Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have other avenues for discounts that are as good or better than AAA.

Congrats! I was just trying to point out the benefits of having a AAA membership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 04:02 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I've carried AAA for years and only have had to use it twice. Once when I blew a water pump 300 miles from home, and another time to get a jump for a dead battery. Worth every penny because when you are away from home they get there fast and tow you to safety, or even all the way home.

Great company and I will keep them as long as I drive.

Don

Old 10-26-2016, 04:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Nothing hard to do. Not knocking your choice but by the time AAA arrived i would be done and out of there
This is fine for people like you, strong enough and savvy enough to be able to do your own emergency repairs, but what about the rest of us? A disabled, older lady? A teenager? Someone with their arm in a cast? The list goes on.....I had AAA from the time I got my driver's permit and now am looking into their retirement programs!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
AAA is completely worth it, imo. We have the family plan. There are 5 drivers in my household. It has paid for itself many times over.

Here's my latest example: teen is driving home on the highway at night (after work), and gets a flat. He calls AAA. They tell him to stay in his vehicle, turn his hazards on and wait. He could track the guy coming on his phone. They showed up within 15 minutes. Had flares, looked out for the safety of my teen and had the tire changed in minutes flat.

Now my teen can change a tire. Do I want him doing it on the side of a busy highway? Heck no. Can he do it as fast as someone who does it for a living? Heck no.

And that's just one example.

Like someone else mentioned, the discounts are pretty cool, too.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have AAA also and i love having it. i have used it a few times over the years, a tow here and there, lock out assistance, dead battery, flat tire. and while i have towing on my insurance also, with AAA i only pay the membership fee, and towing over a certain distance, and any emergency gasoline i might need. with state farm i pay the tow bill and they reimburse me. thus AAA helps out greatly.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
It's worth it no matter the age of the car.

The frustration though of a dead battery in a snow storm did ire me once. Triple A said, if the car is off the road in a safe zone, leave it there. Call a cab. I was flabbergasted! I was in a shopping mall area.
Cost me two hours of waiting for a cab and 35$ to get safely home! So while sometimes it's a false assurance that they will come to your aide...I have been privy to their provisions of when they will or Wil not assist.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's worth it no matter the age of the car.

The frustration though of a dead battery in a snow storm did ire me once. Triple A said, if the car is off the road in a safe zone, leave it there. Call a cab. I was flabbergasted! I was in a shopping mall area.
Cost me two hours of waiting for a cab and 35$ to get safely home! So while sometimes it's a false assurance that they will come to your aide...I have been privy to their provisions of when they will or Wil not assist.
having worked a road side assistance call center, i can tell you why in an ice storm AAA gave you the advice they did. chances are it would have taken at least 8, and more like 12 hours for them to get to you, at best. i remember trying to dispatch tow trucks to get people out of snowbanks, only to be told that the earliest ANY tow company could get to these people was 12 hours. i had one tow company say they couldnt get to them for two days, they had so much business. you are rather lucky you got a cab in two hours.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:06 PM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
AAA was so worthwhile for RV. Paid for itself on my first flat (carved up by nutty neighbor) and then double dead batteries...Policy covers all vehicles I own for 5 service stops/tows a year.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I get AAA for my wife, so she has someone to call wherever she is. If it was just me, I wouldn't bother.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
I live in a rural area where it is 50-100 miles between towns. We also do a lot of driving in isolated areas of the west. We have the extended 100 mile AAA towing. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere sucks, but having to pay several hundred dollars to get towed somewhere would too - and at least with AAA there is someone I can always call.

I've used them maybe 3 times in recent years. Once to two my car to a nearby shop, once for a neighbors car and once dummy here ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere with night coming on... and luckily the AAA truck was only 20 miles away and I was back on the road in about 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive