Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,554,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not a fan of anyone getting a car they do not like. I have had to do that in the past. A car you like can make you happy every time you see it, even if it breaks a lot. A car you hate can annoy you every time you see it. Been there. He would be initially happy to get anything as long as it is a manual transmission. However I would prefer to find something he can be excited about. Engineering school can be difficult/depressing and depression is a big enough issue at that age. If his car can be a bright spot for him, great!. I remember having a car in college that made me happy every time I drove it. Really, every time I looked at it, I would smile and feel warm. I just loved that car. Then I had to replace it and got a "practical" car which turned out to be a garbage car. It was annoying/depressing to look at or drive (4cyl, Pontiac Sunbird), when it committed suicide, I was very happy, I never bought a car I did not love, or at least like ever again (although I did end up driving my wife's Hyundai Excel for a year, so she could drive my car. The Excel was even worse than the Sunbird - when an army guy rear ended the Hyundai at a light, I crawled out of the sunroof (doors would not open - it folded up like an accordion) and shook his hand and thanked him).

All cars that cost $2000 are equally economical and affordable for us - any car that costs $2000 costs exactly the same amount. Reliability is up to him, and although he would like to find better MPG, it makes little difference. He only drives about 10K miles a year. This is a $2000 car, you do not insure a $2000 car for collision or comprehensive, thus, the type of car makes almost no difference in the premiums.

I would like to find something safer than the POS he drives now (nicknamed "the Deathtrap"). If safety were the only issue, he would be getting a big old Lincoln or buick, or a Volvo.

If we can find an affordable civic with 150K miles or less that will certainly be in the running. He said he would love to find a decent civic due to the great mileage. However I am not that excited about jumping to 200K plus miles just for the Honda brand name. An extra 5 MPG is not going to translate into substantial amounts of money and at post 150K miles, it is all hit and miss for reliability. Brand names are not going to make any difference, you are going to have problems with anything. Plus the parts can be pricey and hard to find (not all the parts, but some parts are hard to find and expensive - Volvo is worse, pretty much all volvo parts are expensive).

We did find one MR2 for $2000. I am pretty sure that is the same engine are a Celica, but not positive. Nice looking car, Needs a window regulator (no big deal for him). Not a turbo, but for 2K cannot expect that.

I have not seen many Celica's or corollas for sale around here. That is not surprising. This Ford/GM/Chrysler home territory. Foreign makes are not that common (hence the difficulty finding some parts, my FIL when visiting needed a Honda starter and we had to drive 100 miles r.t. to get one, that particular year/model was a dealer only part).
I disagree (somewhat). My parents bought me a 1987 Nissan Sentra right before I went off to college. I had been looking at cheap cars on my own as I'd been working two summer jobs that year and had my eyes on a nice Chevy Cavalier Z24 (my tastes at the time, smh). The Sentra wasn't the car I wanted or necessarily liked, but my parents stepped in and saved me from basically wasting all of my money that had better use for school. I also went to school for engineering. Honestly, at 18, I was just happy to have a car. It was a piece of crap but it was reliable and carried me through my first 3 years of college. Basically, I'm saying that beggars can't always be choosers. But, it's nice that you want your son to drive something he'll be moderately happy with.

That being said, since I'm on the topic of Sentras, you can find a 2000-05 Sentra, less than 150K, for $2000. That was the last generation of very reliable Sentras, before they started using the extremely unreliable CVTs. I'd look at those, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,477,921 times
what about an Acura CL or integra? the late 1990's versions seem to be available for that price range

Old 09-19-2016, 11:11 AM

308 posts, read 499,844 times
I would look into Honda Prelude or Acura Integra. They are little sportier than a regular Accord or Camry. It sounds like he wants to tinker with it also, there are lots of parts available that he can upgrade.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,174,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Early WRX?
Yeah, my mind gravitated to Subaru as well. The WRX for $2K would be in ROUGH shape, though...

Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I disagree (somewhat). My parents bought me a 1987 Nissan Sentra right before I went off to college. I had been looking at cheap cars on my own as I'd been working two summer jobs that year and had my eyes on a nice Chevy Cavalier Z24 (my tastes at the time, smh). The Sentra wasn't the car I wanted or necessarily liked, but my parents stepped in and saved me from basically wasting all of my money that had better use for school. I also went to school for engineering. Honestly, at 18, I was just happy to have a car. It was a piece of crap but it was reliable and carried me through my first 3 years of college. Basically, I'm saying that beggars can't always be choosers. But, it's nice that you want your son to drive something he'll be moderately happy with.

That being said, since I'm on the topic of Sentras, you can find a 2000-05 Sentra, less than 150K, for $2000. That was the last generation of very reliable Sentras, before they started using the extremely unreliable CVTs. I'd look at those, too.
My parents stepped in and prevented me from buying a car I really wanted once. It was a 1971 Hemi Cuda convertible - $750. It had some rust holes and a badly modified exhaust and a handful of other little problems. Dad said the MPG was too poor and I would get tickets.

Ten or fifteen years later, I watched that same car (in somewhat better condition) sell for several million at an auction in Palm Springs.

Thanks dad.

(The reality is I would have wrecked or junked that car long before, had I bought it).

He would be happy to have any car that is better than the one he has, even if he hates it. He hated the Saturn, but he was glad to have it. At the time, he really needed the high MPG. Now he drives less, so it is less critical.

However I would prefer to spend $2000 on a car he loves rather than on one he hates. That is why I am seeking options. Having had cars I hate and cars I love, I am aware it can make a difference in your life at times, and sometimes those times can really matter.

I see no reason to settle for a lame car when there are neat cars available in the same price range. The MR2 is a perfect example. Why buy a corolla when you can get the same engine, same Toyota build is a cooler sportier MR2? No need for bland when not bland is available. The trick is simply figuring out what they are.

Sentras available with manual transmissions? I think he would prefer to just keep the deathtrap than drive an automatic. That is really his one unmovable criteria. It must have a manual transmission. I found a very nice condition Buick Park Avenue Ultra (1992) for $2k. He likes the big boat cars, but not automatic transmissions that come in pretty much all of them.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
If you can get the cars you mentioned in your original post for 2000 why even think about a Honda?
Imo A mid to Late 90's integra would be your best choice.
As my dad once told me:
1)Cheap
2)Reliable
3)Fast
you only get to pick 2 of 3

Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
I will look for Preludes and Acuras and if I find any see if he likes them. I remember liking the prelude's looks.

His current car (Contour SVT) is sort of sporty and was cheap ($1100), but it is no longer safe to drive. He usually begs a sibling to come get him if he comes home for a weekend rather than attempting the trip in the deathtrap. But it served him well for a couple of years. At present it needs a new alternator to run, but it will still be questionable for high speed driving, too many suspension parts need replacing and the brake lines are patched together, no emergency/parking brake, two gear syncros are gone,the speedometer works only occasionally, no AC, no radio, exhaust is so loud, you could not hear a radio anyway, I forget what all else. He can fix things that must be fixed and can be repaired in the parking lot, or bring it home on a break for bigger jobs, but it is just not worth repairing anymore. You cannot jack it up because it is so rusty underneath, he has to use ramps. Some day he is going to hit one of the infamous Michigan potholes and the thing is going to crack in half.

If we could find another Contour SVT for $1100 that would last for two years, that would be great.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:44 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,270,133 times
Quote:
I will look for Preludes and Acuras and if I find any see if he likes them. I remember liking the prelude's looks.

His current car (Contour SVT) is sort of sporty and was cheap ($1100), but it is no longer safe to drive. He usually begs a sibling to come get him if he comes home for a weekend rather than attempting the trip in the deathtrap. But it served him well for a couple of years. At present it needs a new alternator to run, but it will still be questionable for high speed driving, too many suspension parts need replacing and the brake lines are patched together, no emergency/parking brake, two gear syncros are gone,the speedometer works only occasionally, no AC, no radio, exhaust is so loud, you could not hear a radio anyway, I forget what all else. He can fix things that must be fixed and can be repaired in the parking lot, or bring it home on a break for bigger jobs, but it is just not worth repairing anymore. You cannot jack it up because it is so rusty underneath, he has to use ramps. Some day he is going to hit one of the infamous Michigan potholes and the thing is going to crack in half.

If we could find another Contour SVT for $1100 that would last for two years, that would be great.
I bought a brand new Contour SVT in 1998 for $20635. Fun car!
I sold it five years later for $9500. SVTs had a cult following, thus the 46% five year resale.

I feel sorry for the poor schmucks that bought regular Contours.
In the end they spent similar or more $$$ for waaaaay less car.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,268,907 times
Well I'll say up front that I am very prejudiced towards Honda because I've worked for them for over 27 years,plus I have driven only Honda's since 1990.
The reason even older models cost more is because they hold their resale value until you drive the wheels off of them. As long as it's had the required maintenance performed I wouldn't be afraid of one that had 300,000 miles on it. At work we regularly see them with that much mileage and more. Again,just like any other brand you have to maintain them you can't just drive them till they fall apart.
If you can find an older 4 cylinder Accord with manual transmission in good shape you've struck pay dirt!

Old 09-19-2016, 04:29 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I bought a brand new Contour SVT in 1998 for $20635. Fun car!
I sold it five years later for $9500. SVTs had a cult following, thus the 46% five year resale.

I feel sorry for the poor schmucks that bought regular Contours.
In the end they spent similar or more $$$ for waaaaay less car.
The Contour SVT was a great car
My ford Probe GT was still on of the funnest cars ive ever owned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive