Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 PM

169 posts, read 186,982 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I'm in Los Angeles, and I've never sold a car before, so I'm a little unsure.

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D in Fair condition. It has about 150k miles on it, and KBB valued it at $1.1k. It goes well, but some things aren't working, like one headlight, ABS light is on, CD.
I'm moving out of state and not looking to make money off this. Just basically want to get rid of it and be done with it.

Do I just put it up on CL for like $1k, or is there a quicker way? Would some dealership take it for less but quicker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
You could go to a "we tote the note" type used car lot and probably get a few hundred, but it makes more sense to call
one of the charities like kars4kids, and donate it. They will pick it up, and you can take a tax deduction. Craigslist will only be a source of time consuming frustration with low ballers and scammers.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
you will get the most for it on Craigslist, just have a fair price.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
You are in a huge metro selling a cheap car, someone WILL buy it at the right price.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
Give it to charity and take the tax break, using the $1.1K figure or a higher figure if you can find another appraisal site,

Old 11-03-2016, 05:03 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
It's worth noting that "tax brakes" only help if you make enough money..... if you're driving a $1k car, you probably don't make Anywhere near enough money, I know that even with a household income approaching 6-figgures we don't even come Close to hitting the standard deductions.

If the vehicle runs/drives, has clean paperwork and stands even the slimmest of chances at passing emissions, it's easily worth $1k. I've never really had issues with scammers or lowballers via craigslist, but I stick to a "I'll talk price only face to face with cash on the table" policy.... and given that you just want to be rid of the vehicle, who cares if someone tries to offer you less. It's not like we're talking a lot of money here (though, that's all perspective...)

Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
$1K would move that car no problem. These days, finding a running $1K car is rare. Sure it has some issues, but someone will still buy it and fix it. Perfect car for a new driver.

I sold a non-drivable car for $1K on CL and had multiple calls. Car needed to be towed off, but it was still fairly easy.

If you just want it gone, there are a number of charities that will come out, and take it.

http://www.kars4kids.org/

You'll get a small tax break ,but it really doesn't amount to much. But, they take the car, you don't have to worry about shady craigslist people, and they sell the car and help out some kids.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
you will get the most for it on Craigslist, just have a fair price.
That's it.
Easy to sell if price is right.
Be sure to take cash paper money and meet in a public place with a friend during daylight hours.
Make sure to get a paper bill of sale with the buyers name and address. Do verify buyer by checking ID.

I sold a rusted beat up old car with a leaking gas tank off Craiglist. People will buy anything if the price is right.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Give it to charity and take the tax break, using the $1.1K figure or a higher figure if you can find another appraisal site,
That only helps you if you do a 1040 long form, itemizing deductions, and give a heck of a lot of items to charity. Otherwise, it doesn't count toward reducing your tax burden at all. OP can get the most out of selling a car from Craigslist. I have sold several vehicles and boats on Craigslist. I even sold a truck with a bad engine for $800. I told buyers there was something wrong with the engine, I offered no guarantees they could even drive it home, and I suggested whoever bought it tow it home rather than risk driving it. Despite this, it sold in just 3 HOURS

People endlessly complain about lowballers and scammers, but is it worth it to OP to get real money in his/her pocket? I'd rather have some bucks in my pocket than get nothing at all, so dealing with it is worth it in order to get money. I haven't had a lot of trouble with them anyway, and have actually had more hassle with lowballers when I sold higher priced cars.

I list vehicles at slightly under KBB, mentioned I would accept cash only, clear title in my name, any obvious defects, etc. When the person came over, I never budged on the price. They could take it or leave it, because there was always someone else willing to buy. But if you really want to sell you can negotiate if you want. Since your vehicle is inexpensive, you should get rid of it quickly if you go the CL route. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Donate it to the Los Angeles Mission. No hassle, no risk and you get to do a good thing and take a tax write off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive