Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I got 10 bottles of STP fuel additive for 1.25 so I splurged. Do you all think regular gas + the additive is equal to Preminum?
"Premium" refers to the octane rating. STP snake oil will not change the octane rating.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
So you and all the others think Fuel Additives are a waste of money and useless....FUEL INJECTIONS don't get dirty?
Out of curiosity what make and model of car are you dealing with?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
"Premium" refers to the octane rating. STP snake oil will not change the octane rating.

Don in Austin
STP Octane Booster 5.25 oz. - Carburetor Cleaners & Gas Additives - Ace Hardware

That is what the sell it to do. Pretty sure is actually does change octane.

They also sell other potions, on of them is an injector cleaner potion. That does not boost octane (nor does it clean fuel injectors, nor do anything else for that matter).

Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
I got 10 bottles of STP fuel additive for 1.25 so I splurged. Do you all think regular gas + the additive is equal to Preminum?
No. Premium is for high compression engines. Unless your manufacturer labels the car as requiring premium gasoline, you are completely wasting your money. So called premium gasoline has additives which reduce the ignition point so it can be used in cars with higher compression ratios. Think "Corvette". These additives actually reduce the energy level of the fuel so it does not detonate before the electric spark fires. Thus if you use premium you get less energy per gallon and will get slightly poorer mileage.
Most of what a fuel additive might do is already in the gasoline you buy.
"Splurged = Wasted"

Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
STP Octane Booster 5.25 oz. - Carburetor Cleaners & Gas Additives - Ace Hardware
They also sell other potions, on of them is an injector cleaner potion. That does not boost octane (nor does it clean fuel injectors, nor do anything else for that matter).
A chemist could figure out if that bottle could possibly contain enough pure octane to do anything. Changing the octane of the fuel being burned in an engine that is designed to burn regular does nothing. Adding this to regular and running it in an engine that requires mid grade or premium might result in being able to fill up with the regular grade. It's hard to believe it is any advantage to buy the chemical and add it yourself as opposed to having the refinery add it in the main blend.
$7.99 to treat 21 gallons is $.38 per gallon, so you might as well buy premium if it is less that $.38 higher than regular.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
no. the only way to get an increase in octane is to get an octane booster. but do it only if you need the higher octane, and even then the best thing would be to get higher octane fuel instead.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
No. Absolutely not.

A car with an aftermarket tune which requires higher octane fuel will ping/knock on regular + injector cleaner. Regular + injector cleaner does not equal higher octane.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Not a chance lance. Most cars use reg so stick with that unless you have a Vette like me that needs 91 or more.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A chemist could figure out if that bottle could possibly contain enough pure octane to do anything. Changing the octane rating of the fuel being burned in an engine that is designed to burn regular does nothing. Adding this to regular and running it in an engine that requires mid grade or premium might result in being able to fill up with the regular grade. It's hard to believe it is any advantage to buy the chemical and add it yourself as opposed to having the refinery add it in the main blend.
$7.99 to treat 21 gallons is $.38 per gallon, so you might as well buy premium if it is less that $.38 higher than regular.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
bingo
Today's cars are regulated by your cars computer,so burning premium gas in a car designed to regular unleaded gas is just waisting money. The only time I use gas treatment is in my Kia GDI motor every 12,000 if not useing top tier gas all the time, I use ethanol fuel system dryer by BG products, same think the dealers use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive