Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 AM

683 posts, read 4,617,136 times

Advertisements

Hello. My car has apps 92,000 miles on it, and two weeks ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to autozone where they did the diagnostic test and said I needed a new oxygen sensor. I planned on taking it in to get fixed next week on my day off. However, three or four days ago, the light went off and hasn't come back on. Does this mean everything is back to normal? I know I should probably have the test again just in case, but I'm wondering if it's likely that I'm in the clear or if this just means my warning light might need repair also. Thanks for any help, just trying to get a head start on what I should expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
The O2 sensor is part of the "readiness" test the car does each time on startup, and while driving. The light going on means that some parameter was not met by the exhaust gasses being measured.

If the light came on, it could be something as simple as some bad gas being run through the engine, or possibly excess condensation (water) in the exhaust for a short time before it burned off. It could be a frayed wire leading to the sensor and not making a proper connection.

At this point, if the light went back off and hasn't returned, I wouldn't worry about it. If you start noticing that you're getting bad gas mileage, or that your idle speed is surging or something, then I'd start making repairs.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Hello. My car has apps 92,000 miles on it, and two weeks ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to autozone where they did the diagnostic test and said I needed a new oxygen sensor. I planned on taking it in to get fixed next week on my day off. However, three or four days ago, the light went off and hasn't come back on. Does this mean everything is back to normal? I know I should probably have the test again just in case, but I'm wondering if it's likely that I'm in the clear or if this just means my warning light might need repair also. Thanks for any help, just trying to get a head start on what I should expect.
What you were told at Autozone typically makes broad assumptions. They pulled a code related to an oxygen sensor. This is rarely a comprehensive diagnosis. The code identifies a problem area. The oxygen sensor could be faulty, the connections to the oxygen sensor could be faulty, the oxygen sensor could produce an out-0f-range reading because it was truthfully reporting a fuel mixture issue such as a vacuum leak.

I don't think your "warning light needs repair."

it is very common for problems that set a check engine light to be intermittent.

At my shop we strongly recommend proper diagnosis before jumping into parts replacement. The free code check at AZ is a marketing device. If you replace the oxygen sensor and the code comes back I doubt they will refund your money.

Don in Austin

Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Make, model, year and engine option should always be included with help requests.

Don in Austin

Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Check your gas cap.
If it is not seated correctly, it will trigger the check engine light.
Make sure it is on correctly.
One "click" is not enough when putting it back on.
Turn it till you hear three or four clicks.

Bob.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
What you were told at Autozone typically makes broad assumptions. They pulled a code related to an oxygen sensor. This is rarely a comprehensive diagnosis. The code identifies a problem area. The oxygen sensor could be faulty, the connections to the oxygen sensor could be faulty, the oxygen sensor could produce an out-0f-range reading because it was truthfully reporting a fuel mixture issue such as a vacuum leak.

I don't think your "warning light needs repair."

it is very common for problems that set a check engine light to be intermittent.

At my shop we strongly recommend proper diagnosis before jumping into parts replacement. The free code check at AZ is a marketing device. If you replace the oxygen sensor and the code comes back I doubt they will refund your money.

Don in Austin
don is right, just pulling codes wont tell you much. you need to check the shop manual for the tests thate supposed to be performed that will tell you what the problem really is. the codes only tell you what system is being affected.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are many codes that will go away on their own and return at a later time. If your jurasdiction is subject to smog testing, the code can still show in the system during the test and cause it to fail, so you should get it fixed even if not experiencing driveability issues.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:26 PM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
really, really hope it wasn't flashing.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Check your gas cap.

Bob.
A loose gas cap will not set a code that refers to the O2 sensor.

Don in Austin

Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Check your gas cap.

Bob.
One "click" is enough when your car only lets you put it on one "click," like in many German ones, including mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive