Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Honda Pilot

Dont buy a domestic, if you do, bookmark this post and get back to me a year later.
I dismiss nothing, from anywhere. The more choices the better.
You could've posted this years ago and you'd still be waiting to hear from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While I really like our Volvo v70 XC awd, it is tight or four people. I cannot imagine cramming 7 into it unless 5 of them were under 8 years of age.

I am a bit frustrated with our wagon today having gotten stuck in the snow for an hour this morning. But it was my fault, not the car, I could not get the windows clear fast enough and rather than waiting I tried to back out of our 180' driveway and went too far to one side.

Volvos are not perfect but they have some great features and some not so great:

Fantastic AWD system. Ours has three modes sport, economy (fwd) and winter. They do not do much and the winter one is really only for really severe conditions, but nice to have if needed.

Loads of bells and whistles and more buttons than a button factory.

The best heated seats I have encountered.

Weird 5 cylinder engine (if you like weird engine configurations).

Very little road noise.

Everything is heated and everything has wipers to wipe it.

Decent gas mileage.

Reasonably comfortable for four small people. Kinda tough for tall/big people.

Really expensive parts and unnecessary complicated repairs. DIY is tough. Lots of specialized tools required.

You can get "high mileage club" sticker at 200,000 miles.

Rather anemic acceleration for a 5 cylinder turbo.

Still going strong at over 250,000 miles. (yes it has some issues that are too expensive to repair, but overall, chugging right along).

Boxy, but good.
I don't have the repair problems. I know someone with the tools and over 20 years experience working on them. I have an R engine in my XC90. Yes, the heated seats are the best. I didn't have the 3rd row seat in mine but I imagine it would be much like my XC90. I cart kids and their friends around and I believe the OP has kids similar in age to mine.

If the OP has a BMW they are probably aware of the really expensive parts/repair bills if the car is out of warranty.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
...and if I don't?
Looking like an ass is a personal choice. Most generally choose to avoid it, but you're the master of your own destiny.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While I really like our Volvo v70 XC awd, it is tight or four people. I cannot imagine cramming 7 into it unless 5 of them were under 8 years of age.

I am a bit frustrated with our wagon today having gotten stuck in the snow for an hour this morning. But it was my fault, not the car, I could not get the windows clear fast enough and rather than waiting I tried to back out of our 180' driveway and went too far to one side.

Volvos are not perfect but they have some great features and some not so great:

Fantastic AWD system. Ours has three modes sport, economy (fwd) and winter. They do not do much and the winter one is really only for really severe conditions, but nice to have if needed.

Which Carmaker Has The Worst AWD System?

Well this article on Jalopnik just poked fun at Volvo V70 AWD being one of the worst. I don't think it's the worst but it's not that capable if you look closely at Volvo's AWD tech. It's not a true active real-time AWD system.

It's a Haldex system which is another reactive AWD system that can only send up to 70% of power to the rear when slip is detected otherwise it's a FWD biased drive system.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V70

The magic is that newer gen Volvos and VW that uses Haldex AWD relies more on the Traction control system to engage the Haldex AWD controller. So it can appear like a good torque sensing AWD system but in reality it is reactive and not always engaged. You will have a second of slippage followed by traction.

Take Audi which uses Torsen AWD, it has an active AWD system that is constantly adjusting power front and rear. It has a near 50/50 balance which gives it better performance and instant traction at all times. Same with Subaru is that most have a near 50/50 power split except for automatic Subarus that are generally 65/35 power split.

What does this mean, it means that on a slippery road that Audis and Subarus will have better traction on any surface without any lag compare to Haldex which does need switch from FWD to AWD when the wheels slip.

I think Volvo's AWD system is fine for most roads but it's not great compared to Audi or Subaru in performance in slippery conditions. Say you're driving and hit a patch of ice sheets at 40mph, the instant you lose grip on the front and Volvo's system tries to negotiate grip you're likely going sideways too late for the rear to catch up. For Audi or Subaru, the minute you enter the ice, there's enough power split in the rear to keep you from sliding that the car won't lose grip completely.

Last edited by vision33r; 12-21-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 12:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Looking like an ass is a personal choice. Most generally choose to avoid it, but you're the master of your own destiny.
Actually, you're the one who looks like an ass, getting all butthurt every time someone answers your question literally and honestly. Most would get the joke and move on with their lives.

But, as you say, you're the master of your own destiny.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,744 times
OP, buy a AWD/4WD beater and use it in the winter months. It absorbs all of the salt crap, potential wreck crap and you don't really care what happens to it. Drive your current vehicle the other 8-9 months.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 PM

269 posts, read 247,267 times
I recommend getting a Subaru Outback, Forester, CrossTrek, Impreza, or Legacy. They are all wheel drive all the time. I bought a new Outback last weekend and I'm loving it!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:07 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
My friend has an Outback by Subaru. She loves it and lives in a very snowy area with high altitude...

Old 12-21-2016, 07:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
I have driven many a Volvo AWD without issue in unplowed snow, and the cars handle just fine, though the newer models can be a bit more finicky starting from a stop in slippery conditions because they don't have the manually engaged "W" mode, which locks out lower gears to allow for smoother starts. For a real-world vehicle driven on snow/ice covered paved roads, the Volvo handles well, provided tires are good and the driver knows what they are doing.

Subaru has a good AWD, but the interiors lag behind the competition and since I am not a fanboy, I don't see the need for one for me, personally, as Volvo, Audi, and Mercedes wagons tend to have a better mix of performance and features. New, the Audi and Mercedes will be more expensive than the preferred price point, for the E-Class and the Allroad. The E-starts at about $60k, so well equipped will be in the $70k region. The Allroad is around $40k base, so might be worth a look, though a CPO E-Class might also be a consideration.

Since you have good luck with the BMW X-drive system, why not an X3? The height may be an issue, however, but it's not as tall as larger crossovers. Base prices are around $40k, so depending upon options, might not be a bad consideration for your preferred budget.

As others have mentioned, the fuel economy can be an issue when looking at an AWD/4WD, though Subaru has gotten better in this regard, but with a CVT. However, if considering Subaru, the Outback V6 is the only one I would buy as the 4-cylinder has lackluster performance, and the vehicle does not have the premium feel for the price point when equipped with luxury and safety options. The 3.6 is around $40k, give or take, since you can only get it on higher trim models, and with the V6 fuel economy will suffer, but the 4-cylinder is anemic given the weight of the wagon.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, you're the one who looks like an ass, getting all butthurt every time someone answers your question literally and honestly.
I see reading comprehension isn't your strongest suit any more than understanding humor and sarcasm. I haven't asked one single question in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive