Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:09 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,385,754 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the spelling mistake on the title "Why do they insist in twin turbo IF single has proven a better option

Excellent video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZODU3XWlg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
a better option for who? perhaps in the case in the video, a single turbo might be the better option, however given the same technology a twin turbo set up can be very efficient, especially at low speeds where the smaller and lighter twin turbos will spool up faster building boost quicker.

you cannot judge choosing a single turbo over twins based on one particular application. a well designed system, single or twin, will work very well.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a better option for who? perhaps in the case in the video, a single turbo might be the better option, however given the same technology a twin turbo set up can be very efficient, especially at low speeds where the smaller and lighter twin turbos will spool up faster building boost quicker.

you cannot judge choosing a single turbo over twins based on one particular application. a well designed system, single or twin, will work very well.
Good point, the thing is i've always heard that twins are good for low rpm power and less turbo lag, but from what i red on new turbo technology, with the right turbo you will barely notice any leg. I have a 2015 BMW x1 which has two turbo's and i have a 2016 mercedes c class which has a single turbo, and honestly i could not tell by driving which has one and which has twin turbo.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times
Depends on turbo set up.

Standard waste gated system vs variable geometry system/variable vane system.

Gas or diesel?

I'd gladly use the Garret VGT turbo found on early build 03 6.0s IF I were to build an LS V8 with a turbo.
Or even the Borg Warner sequential VGT system found on 6.4s... A low pressure/high pressure VGT system using an electric VGT actuator opposed to a VGT solenoid utilizing oil pressure to move the unison ring which controls the vanes.

All depends on what you're doing in the end...

Old 12-27-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Good point, the thing is i've always heard that twins are good for low rpm power and less turbo lag, but from what i red on new turbo technology, with the right turbo you will barely notice any leg. I have a 2015 BMW x1 which has two turbo's and i have a 2016 mercedes c class which has a single turbo, and honestly i could not tell by driving which has one and which has twin turbo.
Hehe turbo lag...

Only honda civic fast and furious fanboys speak of turbo lag, because they stuff large turbos on an engine that can't produce enough exhaust to spool up.

Only time I've ever experienced "turbo lag" was when the vanes stuck in a VGT turbo... Or if a wastegate didn't function properly...

Old 12-27-2016, 02:52 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,250,189 times
Quote:
Uh, that's because they are completely different cars.

The Porsche 911 turbo uses twin turbos, as does the McLaren P1, which is one of the most sophisticated and expensive cars on the planet. My Mercedes E550 has twin turbos.

A single turbo is used for small engines, like 2.5 liters and smaller generally. You don't need a twin turbo design for that, because the displacement isn't large enough to require a second turbo.

In the case of racing cars, some people swap out twin turbos for a very large single turbo, because they plan on running a huge amount of boost pressure. Those engines are usually quite peaky, with not much usable power until you get to 5k rpm and higher. Most cars like this are setup to run the quarter mile, half mile, or even 1 mile races, or just to be a dyno queen.

Bottom line, the twin turbo system gives you the most usable powerband and engine flexibility, IF the engine is large enough to make use of a second turbo.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Uh, that's because they are completely different cars.

The Porsche 911 turbo uses twin turbos, as does the McLaren P1, which is one of the most sophisticated and expensive cars on the planet. My Mercedes E550 has twin turbos.

A single turbo is used for small engines, like 2.5 liters and smaller generally. You don't need a twin turbo design for that, because the displacement isn't large enough to require a second turbo.

In the case of racing cars, some people swap out twin turbos for a very large single turbo, because they plan on running a huge amount of boost pressure. Those engines are usually quite peaky, with not much usable power until you get to 5k rpm and higher. Most cars like this are setup to run the quarter mile, half mile, or even 1 mile races, or just to be a dyno queen.

Bottom line, the twin turbo system gives you the most usable powerband and engine flexibility, IF the engine is large enough to make use of a second turbo.
Not always it depends. When i lived in the US i had a box mustang with 0.7 A/R on it an it had power everywhere. I upgrade to a twin turbo because i wanted to try it...It was way harder to tune and wasn't getting the same power.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:02 PM

42 posts, read 75,911 times
One thing you also gotta remember is that there is ALWAYS a small amount of parasitic drain FROM the turbo, which is why the Twin Turbo Hennessy Viper can for lack of a better word blow away the Bugatti Veyron in a straight line and best the Standing Mile by 20MPH - 204MPH to 224MPH. The Bugatti has four turbos over 16 cylinders whereas the Viper has two on a very large displacement V10.

Turbos have certainly improved, from horrible ones in the 80s to even Supercars of that same era that needed such a long time to spool up. Even the XJ220 went to a twin turbo V6 and people didn't like it.

The video probably also is referencing that an Inline 6, such as that on an RB26DETT is supposed to be the best design. I would say an Inline 5 is also a great engine design, and would agree it is hard to beat an Inline 6. Even Ford F150 up to 1996 had that as its engine.

Small engines with huge turbos also blow up the engine frequently. Civics like EBay Turbos, they can be quick but no idea if they last. Civics are also stolen way too much to be a serious option, especially in a big city though people steal them from rich areas, about the only defense is to 1. Have a manual transmission car and 2. Have it in a garage. Beyond that, they all have windows which can be broken..............

Old 12-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Not always it depends. When i lived in the US i had a box mustang with 0.7 A/R on it an it had power everywhere. I upgrade to a twin turbo because i wanted to try it...It was way harder to tune and wasn't getting the same power.
You mean that anemic 2.3 turbo mustang? That would be why, not producing enough exhaust gas to run 2 larger turbos, if you were to run 2 turbos on that, they would be tiny probably fit in your hand to power it properly, you would have quite a dead spot for sure running 2 turbos on that. From off idle to probably 3-4000rpm... You'd be running 2 exhaust ports per each turbo, that turbo, I'm assuming, used to be driven by 4 exhaust ports...

If you swapped that 4cyl out for a 302/351 and put 2 of those turbos one on each bank you'd probably twist the driveshaft like a pretzel then the unibody would flex until the windshield/rear window cracked...

Old 12-27-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You mean that anemic 2.3 turbo mustang? That would be why, not producing enough exhaust gas to run 2 larger turbos, if you were to run 2 turbos on that, they would be tiny probably fit in your hand to power it properly, you would have quite a dead spot for sure running 2 turbos on that. From off idle to probably 3-4000rpm... You'd be running 2 exhaust ports per each turbo, that turbo, I'm assuming, used to be driven by 4 exhaust ports...

If you swapped that 4cyl out for a 302/351 and put 2 of those turbos one on each bank you'd probably twist the driveshaft like a pretzel then the unibody would flex until the windshield/rear window cracked...
No. with the 4.6 V-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive