Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM

926 posts, read 829,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I forgot that you don't have a garage so no EV for you unless it has a range extender.
i3 has a verson with one but it's a joke, can't even drive full speed with it. That leaves Volt and ELR.
And you don't like coupes so that leaves only the Volt.
Eh, The Volt is decent and the ELR is ugly. The only pro of getting a electric vehicle that I see is I'll never have to pay for gas because charging stations are free. I'll try to test drive a Volt today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM

926 posts, read 829,844 times
I looked at the Volt today, although I didn't test drive it, just sitting in it made me feel out of place. The car doesn't describe me and it's Prius-grade interior is awful. It didn't seem like a bad car, it just doesn't seem fitting. It had heated seats, which was nice, but that was about it.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I looked at the Volt today, although I didn't test drive it, just sitting in it made me feel out of place. The car doesn't describe me and it's Prius-grade interior is awful. It didn't seem like a bad car, it just doesn't seem fitting. It had heated seats, which was nice, but that was about it.
You didn't drive it, so you totally missed the point. The smoothness, torque and refinement of EV powertrains has to be experienced.
May be best served by a Korean car, since you seem to care a lot about more superficial aspects of the cars you look at.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:14 AM

So, I looked around in your neck of the woods to see what was out there based on the following criteria...

Champagne taste, beer budget.
Like German cars, especially Audis.
Don't drive much, so, try to keep per mile cost down and not get creamed by depreciation.
Unlikely to be a long term owner.

I picked this.
Used 2007 Audi A6 3.2 with Tiptronic for Sale in Raleigh NC 27604 Triangle Imports
Actually quite nice, assuming everything works.
I looked at the pics for things like various scuffs, rashed wheels, messed up wood, cheap tires, etc. Saw none of that.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-01-2017 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
You didn't drive it, so you totally missed the point. The smoothness, torque and refinement of EV powertrains has to be experienced.
May be best served by a Korean car, since you seem to care a lot about more superficial aspects of the cars you look at.
On the contrary... 100% of the time you're driving a car, you have to be inside it. If OP feels he can't live with the interior, the driving experience is inconsequential to him.

That's not superficial, that's simply personal preference.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
On the contrary... 100% of the time you're driving a car, you have to be inside it. If OP feels he can't live with the interior, the driving experience is inconsequential to him.

That's not superficial, that's simply personal preference.
He missed the point of an EV.
Unless you spend $100K on one, the powertrain is everything.
That's where all the $$$ is in them. They have to be driven to be appreciated.

It's kind of like Corvettes.
For years (not now) they had bad interiors but people bought them anyway because the things went like a bat out of hell.
When I look at a C6 Corvette, I think cheap. Then I drove one and understood.

He can't afford a Tesla (their interiors really aren't all that, either, plus he has no garage) so he should forget about any EV.
Actually, it's quite apparent that nothing short of a German luxury sedan is going to work.
If an older one doesn't suffice, then the solution to this problem is to throw money at it.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-01-2017 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post

I had a 2013 Volt and the suede and leather interior was vastly superior to the Prius, especially with the dark center stack. And the new one is an improvement on that.

Even the door inserts were suede.

I spent a lot of time in that interior, both on the daily commute and on long trips and it was great. And the toque of the electric motor was addictive.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And the torque of the electric motor was addictive.
Well, he didn't drive it so how would he know??

Too bad he doesn't like it because he is an IDEAL Volt candidate.
Short commute, can plug in at work, would use a a tank of gas a year.
And they're CHEAP. IMO, nothing really comes close when you're talking low cost + good.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3489/overview/

Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Well, he didn't drive it so how would he know??

yeah, they really feel like luxury cars to drive. Quiet, easy instant thrust, solid sounding and feeling doors, really nice actually. At least in the premium trims. The first one I drove had the black leather interior with the dark center stack and it was pretty nice, but then I saw that pebble beige with the leather and suede and I was sold.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 147,233 times
Quote:
I forgot that you don't have a garage so no EV for you unless it has a range extender.
i3 has a verson with one but it's a joke, can't even drive full speed with it. That leaves Volt and ELR.
And you don't like coupes so that leaves only the Volt.
There are plenty of EV drivers I know who don't have garages or dedicated parking spaces for that matter. Depending on your area and the availability of Level 2 or DCFC (fast charge 80% in 30 minutes) you could certainly coexist without it.

Our household has both a Model S and i3 BEV. The i3 is on a lease and going back in about three weeks. While I'm a purist and only want a fully electric vehicle (BEV fully meets my distance needs) plus I have a Model S and Lex to tap for distance-but in i3 circles most people wouldn't consider driving one *without* the REX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive