Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,333 times

Advertisements

Looks as interesting as a sardine can,the 86 got my attention because that is what I had before my now 99 Tacoma SR5.
The 86 extracab had 286,000 when sold,SR5 now 206,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,629,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
3rd sibling like mentioned above. Another slow,overpriced toyota.
I see these young kids driving around in them like the speed racer with down syndrome. Good thing they only have 205 hp,otherwise they would kill themselves.
Wait nevermind,they couldn't afford it if had more power.
now that's just silly. You don't need huge horsepower or big money to be fun. I never understood this opinion or staunch brand loyalty from fellow car guys. It's like deciding that you only eat beef and only NY Strip. Not only are you missing out on some great burgers and filet mignon, but some amazing chicken, lobster and pork too.

Every automaker makes some good cars and some garbage. I'm as loyal to them as they are to me.

I had a corvette. It was fun, but not until about 100 mph. At reasonable...err, legal speeds that car was just heavy and boring to drive. It didn't come alive until you really laid on it.

When it was time for my wife to get another commuter she went with a Genesis coupe w/ the 6 speed and 2 liter turbo. All she wanted was a reliable fuel efficient commuter but this car wound up being a real hoot to drive. This car is light, nimble and fun at any speed.

It got to the point that when I wanted to go for a fun drive I would take her car and leave the vette in the garage. After a while of that I sold the corvette. It's been about a year, haven't missed it once.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
It's a throwback to the perfectly balanced sport coupes of the '80s and early '90s. It's the same size and weight as the Porsche 944, the Mazda RX7 TII, Nissan 280z, etc. it's got more power than the 944, RX7 (and Turbo II) and non-turbo Z car. 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, highly balanced and responsive chassis. Basically the kind of car that sports car enthusiasts were begging for since the demise of that segment a couple decades ago, instead of the bloated, overpowered GTs that we ended up getting instead (and the fact that everyone went to SUVs and CUVs instead of sports cars).

Over hyped and underpowered? Only to ignorant muscle car fanatics.
The car already exists in a better form... the Mazda Miata.

They plain blew it.
Didn't give Miata owners any reason to switch and not enough power for anyone else.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:02 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,304,121 times
Yeah, it has the shades of Miata, Scion FRS and perhaps a bunch of others. I guess we do need something in that segment but it seems like every model that sets foot in there dies.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 AM

421 posts, read 545,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
well, you're kind of right. Toyota and Subaru joined together to develop the car, so both have their fingerprints on different parts. For example the fuel injection system was developed by Toyota but the engine hardware is Subaru.
Yeah, I know. I like busting on him, as a few years ago he hated Toyota. Boring miserable cars. Then he got the wife a Sienna. Which I think he doesn't like (certainly isn't keeping long term) and then got this car.

Will say the BRZ is very likely much more fun to drive than my Camry. Don't know--boss hasn't offered to me try his car.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 AM

223 posts, read 732,949 times
Quote:
It's a throwback to the perfectly balanced sport coupes of the '80s and early '90s. It's the same size and weight as the Porsche 944, the Mazda RX7 TII, Nissan 280z, etc. it's got more power than the 944, RX7 (and Turbo II) and non-turbo Z car. 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, highly balanced and responsive chassis. Basically the kind of car that sports car enthusiasts were begging for since the demise of that segment a couple decades ago, instead of the bloated, overpowered GTs that we ended up getting instead (and the fact that everyone went to SUVs and CUVs instead of sports cars).

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, it has the shades of Miata, Scion FRS and perhaps a bunch of others. I guess we do need something in that segment but it seems like every model that sets foot in there dies.
Typical American ignorant buyers look for power over balance and handling. Most Americans can't even properly drive a sub 150hp sports car on the track let alone a 300hp+ heavy car like the Mustang. How many times you see someone on the track over cooks a turn or their brake locked up and spins out and crashes.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,098,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The car already exists in a better form... the Mazda Miata.

They plain blew it.
Didn't give Miata owners any reason to switch and not enough power for anyone else.

the Miata is a convertible, and only gets a (kinda) coupe form this year. So for 2+2 coupe fans, the BRZ/FRS/86 is it.

Your comment is like saying that there should be no close competition for any model. Once one company made an SUV, for example, no other one should make one in the same market space. That's just stupid. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the lovely sports car market of the '60s and '70s, with MGBs, Triumphs, Alfas, Fiats, Hondas, etc. all making cars of the same type and same specs.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:

I'm no muscle car guy, but yes, the FRS/BRZ/86 is underpowered, and quite frankly, overpriced, IMO. I love an old Hachi Roku as much as the next guy, and as driftable as the new 86 is, it just doesn't quite cut it in many ways. For 4 grand more, you can get a base Mustang GT that will not only outhandle the 86, but has well over double the horsepower. If one wants an affordable, nicely balanced chassis, look no further than a Miata.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,975,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Typical American ignorant buyers look for power over balance and handling. Most Americans can't even properly drive a sub 150hp sports car on the track let alone a 300hp+ heavy car like the Mustang. How many times you see someone on the track over cooks a turn or their brake locked up and spins out and crashes.
You are aware that even many years ago before Ford made the Mustang even better, the base V6 Mustang was outlapping WRX, 370Z, etc, around VIR, right? And you are aware of the new Mustang GT350 and GT350R? These are serious track machines that are just as finely balanced as an 86, but have actual power to back it up. In fact, I believe Motor Trend called the Mustang GT350R the "finest sports coupe they've EVER driven." Long gone are the sloppy live axle Mustangs of yore. Moral of the story: here in these modern times, Americans get both power and handling. Heck, even the Camaro's are being hailed as some of the best handling cars on the market today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive