Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 PM

114 posts, read 148,251 times

Advertisements

Summary: complete traffic stop, car behind me gets rear ended and pushed into my car. Exchanged id and insurance information.

So this is hectic and confusing. I filed a claim and my insurance is one way so if I do any collision with the other car. Well the kid who messaged me said that his insurance is actually old and expired a month before the accident. The kid was driving a month he claims without insurance shouldn't he go to jail? He rear ended 2 cars. My dad says that now our insurance will pay for it. What the hell happens now? Seems like this kid will go away scott free when he rear ended me and another guy on the freeway.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:14 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
or pick the middle/average and not be a jackass about someone trying to stand up and right their wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Sorry... but that is dishonest. You do know that, right? what if the shoe were on the other foot? Would you be happy if he did that to you? If he agrees with it for your inconvenience, then it would be totally OK, and you should actually bring that up with him, IMO.
Before you guys recommend the Nobel Prize for the other driver for doing the right thing, and lecturing me about dishonesty - consider the facts. The OP, in his first post, said he'd just pocket the money and not fix the car. Also, it now appears that the other driver didn't have insurance. Better hold on calling Sweden...

Here's another thing. I have rental coverage with my insurance. If I made an agreement like this with someone who hit me, I'd have to pay the rental out of pocket while my car is in the shop. Why should I? That $100 or $200 difference between the estimates would cover a rental car. I wasn't suggesting getting a bogus estimate from your friend's uncle's shop that's $1000 higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbald42 View Post
Summary: complete traffic stop, car behind me gets rear ended and pushed into my car. Exchanged id and insurance information.

So this is hectic and confusing. I filed a claim and my insurance is one way so if I do any collision with the other car. Well the kid who messaged me said that his insurance is actually old and expired a month before the accident. The kid was driving a month he claims without insurance shouldn't he go to jail? He rear ended 2 cars. My dad says that now our insurance will pay for it. What the hell happens now? Seems like this kid will go away scott free when he rear ended me and another guy on the freeway.
As others have said, that right there is why you always get a police report. I got rear ended back in 2008. Other driver didn't want me to call the police, but I called anyway. An officer came out to the scene, took everyone's info and wrote up a report. I got a call a few days later from my insurance company. Guess what? The guy's insurance card was a forgery. It was a doctored photocopy of someone else's expired insurance policy. Lucky for me, I had uninsured motorist coverage. Not so lucky was the guy who hit me, as he ended up getting locked up for presenting that fake insurance card to a police officer, not having valid insurance, etc.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Was in a 3 car accident. The car behind me got hit by a car and that car pushed into mines. pretty minor on my end more like a scratch and slight dent. Guy who caused the whole accident wants to pay out of pocket for the damages, my dad wants to go through insurance. To me it is pretty minor and I won't even fix it and will probably just pocket the money. He says just give him the quote and he will pay it immediately. I figure I just get a quote for it, show the guy how much it costs then he will give me straight cash for it. Then I will pocket the money. What do you guys think? Go through insurance or have him pay out of pocket?
I'd just do the cash for such light damage. BUT in this day and age you have to have proof of what happened and the damage....pics and estimate, something written by him that he'll pay a reasonable amt for the fix, or the like. You can't trust anyone these days. It would've been best to get a check at the time for what you thought the fix might cost. (You'd be surprised what fixing a bumper can cost these days...if yu even care. If it's an old car with existing dents, I don't know if I'd bother fixing it.)

What if he just decides not to pay you? What do you do then? How do you prove he even hit your car?

For such little things, I've never demanded insurance, or been required to put it thru my insurance. But that was years ago. People aren't so reasonable these days.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Before you guys recommend the Nobel Prize for the other driver for doing the right thing, and lecturing me about dishonesty - consider the facts. The OP, in his first post, said he'd just pocket the money and not fix the car. Also, it now appears that the other driver didn't have insurance. Better hold on calling Sweden...

Here's another thing. I have rental coverage with my insurance. If I made an agreement like this with someone who hit me, I'd have to pay the rental out of pocket while my car is in the shop. Why should I? That $100 or $200 difference between the estimates would cover a rental car. I wasn't suggesting getting a bogus estimate from your friend's uncle's shop that's $1000 higher.

As others have said, that right there is why you always get a police report. I got rear ended back in 2008. Other driver didn't want me to call the police, but I called anyway. An officer came out to the scene, took everyone's info and wrote up a report. I got a call a few days later from my insurance company. Guess what? The guy's insurance card was a forgery. It was a doctored photocopy of someone else's expired insurance policy. Lucky for me, I had uninsured motorist coverage. Not so lucky was the guy who hit me, as he ended up getting locked up for presenting that fake insurance card to a police officer, not having valid insurance, etc.
Yeah this kid needs to be buried. I feel like I am about to get royally screwed when this kid caused a 2 car collission, damaged my vehicle, plus gave me a bunch of headache during my finals week. I was already stressed as it is. What the hell happens to this guy? If this guy gets out of punishment scott free then why buy insurance.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:50 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Before you guys recommend the Nobel Prize for the other driver for doing the right thing, and lecturing me about dishonesty - consider the facts. The OP, in his first post, said he'd just pocket the money and not fix the car. Also, it now appears that the other driver didn't have insurance. Better hold on calling Sweden....
Wow, Don't go acting all high and mighty because of the way it ended up turning out. Either way, IMO you made a real dick suggestion to cheat the guy who up to that point was mostly acting on the up and up. The OP could have always decided later to fix his car if it ended up bothering him down the road. In reality, I am sure most of us already guessed that he wasn't going to have insurance.

Quote:
Here's another thing. I have rental coverage with my insurance. If I made an agreement like this with someone who hit me, I'd have to pay the rental out of pocket while my car is in the shop. Why should I? That $100 or $200 difference between the estimates would cover a rental car. I wasn't suggesting getting a bogus estimate from your friend's uncle's shop that's $1000 higher. .
And how long do you think he would leave his car for a scratch on his bumper??

Quote:
-

Yeah this kid needs to be buried. I feel like I am about to get royally screwed when this kid caused a 2 car collission, damaged my vehicle, plus gave me a bunch of headache during my finals week. I was already stressed as it is. What the hell happens to this guy? If this guy gets out of punishment scott free then why buy insurance.
Well its called uninsured/underinsured motorist. I believe its part of the legal minimum requirements and you should be covered. I don't know any further on whether or not you would still have to pay your deductible or end up getting reimbursed by suing him.

I think In the end, considering you weren't going to do anything about it anyways; its probably best to just learn to get a police report every time, and remember that every time you see that scratch.. If you end up reporting it to your insurance and having them fix it, it will stay on the vehicles history report that an insurance claim was filed to repair it. When you go to sell it, people won't know if that means T-boned, or scratched when seeing that report.

P.S. OP, what kind of car is it?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Wow, Don't go acting all high and mighty because of the way it ended up turning out. Either way, IMO you made a real dick suggestion to cheat the guy who up to that point was mostly acting on the up and up. The OP could have always decided later to fix his car if it ended up bothering him down the road. In reality, I am sure most of us already guessed that he wasn't going to have insurance.

And how long do you think he would leave his car for a scratch on his bumper??

Well its called uninsured/underinsured motorist. I believe its part of the legal minimum requirements and you should be covered. I don't know any further on whether or not you would still have to pay your deductible or end up getting reimbursed by suing him.

I think In the end, considering you weren't going to do anything about it anyways; its probably best to just learn to get a police report every time, and remember that every time you see that scratch..

P.S. OP, what kind of car is it?
yes! definitely learn my lesson. First car accident so now I know. ****ing police, I can't even trust those guys anymore. I told him this is my first car accident and to tell me exactly what I need to do. Actually me and the car behind me told him that. Police officer was like just take a photo of his insurance and his ID make sure to get his vm number and that was that. Then I was like are we good to go? Then he was like yeah you guys are good. Now I know to get the police officer name, where he works, police report, every thing. Lesson learned is not to trust anyone and even people you think are on your side, can't believe them either.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
hopefully, you guys have UM coverage.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Ha! This just happened to me a few hours ago. Other driver hit a patch of ice and lost control, sliding into me while I was waiting to merge onto a busy cross street just a couple of blocks from my house. No injuries. Moderate cosmetic damage to rear bumper of a semi-luxury SUV. Will need replaced and then painted to blend, so it's not going to be cheap. No police report. Called insurance company and photographed damage on both cars, plus the other driver's plate, registration, proof of insurance and the young man's driver's license. Received a call from my insurance company earlier this evening. He took responsibility for the accident, I have an appointment with the collision center day after tomorrow, and the my insurance company will provide a rental. No financial penalty for me, and no deductible due. Second time my car has been hit in a little over a year. At least this time the driver stuck around rather than leaving the scene.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've done the nice guy thing and let someone pay out of pocket and it always comes back to bite me in the ass.

I'll give a guy a quote, and he'll think it's too high, or find his cousin louie who will do it for 10% of the quote I got or something like that.

It usually ends up one of two ways.

#1) Person who hits me thinks all the quotes are too high and wants me to use their person or someone I don't trust to do the work

#2) I use "their guy" or the guy with the lowest quote and it ends up being a **** poor job and I'm unhappy with it.

So, I typically just go through the insurance because I want my car repaired the way I want it, and with the least amount of hassle. I really don't care about the other guy's rates going up. Consider it a lesson learned to drive better.
This. Exactly this.
Many people will say or do anything just to get away. Once they are gone it's on YOU to collect. And it becomes a hassle. Many people also don't have the time knowledge or resources to collect or enforce a collection. Not to mention rarely do people actually have the money to cover ALL the expenses incurred in a accident.

Thats why I have high insurance coverages and underinsured/uninsured. . At a accident I always call a LEO. No matter what happens you're hurt. Sometimes pain won't show up for a day maybe two. Usually you're do pumped with adrenaline a slight injury wont even be felt at the time. I had a accident once where the guy simply refused to call his company to give them his side of the story. His insurance told me basically pound sand. I called my insurance ad a lawyer. Magically the guy responded.

I don't much care about the guys car or his problems. I just want to get my car fixed, make sure I'm physically ok and get on with my life.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
yes! definitely learn my lesson. First car accident so now I know. ****ing police, I can't even trust those guys anymore. I told him this is my first car accident and to tell me exactly what I need to do. Actually me and the car behind me told him that. Police officer was like just take a photo of his insurance and his ID make sure to get his vm number and that was that. Then I was like are we good to go? Then he was like yeah you guys are good. Now I know to get the police officer name, where he works, police report, every thing. Lesson learned is not to trust anyone and even people you think are on your side, can't believe them either.

Sorry this happened! Your insurance will pay for any damage if you put in a claim, but you will need to pay your deductible. I would take him to small claims court so you can try to get your deductible back. If you go to the police department, they may do something about him not having valid insurance coverage and ticket him which then he may even have to go to traffic court. It's hard to say because every state is different, but I'd definitely go to the police department and let them know that the guy who hit you didn't have valid insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive