mercedes SLS to be so "rare"!!! If the stock is depleted now then wait a month and there will be plenty more!!

I told him good for him, he can sell it for sticker to some other fool, I will just buy a 2017 I can wait a month for the new models to arrive and I do not mind paying a few hundred dollars more to get a much more refreshed model. He told me my reasoning is flawed.

Does this make much business sense? They were ready to sell it to me for invoice about 2 months ago but I was still deciding then, now when I am ready the price has gone up to MSRP. Why? Because it's the last of the 2016s? Isn't that backwards? It should be clearance pricing not price going up?
Your playing their game. One where they can BS you over and over until you're completely baffled and are quoting their own BS back at them - this is just advanced salesmenship.

The game has changed due to Internet buying - don't talk with them. If you know what, you want to communicate (only) via email to the Internet Sales guy (every dealer has one) and make sure you ping every Mazda dealer within 50 miles. Ask for quotes with what you want. They will try to call you or get you to come in - just ignore it and ask for quotes. Keep asking until you get them. Play them off against each other, send them competitive quotes. Ask them to beat it. Keep going until you get what you want. Took one week of this when I bought my last car. Just went in and signed the deal - that was it. Of course they still tried to sell an extended warranty, undercoating, & paint protection but that conversation lasted less than 5 minutes as I had already bought the car.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
We have 4 Mazda dealers within 50 miles of us.

Years ago our CEO and one of the directors were out looking at Porsche's. They went to the closest dealer and made an offer on two cars. The sales guy turned them down. The CEO told him, that is OK. This is the LA Metro area. Then he asked him how many Porsche dealers are in the LA Metro area? I personally know of four other dealers that are within an hour away from here.

They hopped into the car and left the dealership. Within 10 minutes the Sales guy called him back and said that they would make that deal on the two cars.

My thought: Offer what you want to pay for any car. If you have a solid offer and keep to your guns, the chances are you will get the car at that offer. Sure it won't work every time, but as an old rich friend used to say, "I can afford not to buy it."

Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is the way to negotiate the best price. Email is a "free sale" for the dealership. They might not make a killing but it is another unit sold at the end of the month. Some dealers appreciate it, some just want to get you in to wear you down.

I recently bought a 3 new vehicles, all three were internet sales and all three were not the local/closest dealer to my house. In one case I took the train 45 minutes away and picked the vehicle up (no trade in).
I was willing to drive an hour to SF to visit the neighboring dealerships, but luckily there was one 20 minutes away from where I lived willing to price match a competitor's deal. Quick and painless, took about 30 minutes of emails in total to the various dealerships and a quick confirmation from the salesman to management whether or not they could match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive