Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

Donate it and take the current blue book value as a tax deduction. If you do then notify immediately to the DMV of the transfer for liability assurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
Does Carmax decline to take a car or they will always offer you sth? I want to make sure that I can dump the car if I drive 15min to the carmax and spend my time there. If no guarantee, I guess it will go to some charity for less trouble.
I think that if it drives, they'll offer you something. This would be the most hassle free way of doing things.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Donate it and take the current blue book value as a tax deduction. .

And then pay back the deduction and a fine when the IRS tells you bluebook deductions for donated cars went away a decade or more ago.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM

270 posts, read 833,365 times
How some of you know it was a taurus? LOL

It's indeed a Taurus but not SHO, just the top trim it has during the Gen4 (I don't think they had the SHO for Gen4). The tranny fluid was drained and refilled maybe three years ago (1-1.5 yrs before the final lose of 4th gear).

Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niubee43V3R View Post
How some of you know it was a taurus? LOL

It's indeed a Taurus but not SHO, just the top trim it has during the Gen4 (I don't think they had the SHO for Gen4). The tranny fluid was drained and refilled maybe three years ago (1-1.5 yrs before the final lose of 4th gear).
Given how common the Taurus is and how often they have problems with the transmissions when they get long in the tooth, it is a reasonable guess. Otherwise I have no idea how they guessed. Did you poast about it on some other thread?

Taurus was the most successful sedan ever I think. I never understood the idea once they built such great name recognition when they decided to change the name to some number.

That might be a good thread topic: How many people have never owner a Taurus/Sable.

Follow Up: How many who have owned a Taurus/Sable with over 150,000 miles have not had transmission problems/failure?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That might be a good thread topic: How many people have never owner a Taurus/Sable.

Follow Up: How many who have owned a Taurus/Sable with over 150,000 miles have not had transmission problems/failure?

Taurus is one of those cars where it falls apart at 60K, or the damn thing goes to 200K without issue.

I think I have a coworker with 245K on his and he never puts a cent into the damn thing. I think it's only on it's second set of spark plugs.

The Fusion is really the car that should have been renamed the Taurus. Ford's latest mid-size sedan is carrying the torch originally lit by the Taurus. Ford should debuted the 2006 Fusion as the 2007 Taurus when they phased it out.

I drive a late-model Taurus now (2014) and I don't see it as the same as the earlier cars, mostly because of it's size. It's disappointing that Ford chose to phase it out and hasn't bothered with a single major change from '13-17. You could buy a 2017 Taurus, and it looks exactly like a '13 inside and out with same features. Disappointing.

The new Chinese market Taurus is beautiful, but no plans to bring it here. So looks like after 2017, the Taurus only lives on in China

Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
When the taurus first came out,I had a choice, taurus or bonneville. Boneville one due to the 3.8 supercharged drivetrain. That car ran a good long time, with minimal problems.

The taurus name did get some high marks on durability and consumers who refuse to consider Japanese. That 4 door Accord came out at the same time, and it turned out to be an epic model.

I cant see the taurus as a car to keep forever. It is just not that special.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:26 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
And then pay back the deduction and a fine when the IRS tells you bluebook deductions for donated cars went away a decade or more ago.
The IRS allows the taxpayer to claim a charitable tax deduction as follows:
We make it easy to get the maximum tax deduction for your vehicle donation! Simply filling out the quick form to the right (or call 1-877-431-9474) and we take care of the rest. Your vehicle is picked up, sold, and proceeds benefit your local Make-A-Wish®, but you also get a 100% deductible receipt.
If the donated vehicle is sold for less than $500, you can claim the fair market value of your vehicle up to $500 or the amount it is sold for if less than fair market value.
If the donated vehicle sells for more than $500, you can claim the exact amount for which the vehicle is sold.
If it sells for Blue Book Value you take that deduction.
http://www.wheelsforwishes.org/irs-c...x-information/

Determine the car's fair market value...
The IRS suggests that you use a reputable used-car price guide to calculate your deduction when using fair market value. For example, go to your local library and obtain a recent copy of the Kelley Blue Book. Search the private party prices for your vehicle based on its make, model and overall condition. This type of search can be done on the Internet as well.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF14391.html

Last edited by wit-nit; 01-19-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The IRS allows the taxpayer to claim a charitable tax deduction as follows:
We make it easy to get the maximum tax deduction for your vehicle donation! Simply filling out the quick form to the right (or call 1-877-431-9474) and we take care of the rest. Your vehicle is picked up, sold, and proceeds benefit your local Make-A-Wish®, but you also get a 100% deductible receipt.
If the donated vehicle is sold for less than $500, you can claim the fair market value of your vehicle up to $500 or the amount it is sold for if less than fair market value.
If the donated vehicle sells for more than $500, you can claim the exact amount for which the vehicle is sold.
If it sells for Blue Book Value you take that deduction.
2016 Car Donation Tax Deduction Answers - IRS Car Donation

Determine the car's fair market value...
The IRS suggests that you use a reputable used-car price guide to calculate your deduction when using fair market value. For example, go to your local library and obtain a recent copy of the Kelley Blue Book. Search the private party prices for your vehicle based on its make, model and overall condition. This type of search can be done on the Internet as well.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF14391.html
First this is make a wish - not IRS. These are people making profit off of car donations (a little bit goes to the charity too).

However this is really not different than what I said. Read it carefully. You get a deduction for what they sell it for, not for Kelly Blue book value. They suggest looking at KBB for an idea of what it might sell for, but that is stupid. Everyone who knows cars knows KBB is way high almost all the time.

The $500 or less number is misleading. It used to be you could just claim $500 and everyone would look the other way. However now you can claim $500 only if it sells for $500. If it sells for less, you can only claim the amount of the sale. In other words if it sells for $60 you can claim $60. You only get blue book value if it sells for blue book value. And it will never sell for blue book value.

There is only one situation where you get to use fair market value based off guides and even in that situation you will have a hard time convincing the IRS KBB is actually true market value (because it is not). The situation you can take a market value write off is if you find a charity that does not sell the car, but keeps it and uses it for charity purposes. Used to be that also included charities like LA mission that use the car to train people how to fix up and sell cars and then offer the cars to underprivileged people at a massively discounted price. I am not sure if they still allow that.

However for 99% of the car donation charities, the car will be sold for whatever they can get for it and that is the maximum deduction you can take.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 PM

270 posts, read 833,365 times
I've decided to donate my old car to charity (just not worth the time and hassle to sell it anywhere, plus it's still eating my insurance money).

Anyway, just want to find a reputable, reliable charity to pick up the car along with proper title transfer. I've seen one online ad of charity claiming they could even take care of the license plate etc, so I don't even need to line up at MVA to return the plate and such, but looks a little too shady overall.

Can you guys recommend some reliable charity car donation taker that know what they are doing (i.e. taking title and everything). I've heard recommendation on purple heart, salvation army and goodwill car donations, kars4kids, national kidney foundation and NPR as well. Among the four, my impression is only goodwill and kidney foundation i haven't seen neg reviews or bad experiences. What's your experience? I live in MD (DC-B'more corridor). I only want a painless transaction, and I know I won't get much back for the car. The battery died (after sitting for two months, was out traveling, my bad) this morning after a quick drive (so it needs a jump to move).

Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive