Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

If there is freezing rain, no matter what you are driving, you need to stop and go inside until it melts. I have experienced it several times and no way you can avoid sliding all over the road. In one case I had chained up the night before, but couldn't get into the SUV the next morning with 1/2" of ice coating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I'd be more concerned about what tires are on the vehicle, vs what the vehicle is, especially for rain (or freezing rain)

Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Larger 4WD SUV!
I AGREE! Don't get anything that doesn't have 4WD, but an SUV or a truck will handle best!

Old 12-13-2016, 06:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Subaru Outback or Forester?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:16 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd be more concerned about what tires are on the vehicle, vs what the vehicle is, especially for rain (or freezing rain)
+1 ... And a competent driver!!

A FWD car with Winter tires or good & neew all season tires will outperform a 4WD with marginal tires ... by a large margin.

Big SUVs are good at sliding off the road and rolling over :-)

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Nothing like Subaru AWD in foul weather. Gets me through anything, driven through 1 foot of water, snow, mud, wet grass, and ice. Watching people get stuck on the road even SUVs that claims to have AWD gets stuck in a snowstorm and my Subaru just goes about business.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This needs to be repeated.

Vehicle type won't matter, at all. If anything, a heavier vehicle in icy conditions just means more inertia, and harder to stop. AWD / 4WD only helps you start from a stop in slick conditions -- it doesn't effect stopping distance, and only has a moderate effect on handling.

The biggest difference will be the tires on the vehicle -- and sadly, most rental car places put cheap tires on their fleet.

Learn how to check tread depth (look up the penny trick). Look for the wear bars. If the tread is worn, ask for a different car. That said, if you're coming in late during the holidays, pickings will be slim. Rental car staff is already stressed enough has it is, and it isn't the counter agent's job to put tires on cars -- don't go complaining to them if the only car left on the lot has bald tires, or isn't the exact make / model shown on the reservation.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Not an RWD car I will tell you that especially a light one. AWD drive cars are better but you still have to drive carefully

Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
A lot of agencies have at least one or two Volvo V60 Cross Country wagons in their fleet. AWD, slightly higher ground clearance, turbo engine will help at high altitudes and the seats are so comfortable, I lake the words to describe them.

If you can't get a Volvo, the Jeep Grand Cherokee (4wd, obviously) is awfully nice and surprsingly fun to drive. I had one on my last visit to LA and I was pleasantly surprised when I floored it turned onto the on-ramp from LAX to the '405'. I was matching the 80+ mph speed of the rest of the traffic before I got to the top of the ramp. And it only had the standard V6.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I'll be driving this weekend from the desert to our high country - about 5500 foot elevation and planned to rent a car. Weather forecast calls for rain (possible freezing rain).
Can anyone recommend what class of car would be best to rent?
Was thinking intermediate SUV, or full size car would be better instead of a compact or economy car.

Don't drive in freezing rain.

Any front wheel drive vehicle is fine.

If you want extra security then rent any AWD vehicle.

Wouldn't recommend driving in dark if there potentially is ice on roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive