Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 21,707 times

Advertisements

I just bought my first car in April 2016. It's a 2013 ford fiesta, which I didn't realize had so many issues. Already, I've had the A/C go out that would be $1,000 to fix, there have been two recalls on the car - one was for the door latches which actually broke and I had to spend about a week with my seat belt around the door to keep it closed; the other was for something to do with the transmission that they had to reprogram. The car also vibrates for some reason when driving. They said something was wrong with the tire rounds.

I just don't want to have to deal with this. Obviously all cars are going to eventually have problems but it's only been six months and the car is barely making it.

I just want to know if its a good decision to trade the car in for something else or just stick it out for a little longer so trading won't look so bad on my credit history. I bought the car from a legit dealership but there is no warranty because its older then 3 years. Please give me some insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:10 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamCrackerLackin' View Post
I just bought my first car in April 2016. It's a 2013 ford fiesta, which I didn't realize had so many issues. Already, I've had the A/C go out that would be $1,000 to fix, there have been two recalls on the car - one was for the door latches which actually broke and I had to spend about a week with my seat belt around the door to keep it closed; the other was for something to do with the transmission that they had to reprogram. The car also vibrates for some reason when driving. They said something was wrong with the tire rounds.

I just don't want to have to deal with this. Obviously all cars are going to eventually have problems but it's only been six months and the car is barely making it.

I just want to know if its a good decision to trade the car in for something else or just stick it out for a little longer so trading won't look so bad on my credit history. I bought the car from a legit dealership but there is no warranty because its older then 3 years. Please give me some insight.

Thanks!
I have a 2014 Fiesta trouble free...I am so sorry! I would nonetheless recommend keeping what you have. A warranty does nothing to reduce your risk of dealing with recalls. As far as the A/C issue, yes it sucks to have to sometimes deal with car repairs, but it almost always costs less than the depreciation hit you'd take by trading it in at a dealership. And even brand new cars, if made poorly, could break down.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
It's it still under warranty? If so I'd buy an extended warranty and just keep it.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamCrackerLackin' View Post

Thanks!
for the a/c, shop around a bit, you can find places other than the dealer to make the repairs for a lot less money. call around to a few a/c specific shops and see what they say.

recalls happen for many cars for a variety of reasons, heed them.

as for the tires, get to a good tire shop in your area and have them check the issue out for you. chances are the tires need balancing.

when buying ANY car, new or used, understand that they will need things. no car is perfect since they are all built by human beings, for the most part.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I see only 1 problem. The AC needs to be fixed.

Recalls happen and are not reflective of the vehicle's expected reliability IMO. Something was made substandard, the automaker is backing their product, and fixing it.

Anyway, none of this sounds like reason to dump the car. You run the risk of suffering all these things with any car. Having a recall, needing a fix on a component, or needing tires balanced or replacing a bad one is not all that uncommon.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
When looking at the owner reviews on sites like JD Power, Edmunds, and Cars.com, I would probably avoid that one, but then the people posting reviews are mostly those who are unhappy with their car. Our last two new cars have had at least 2-3 recalls each, that has, unfortunately, become normal. AC is not critical except in very hot climates, but you can probably find a shop to repair it for less than that. The other items are safety issues, and if you lose confidence in the safety of your car, it may be better to trade it in. It's more cost effective to fix it, though, since you will probably not even get what you owe on the trade.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I would find out the numbers before making any decision. See what you can get as a trade or from an outright sale to CarMax if there is one nearby. If the numbers look like something that's within the range of what you want to pay to get up of the car, then I would do so because it sounds like that car has some issues. Recalls happen, but the air conditioning system should still be functional in a 2013. With new tires and an air conditioner, price the car now before you get into work because it may make sense to sell now and not spend the money to fix it.

A friend of mine took a bath on a Titanium Focus hatch with a bad dual clutch transmission as it shuddered badly and the dealer said nothing was wrong with the car. It was less than a year old and had been bought new, but they had zero confidence in the car, though they tried to buy an American marque, and ended up with a Honda.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-26-2016, 02:48 PM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
I feel your pain. My 2013 focus with the dual clutch is due for its 3rd shop visit for the dual clutch tranny. Never ford again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive