Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times

Advertisements

We live in a pretty upscale community. We have more than our fair share of millionaires and billionaires.

The only people here who drive flashy cars are the Dbags like pawn shop owners, we buy gold, and other businesses that prey on others. Those flashy cars get eye rolls and wishes they would move to Birmingham where they belong. The regular wealthy types drive ordinary cars most of the time, but have one or more "fun" cars tucked away in their garage. I would bet there are over 100 restored model Ts and model As in our community of 10k people. The restof us have broken "fn" cars in our garage and will one day join the other retirees who are driving theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I met Bill Hewlett of Hewlett-Packard a few times.

He drove himself in a Ford Crown Vic. At the time, he could have bought Ford Motor Company.

The guy was genuine. He didn't need to impress anybody.
I got a picture sitting at his desk... asked if it was OK on a class field trip and got the OK

Can only comment on those I know with great wealth and none were limousine types and would be embarrassed by it.

Full size Fords and Ford pickups are the two most common...

One was a Tool and Die magnate if that term is used anymore... He briefly had a Lincoln and felt very uncomfortable and soon was back in a Crown Victoria... most though drove F series pickups...

Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,934,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6 View Post
I'm not talking about your looks or physique, but rather, the biggest material aspect that defines your image. You may think that your house is the most important aspect, but you cannot carry your expensive house with you. You cannot flash or flaunt the house. Only your family and close friends will visit your place.

Whereas, you take your vehicle, everywhere, and since is the most expensive item in your possession, it plays a huge role in your image and reputation. This is the same reason why people spend money on expensive watches and bags, such as Rolex and Louis Vuitton. They signify success and money. Same reason, why so many fakes are sold. People want to benefit from the brand image at a fraction of the price.

Unlike, clothing and accessories, you CANNOT fake a car. You either have the real thing or you don't. This is why so many people get in debt and finance vehicles that they cannot afford.

Whether people want to admit it or not, we live in a materialistic and superficial world, where looks, money and material possessions, play a huge role in how others treat you and perceive you. It is normal human nature to want to be perceived in a positive light.

People desire a new or luxury car, not because of the driving experience, but for what it will do for their image. You may think this is a childish behavior and only young people fall for it, but many adults and middle age people buy more car than they can afford. You can be old, but as long as you are living in the modern first world, you cannot escape these desires and feelings.

You may suppress them for a while, simply, because you cannot afford what you'd like to have, so you don't have another choice, but just because you can suppress those feelings and desires, it doesn't mean you are now enlightened and have escaped the system. You are still trapped in the matrix. You still desire the nice things in life. The nice car, house, material possessions, trips, vacations, etc. You still want them and would gladly take them if they were given to you for free.

Don't fool yourself. Just because you can't afford them and choose to be frugal and believe yourself to be indifferent and unaffected to what other people desire, does not mean you have escaped those desires.

Nope. I have a house in the prairies, a condo in Florida as well as a sailboat. I drive a 14 year old van with 180,000 miles on it, and it travels back and forth to Florida twice a year. My image is my reputation, not what I own or drive. People respect me for my integrity, my knowledge and that I don't put up with any B.S. I don't want superficial people in my life.

I have not bought a new car since I was 24, and that was 41 years ago. I have not had payment since then, and I would never consider spending a lot of money on a depreciating asset. I'll leave that to those that think they need to project "an image", and buy your vehicle, assuming it is well maintained, when you think it is past its prime.

It is people like you that allow people like me to have the lifestyle we do.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
Why would anyone that has money want random strangers to know it? Especially nowadays.

It can make you a target.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,412,366 times
Guess my image says Japanese econobox driven into the ground. Wonder what Asian Zodiac sign that is.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Cars are as big a part of your outward appearance as your clothes, haircut, cologne (if you choose to wear it) or personal hygiene. Whether you choose to accept that or not is up to you. But most of you do tailor your appearance to what others in your peer group, possible hiring group, or potential dating pool might think of you. First impressions count and you know it. Maybe some of you do let yourselves go and turn into filthy slobs after you get hired and/or married.

(snip Mod deletes/edits)

Cars can be a big part of first impressions. You'd think differently of someone who pulls up to your house in a beat up Buick than a clean Accord and different yet if they pulled up in a new Aston Martin convertible. If you say you wouldn't, you're lying. Even if they were exactly the same person inside.
Of course they (and the other items you mention) matter, in certain circumstances. This thread is filled with indignant commentators apparently driving POS cars and trucks that were bought all-cash. Hey, that's just great and bully for you. Walk around in a power kilt and/or cargo pants, with a bushy beard and "Keep on Truckin'!" hat, and live happy doing so. Note, however, that others definitely do have a different take on presentation, for good reason.

I, and OP, and the person I'm quoting, presumably *do* care about impressing others with the trappings of success....for business and personal reasons...within tasteful boundaries. I bought my P-car mostly for me, but I do enjoy some of the attention it receives, too. That's just a fact. My current GF calls it "sparkly" and I must admit that's rather endearing. Keeping her happy is not a bad thing.

I have closed on new business due to presenting well in my choice of clothing, watch, shoes, manner of speaking, and words chosen. And how I treat others, the places I've chosen to take clients, and paying attention to the presentation of meals being served. Those are simply facts. That is direct feedback from other executives, who value tradition and...here's that word again...presentation quite a bit actually.

Yes, some millionaires drive plain cars. I've read those books, too, and the theories make sense most of the time. Others drive Aston Martins, P-cars, Lambos, and etc. Some who earned their money through shrewd business sense are in the latter camp, too, just FYI.

It's a hobby, as-well: I meet with about 150 of them most every Saturday morning during the summer, it's called "Exotics at RTC" and a more interesting and varied group of enthusiasts you'll seldom meet elsewhere. We're mostly IT, finance, and real estate guys who have done just fine by looking into future trends and making pretty solid bets on choice in careers and investments, in my observation. More than a little networking occurs at these events, too, meaning in the loosest sense it's almost a partial business write-off to make the right connections with others.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,934,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Of course they (and the other items you mention) matter, in certain circumstances. This thread is filled with indignant commentators apparently driving POS cars and trucks that were bought all-cash. Hey, that's just great and bully for you. Walk around in a power kilt and/or cargo pants, with a bushy beard and "Keep on Truckin'!" hat, and live happy doing so. Note, however, that others definitely do have a different take on presentation, for good reason.

I, and OP, and the person I'm quoting, presumably *do* care about impressing others with the trappings of success....for business and personal reasons...within tasteful boundaries. I bought my P-car mostly for me, but I do enjoy some of the attention it receives, too. That's just a fact. My current GF calls it "sparkly" and I must admit that's rather endearing. Keeping her happy is not a bad thing.

I have closed on new business due to presenting well in my choice of clothing, watch, shoes, manner of speaking, and words chosen. And how I treat others, the places I've chosen to take clients, and paying attention to the presentation of meals being served. Those are simply facts. That is direct feedback from other executives, who value tradition and...here's that word again...presentation quite a bit actually.

Yes, some millionaires drive plain cars. I've read those books, too, and the theories make sense most of the time. Others drive Aston Martins, P-cars, Lambos, and etc. Some who earned their money through shrewd business sense are in the latter camp, too, just FYI.

It's a hobby, as-well: I meet with about 150 of them most every Saturday morning during the summer, it's called "Exotics at RTC" and a more interesting and varied group of enthusiasts you'll seldom meet elsewhere. We're mostly IT, finance, and real estate guys who have done just fine by looking into future trends and making pretty solid bets on choice in careers and investments, in my observation. More than a little networking occurs at these events, too, meaning in the loosest sense it's almost a partial business write-off to make the right connections with others.

This is how fellow millionaires do deals in my part of the country. Their air seeder costs more than any vehicle you can buy except perhaps a Bugatti. We haven't even started on any other equipment, never mind land or livestock.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
^^^Pretty much it...

Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,649,672 times
The OP calls himself, Mazda6. If that what he drives, well, enough said.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,054,426 times
Lots of different opinions in this thread...I love it! I get the "frugality" of a lot of people, and yes, I understand a car is a depreciating asset, but don't try to mask your hidden pleasures/wants/desires to try and sound macho or insensitive to what others "think" of you.
I have one question for all of you:
Say if you were the LAST PERSON ON EARTH...like Will Smith in the movie I Am Legend minus the zombie threat. You came out of your home one day and had a fleet of 20 cars at your disposal ranging from a Old Model Honda Civic to a $2 Million Bugatti....which one would you hop into first to take a spin up the countryside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive