Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times

Advertisements

I strongly recommend that before using ANY additive, no matter what it promises the benefits will be, look up the MSDS for that additive. Just google "(additive name) MSDS" and you will probably get several choices of sites to look at.
Some additives will say that the ingredients are "trade secrets" and will only be given to "qualified medical professionals", but many will give the ingredients, and even a percentage range of each ingredient in the mixture.
The ingredients are quite likely Acetone, light petroleum distillate (diesel fuel, kerosene, or 3-in-one oil) and IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol).
Once you know what is in it, you can make a well informed decision as to whether or not you want the stuff in your fuel!
If you really want to use it, you can go to any hardware store that carries paint and supplies, and make your own by the gallon instead of buying 12 oz. bottles!
Take a look at this site: http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/

Last edited by Redraven; 10-24-2016 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewheart View Post
unless your car is designed for premium, dont waste your money, if your car performs badly on regular gas, then you have an issue that needs taken care of, even cars that specify premium can run regular, it will just pull the timing back and you wont perform as well. but all cars are made to run on 87 octane min. most additives are snake oil. seafoam is one of the better ones but it works better of you let the engine suck in about half a bottle then shut it off and wait about 15 min and then go out and drive it like you stole it. also the best carbon cleaner for the combustion chamber is good old tap water, you take a 20 oz bottle of water and let the engine suck that up small amounts at the time dont just dump it in,. and do that a few times . the tops of the pistons and combustion chamber will be clean as a whistle, even better is if you could rig up your washer pump to sparay it in while you are driving down the road, up hill really getting on it loading the engine down. it really works great then.
In reciprocating engine aircraft, that is known as "Anti-Detonation Injection fluid". I used to mix the stuff when I was in the Navy many years ago. 55 gallons of Denatured Alcohol (can't have pure grain alcohol around a bunch of Sailors, y'know, they would likely drink the stuff!), 55 gallons of Distilled Water, and 2 gallons of water soluble cutting oil (to lubricate the pump).
It was used only on take-off or other periods of high manifold pressure and high combustion chamber pressures to minimize detonation (pinging).
It worked well.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
regular gas + the additive is equal to regular gasoline + the additive

Water and champagne are both liquid, but you can't make champagne by adding an additive to water

Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
regular gas + the additive is equal to regular gasoline + the additive

Water and champagne are both liquid, but you can't make champagne by adding an additive to water
No, you can't make true Champagne, but by adding flavoring, grain alcohol, and carbon dioxide you can, with experimentation, make a very nice sparkling wine!

Old 10-24-2016, 01:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Makes ya wonder just how ignorant can a society be and survive. Folks dumping all kinds of chemicals in their gas, oil, and engines and haven't got the faintest idea what's in the formulation. They just know somebody, somewhere, said that it is good stuff and since Uncle Joe used it, it's the best. STP Fuel Treatment is bottle of kerosene and a little naphtha. So at the price paid, that's about $30.00 a gallon for kerosene. All you would have needed to do was search for the MSDS on it and in most cases, the formula is right in front of you. If you don't understand it, usually the CAS numbers are right there for you to search. But then, you have to be smart enough to read and that seems to be an issue these days. All a company has to do is advertise it on TV and the world believes it to be true. Here's the MSDS for those Google challenged:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cGw&cad=rja

Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The additives you need in your gas are are incorporated into the product before it leaves the refinery. Thinking you are getting a better product by using premium fuel in a car designed for regular fuel is just throwing your money away.IMO adding fuel injector cleaner is also a waste of money as the detergents to clean those injectors are already in the gas you buy.
bingo

Old 10-24-2016, 01:22 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
I have bought 7 new cars in my lifetime.
I've always used the fuel recommended for that engine and the oil viscosity recommended.

I always get over 200,000 trouble free miles and I expect it when buying the car.

Additives...............pffffft !

Old 10-24-2016, 05:11 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
This is just nonsense. All gasoline is mandated to contain a certain amount of detergent additives. Top Tier is just a step above what the EPA requires.
So is Techron the real deal or not?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 PM

57 posts, read 70,222 times
Marketing BS.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:08 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So is Techron the real deal or not?
No idea as I know little about it outside of what I've read online. Lots of people seem to think it's the "real deal" but I really can't say.

I lived 90% of my life in an area where Chevron gasoline didn't exist. There are some Chevron stations here in Florida, but none in my immediate area. So, I have no personal experience.

We do have Marathon stations here and their big marketing concept is that they add STP detergent additives to their gasoline.

Marathon Gasoline with STP Additives - Q & A

No personal experience with that either. I buy gas for my personal vehicles from the Shell station around my house 99.9% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive