Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I drive like an old lady, actually LOL I only go 5 miles over ever. But some of the roads are 70MPH I drive on. But I will look at it.
Maybe you'd better not. You might get hooked, which could lead to trouble with the law.
Those Fusion Sports run like a scalded cat. And they are less than $40K, brand new, all loaded up.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-19-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 10:55 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,292 times
Quote:
Starting my second year in the great frozen north, I have decided I want to sell my light weight 2 wheel drive car and get something more suited to winter driving. The main issue is that, if there is snow on the road, I cant get up the hill to my house and I slide like crazy getting up the hill to my kid's school. My husband has a BMW sedan with AWD and has none of the trouble I have (and I am a much better driver then he is LOL). A lot of people have told me switching to AWD or 4WD will really help.

But I am not sure where to start. So I thought I would ask some car buffs for ideas.

Wants:
AWD or 4WD (which is better?)
good gas milage/low emissions
family sized car (either roomy back seat or 3rd row)
Not to high off the ground (bad knee)
If it has a 5th door, I want it to be automatic
A few luxury items would be nice, like blue tooth, heated seats, nice rear camera, safety options
Safe
A lot of cargo space

I would like it to be under 40k but am flexible.

Ideas?
Many ideas, and many opinions, all based on subjective experience and preferences will be offered. You really haven't narrowed this down enough yet for us to be incredibly helpful. I'm a fleet guy and can offer some insight after decades of driving up Nort' in da snow.
1. AWD is generally "better" in most cases because it requires no inputs and won't be an afterthought.
2. Good gas mileage/low emissions but spacious/3rd seat/AWD are all kinda mutually exclusive
3. Not too high off ground - knee issue makes me think smaller crossover
4. A few luxury items - almost all SUV or crossovers now qualify
5. Safe is everything modern really
6. Cargo space - we have owned 3 Suburbans and 1 Expedition EL for large family

Suggestions:
Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia
Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango
Nissan Pathfinder (Upgrade - base model cheap interior sucks)
Ford Explorer

Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Different people have different ideas of what they mean by the "great frozen north", but here in Vermont we probably drive more Subarus than anything else. I would suggest a Legacy or an Outback, although it's been a while since we've owned one.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Starting my second year in the great frozen north, I have decided I want to sell my light weight 2 wheel drive car and get something more suited to winter driving. The main issue is that, if there is snow on the road, I cant get up the hill to my house and I slide like crazy getting up the hill to my kid's school. My husband has a BMW sedan with AWD and has none of the trouble I have (and I am a much better driver then he is LOL). A lot of people have told me switching to AWD or 4WD will really help.

But I am not sure where to start. So I thought I would ask some car buffs for ideas.

Wants:
AWD or 4WD (which is better?)
good gas milage/low emissions
family sized car (either roomy back seat or 3rd row)
Not to high off the ground (bad knee)
If it has a 5th door, I want it to be automatic
A few luxury items would be nice, like blue tooth, heated seats, nice rear camera, safety options
Safe
A lot of cargo space

I would like it to be under 40k but am flexible.

Ideas?
This is easy.

A Subaru Outback will meet all of your requirements and easily under $40,000, even you decided to shoot the works and buy a loaded Limited trim level or a Touring trim level.

I bought my 2013 Outback for pretty much the same reasons that you stated except I bought the base 2.5i model, which has almost no luxury items (my only regret).

Go test drive one and decide for yourself.

Last edited by phlinak; 12-19-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Honda CR-V AWD.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
2017 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD

Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 PM

676 posts, read 726,450 times
If it was me and I could afford it, I would go with a nice suburban 4x4.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Thanks everyone...great advice all around. Now I have a place to start research. I sure love the look of the Outbacks so I am going to go look at one

Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
I'd look at Subaru's, Toyota Highlander's, and Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave (as they are all the same model)

Old 12-19-2016, 03:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I'd look at Subaru's, Toyota Highlander's, and Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave (as they are all the same model)
The new Acadia is now a little bit smaller than the Traverse/Enclave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive