Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you position wipers during snowfall?
Raise them up. 26 40.00%
Leave them down. 25 38.46%
Special trick. 4 6.15%
Case-by-case basis. 6 9.23%
I don't get snow. 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Silicone blades, no sticking to the glass.
You really think it's the "silicon blades" that don't stick to the windshield?? Ha! No. No such thing as a blade that cannot be frozen to a windshield. Maybe it has more to do with you being in SUGAR MILL FLORIDA?!?!?!

I don't do this but everyone at work seems to. One person started and everyone followed suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
With December upon us, I'm sure this will come up more than once for many people. I'm talking about snow. Whenever snow falls on your car, there's a matter of deciding what to do with your windshield wipers: raise them up or leave them down?

I read that people raise them so that the rubber doesn't stick to the glass when the temperature drops below freezing. At which point, separating them from the windshield later can damage the wipers. But I also read that leaving them raised up can overstretch the spring inside, causing it to become too loose, which reduces their effectiveness in clearing rain and snow off the windshield. Some people even use special tricks, like putting plastic bags over the wipers or placing a piece of cardboard on the windshield where the wipers make contact. And others decide on a case-by-case basis, like the amount or type of snow, like powder vs. slush. Even if you have a garage---in which case, this is irrelevant when you're at home---you still have to park your car outside on some occasions. Like when shopping or visiting a friend who only has street parking.

Around Chicago, I've been seeing wipers both up and down, with about an even split. Is the same true in other regions? What do people in general prefer to do?
Drive by a car dealer before a forecasted snow storm. You'll see all the wipers up.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
When we lived in Raleigh, we'd get as much ice as we would snow, so I would leave my wipers up if they called for winter weather. Our new house has a garage, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. :-)

Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Quote:
Looks like I may pick up a bottle of Prestone De-Icer too. Wouldn't hurt to have it in my trunk, at least.
Winter car kit for each vehicle. The scraper brush is relegated to clearing wheel wells, icy windows, and grills.

De-Icer

Sno-Brum

Scraper/brush (with longer arm)

Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Interesting! I never knew wipers like that existed.
Most wipers pop off pretty easily.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Rain-X used to have two formulas, one for summer/bugs, and one for winter/deicing. They combined them a couple years ago into a single product. I've been using it for years.
Rain-X is the bomb !

Living here in the PNW where it rains almost daily in the winter time it is a must have.

We do not get that much snow / ice in my area... and I also use the remote start in my Yukon which warms up my rig and also defrosts all the windows before I even walk outside.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Rain-X used to have two formulas, one for summer/bugs, and one for winter/deicing. They combined them a couple years ago into a single product. I've been using it for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Most wipers pop off pretty easily.
Not when they are covered with snow / ice and its dark out in the morning

Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
We do not get that much snow / ice in my area... and I also use the remote start in my Yukon which warms up my rig and also defrosts all the windows before I even walk outside.
Anyone with a decent modern car that remotely starts and warms up the car before getting into it, is doing a lot of damage to their car. IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR CAR TO WARM IT UP BY LETTING IT IDLE WHEN IN COLD WEATHER TO WARM IT UP. It is an old myth that this is good for a car, and is especially not good for fuel injected engines. Mechanics see someone doing that and they say to themselves, "There is someone that wants to give me some business". It helps keep them in business.

Do I need to warm up my car in winter? - Business Insider

Warming Up Your Car in the Cold Just Harms the Engine

Blog Post | Do cars need to warm up, on cold winter mornings? | Car Talk

Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
I live in New England and have yet to have any issues with my wipers sticking to the windshield. If my car is iced over I start it up and let it warm up. By the time its warm the window is deiced. If there is a lot of snow I use my arm and pull off what I can and then use my wipers to clean the rest off. In fact I don't even own an ice scraper. Its all defroster, wipers and arm.

I don't really care if warming up my car isn't good for it. Ill get rid of it long before if and when that would ever be an issue.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:14 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
I park in an outside lot in Minneapolis. Typically, I only see wipers raised when there is an ice storm in the forecast (which is the only time I raise them as well). Rarely if ever for just snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive