Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,902,896 times

Advertisements

Wife is looking to get into a new car. Unsure yet which car but she appears to have her heart set on a Jeep Renegade. I recently bought a car the traditional way, meaning I went to the dealership and spent hours there while financing was sought and approved. She wants to do something different and have financing pre arranged before she even steps foot at a dealership. The thing is that neither one of us has ever done pre arranged financing before so we wanted to now how it works.

I know when you do it the old school way like I did the dealership tells the bank exactly how much of a loan I need for the vehicle which includes taxes and registration. If you go get a car loan yourself, how do they know how much to loan you to cover all the fees?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,282,724 times
You tell the bank roughly how much you want to borrow. Then you go to the dealer, arrange a price for the car. Go back to the bank, get a check for the price of the vehicle, then take it back to the dealer.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,953,848 times
Most banks or credit unions allow you to pre-apply for the loan. They'll tell you the rate and how much they are willing to finance. The dealerships will pressure you to finance with them, so having the pre-approval will give you leverage. Honestly, I've done both. I've gotten the approval from my credit union and financed through them but I've also financed through the dealer when they could get me a much better deal.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,296,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Most banks or credit unions allow you to pre-apply for the loan. They'll tell you the rate and how much they are willing to finance. The dealerships will pressure you to finance with them, so having the pre-approval will give you leverage. Honestly, I've done both. I've gotten the approval from my credit union and financed through them but I've also financed through the dealer when they could get me a much better deal.
Honestly in the current environment I don't see much reason to go with outside financing. Almost all of the OEM's are offering 0% financing on many of their vehicles. Even where they are not the rates are very low.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
With our credit union, they basically give you a check that can be written up to an amount of $X and be used at any licensed auto dealer in Florida. Dealer's finance department knows what to do with it from there.

We've had some problems with identity theft in the past, and in the clean-up the spousal unit managed to screw up freezing his credit with one of the bureaus so that it's a massive pain to unfreeze. Easier to just use the credit union as lender where we have an existing relationship (they can do credit pulls despite the freeze because of that) and who offers very competitive rates than to have to untangle the Transunion mess in case that's who the dealer uses to verify credit.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,612,911 times
The Jeep Renegade is nothing more than a rebadged Fiat 500X. And you know what Fiat stands for. You'll be on a first name basis with Tony before you know it.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,612,911 times
Normally I would get my financing in place before I go to the dealer. But my special order Jeep came in ahead of schedule while I was out in the field with my Jeep group. Because it was late in the day, I went straight to the Jeep dealer without having my financing in place. The finance guy wanted to set me up with a 2.5 percent loan. So I used my smart phone app to get a loan set up with one of my banks while I'm sitting on his office. As he's sitting there trying to get me to go with 2.5 percent I'm telling him it will be just a few minutes and I'll have my own financing in place. So he gets back on his computer and says he found a deal for 1.79 percent. Imagine that! My bank was offering 2.0 percent, so I took the 1.79 percent. Best of all, I already had a credit card with that bank, so making monthly payments is easy.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,280,289 times
I have something lined up, but if one of the dealer's banks wants to beat that rate I let them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I already had a credit card with that bank, so making monthly payments is easy.
Or you can just autopay.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 AM

44,662 posts, read 61,751,282 times
To have the upper hand get all your ducks in a row before going to the dealer. That means line up your pre-approved financing through your own private financial institute before driving onto the dealers lot. And I would check comparable vehicle pricing from other dealers too.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM

17,367 posts, read 12,321,062 times
With my bank I basically get an approval up to a certain amount(usually far more than I actually want to spend). Then I can just use their mobile app to complete it. Which involves simply printing out a dealer instruction sheet where I sign on the amount and it has them fax the purchase agreement and title to the bank.

In the past I've also used credit unions that mailed me a blank check to fill in the amount.

I do let the dealer finance guy attempt to beat the rate but if he's just going to match I stick with my bank/cu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive