Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Another thread made we wonder, do people actually exceed the speed limit because they think it saves time?

Pretty sure everyone is aware that on a long trip it can save a lot of time, but otherwise it is miniscule.

I have always believed people who exceed the speed limit are impatient, anxious, pushy, maybe a little ADD/ADHD or just type A personality. For those people who regularly exceed the speed limit where do you normally drive fast and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
because it's fun

I speed on highways and back roads (twisties) but not in a residential area

Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Another thread made we wonder, do people actually exceed the speed limit because they think it saves time?

Pretty sure everyone is aware that on a long trip it can save a lot of time, but otherwise it is miniscule.

I have always believed people who exceed the speed limit are impatient, anxious, pushy, maybe a little ADD/ADHD or just type A personality. For those people who regularly exceed the speed limit where do you normally drive fast and why?
If you're adhering strictly to the speed limit when everyone else is going 10-15 over, it's actually less safe than keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Like you I live in SE Michigan so we drive on similar roads. I don't speed to save time, nor do I really even speed intentionally. I usually drive at a speed that I find comfortable given the road and conditions. In ideal conditions I normally drive at about 50 mph on our main surface streets. In my area the speed limit is usually set at 40 or 45 mph on these roads. In ideal conditions on the interstate I'll set my cruise control at 75 in a 70. I find that 80 is sort of my comfort point, but I set it at 75 to avoid tickets since many others drive faster than this.

If I'm out in the country with nothing around I'll sometimes exceed the speed limit a bit more on back roads. It's just fun once in a while.

As I said, it all depends on conditions. What I describe above is sort of the good weather, light traffic default for me. When I drive into work in the morning I just keep up with the flow of traffic. I don't weave in and out of lanes to try and make it to work 100 seconds earlier. I try and take a very relaxed approach, I don't feel there is any reason to get worked up like the guy who thinks he can somehow go 80 mph down I-75 in Detroit on a Tuesday morning.

The one place I never speed is in neighborhoods. I drive 25 mph and will not go over. I'm often tailgated driving through my own neighborhood on the way home after work. I just ignore it. When there are cars parked along the road and kids playing along the street I take as few chances as I can. Nothing angers me more than someone going 35+ down a side street. There is no excuse for that in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
I drive where I'm comfortable at, which depends on the situation. I can drive fast in the 7 without being aggressive at all, just calm, laid back, and 75-80 mph on the highway. It's comfortable and at least a little fun. On twisty backroads, I base my speed on fun, visibility, and possible road intrusions by driveways and wooded areas (where deer might be). But still not aggressive.

And even crossing town, beating the lights can shave 15 minutes off a cross town trip. That's huge when going from appointment to appointment, where you have no control over how long you're at each appointment and cannot leave earlier. Still, I wont' speed to the point where it's visible from the outside, to minimize police involvement and risk. So far it's worked well for 40 years and no accidents and only one ticket.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 AM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
i dont speed ... by HOSS429 ..
i dont speed when in a hurry .
i dont speed in a snow flurry .
i dont speed when roads are wet .
i dont speed to hit your pet .
i dont speed because i`m late .
i dont speed because i hate .
if you honk at me for going slow .
on your way by i`ll tell you where to go ..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I am none of the above listed, I have no delusions of getting anywhere much faster when going 3 miles over the speed limit.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I think there are two types of speeders, the "hot rodders" and the "what feels comfortable" types.

The hot-rodders, I get the dislike for them, especially if they're pushy or they're speeding on secluded residential roads (typically ones they don't live on) and then complain about people who do live there who are walking their dogs or jogging etc. They live there, you don't, what's your excuse for being there is my feeling on that. You have that and you have people who are doing (say) 80 in a 60 and if they come across you doing 60 or even 65 they get right on your bumper, and most times they're driving a truck or SUV jacked 10 feet up in the air. They deserve all of the "brake checking" that happens to them.

The other type, the "what feels comfortable to them" type, I'm fully on their side. You have a lot of roads out there with speed limits that frankly are just ridiculously slow. People don't conform to the numbers because the numbers are simply too stinking low and make no sense. I don't blame them one bit for not obeying the numbers. In my case, when I do it, it's not that I'm in that much of a hurry but going the number posted just feels like I'm crawling on my hands and knees.

There is a 3rd type, the "make up for the mess I just got out of" type, which I sometimes do. That's where you are stuck behind something that makes the going SLOW or keeps interrupting you (think stop lights that keep turning red and doing so just as you arrive at the last second), and when you get a more open stretch you make up for it by going faster than you otherwise would. I do that sometimes if I'm stuck behind a slow poke going 40 in a 60 or every stop light keeps turning red just as I'm getting there. Those things get on my nerves and so when I get an opening I go faster for a bit not so much to make up for lost time but just to get the frustration out of my system. It's a thing of "about FREAKING TIME, just LEAVE ME ALONE and let me GO!"

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Kind of funny,I am 84,64 years driving,34 years driving for Bell,no tickets nor accidents.
Started in CT,FL,CO,WA,back to FL and now CT.You do not get there any faster,when driving to CT I would find the speeding car filling up along side of me many times.
I now live in Hartford County CT,the drivers are very reckless for the most part,like a trapped rat.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 AM

33 posts, read 37,215 times
Betting this will be a very lively thread....

There is the posted speed limit, then there is the personal "speeding limit"....everyone has their number. Funny how one person's limit isn't the same as someone elses. Someone could be speeding well over the posted limit, yet their speed is too fast for one person and too slow for another.

I learned a long time ago that the only place it does any good to go fast is far away from cities on interstate highway, where there are no intersections, excessive traffic, etc. Otherwise, it's just dangerous (because it usually involves tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic).

See you at the next red light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive