Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:50 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How do you use Waze for this? Do you have to rely on people's reportings?
Yes, there are sometimes false alarms when there are reports but the cop leaves, but it is pretty reliable for me. There are so many people that use it. Saved me from a bunch of tickets because you can see so far in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Waze is free and more effective than any radar/lidar detector I have ever seen. Its one less thing I have to put up and take down since I already mount my phone in a holder every drive for podcasts, books and music.

You're under the working assumption of 100% prevention with a detector, which is far from accurate. If a general speeding violation ends up eclipsing $500 in costs, you're state has some issues.
+1 for using Waze. The way that a sighting report ages out and 'evaporates' unless reinforced by another sighting is very effective at keeping false positives from cluttering up the screen.

I never said "100%" (is anything ever 100%???). Nor did I say the ticket court costs were $500.
It's exactly like insurance. You judge (Cost to Protect) vs (risk x cost of risk happening). I'm MUCH more worried about the extra cost from now-one, that comes from a rate-bump (to my ultra-clean insurance rate).

LIDAR and Instant On: I'm been using radar/laser detectors pretty much since they came out, (decades), , and always have them on to get a feel for false-positives and speed trap locations.
In all that experience, I've seen ONE, count them ONE speed trap that used laser. (That triggered my laser detector). It was a one time only speed trap, never seen anyone there again.
Laser speed guns are VERY rare, since they cost so much more than radar guns, meaning police can afford many more R guns than L guns.

Again. No absolutes. Expending the effort to use Waze, radar detectors, laser detectors, and getting the high-end stuff are all subjective (insurance type) decisions of risk vs benefit and varies from person to person.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Waze is the 21st century equivalent of flashing your headlights at oncoming traffic.
If I were a cop I'd just use Waze to see if I got reported, then move to another location.
In the near future, they most likely will be using drones for this kind of thing.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
+1 for using Waze. The way that a sighting report ages out and 'evaporates' unless reinforced by another sighting is very effective at keeping false positives from cluttering up the screen.

I never said "100%" (is anything ever 100%???). Nor did I say the ticket court costs were $500.
It's exactly like insurance. You judge (Cost to Protect) vs (risk x cost of risk happening). I'm MUCH more worried about the extra cost from now-one, that comes from a rate-bump (to my ultra-clean insurance rate).

LIDAR and Instant On: I'm been using radar/laser detectors pretty much since they came out, (decades), , and always have them on to get a feel for false-positives and speed trap locations.
In all that experience, I've seen ONE, count them ONE speed trap that used laser. (That triggered my laser detector). It was a one time only speed trap, never seen anyone there again.
Laser speed guns are VERY rare, since they cost so much more than radar guns, meaning police can afford many more R guns than L guns.

Again. No absolutes. Expending the effort to use Waze, radar detectors, laser detectors, and getting the high-end stuff are all subjective (insurance type) decisions of risk vs benefit and varies from person to person.
Isn't much less of a risk to just not speed in the first place? Are you really saving that much time?

Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I go about 10 over on the highway and don't bother slowing down in front of cops. They're generally looking for the reckless ones.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It does work. Works just as advertised.
Except that there is one caveat.
THERE IS NO RADAR DETECTOR AGAINST LIDAR.
And when LIDAR using cop pulls you over, he considers RD use aggravating circumstence, as you were PREPARED to speed.
Just saying.
A cop buddy/co-worker saw my RD and said, "Ha. Guilty!" But they are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And in quite a few states any use of radar detection/determent devices is ILLEGAL. You checked on your state, right?
Virginia. DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Quite a few? VA is the only state they are illegal AFAIK, excluding commercial vehicles, which the OP's car is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
That's why I've never bothered to get one. Instant on and I'm toast.

I've been tempted to a detector all the same. Mostly to use when I'm actually doing the limit. Call it curiosity, to see if and when they are checking speed (I suspect often they are doing paperwork and just doing traffic calming). Or if I missed sighting someone who is well hidden.
Instant on and LIDAR are two different things. V1 will tell you about I-O. WHERE it is is the question.

LIDAR is also typically used instant-on, its laser beam is far narrower than a radar gun. Typically the officer has to be standing outside his car or shooting from a window from stationary vehicle.

If you're lucky, there will be a little overlap or washover from who in front of you the cop is shooting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Speeding is illegal in all 50 states.
And speeding is a way of life in all 50 states. Around here, if you're not 10 over you'll get run over.

I've run across an unusual number of traps in the last two weeks, including the first laser guy standing by the side of the road I've seen in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Waze is the 21st century equivalent of flashing your headlights at oncoming traffic.
If I were a cop I'd just use Waze to see if I got reported, then move to another location.
In the near future, they most likely will be using drones for this kind of thing.
Most cops aren't that clever or motivated. The odds are with them. The few motorists who use waze and the few who use RDs will not have an effect on the 98% who do NOT. So plenty of prey animals out there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I go about 10 over on the highway and don't bother slowing down in front of cops. They're generally looking for the reckless ones.
Cops around here could write a ticket every five minutes for an eight-hour day if they wanted to get distracted drivers. Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the people I observe turning left in front of me are on the phone or obviously texting. THEY are far more a risk than a 10-over or 15-over driver.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
I just checked on the Valentine One which apparently hasn't changed anything since it's inception. That thing still looks straight out of the 70's.

Looks can be deceiving. They have upgraded its functionality over the years. The latest update cuts down on it being a "new car detector" with so many false alarms coming from vehicles equipped with adaptive cruise and/or forward collision mitigation. It now also works with your smart phone for displaying more useful information.

So you are quite incorrect.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I thought radar detectors went the way of CBs. I had one in the 70s and have never felt getting another one. You don't see them advertised much either.
Open any car magazine and the full page ads are there

Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
I have an older V1 and it is useless now (due to it being an older model). They still offer an upgrade option for older units but for $399 I would be tempted to just buy a new one.

That being said, I don't live in a heavy radar area and I simply don't speed often or high enough for it to be a concern.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
Isn't much less of a risk to just not speed in the first place? Are you really saving that much time?
Do you always know the speed limit? There are plenty of little towns that make money on local 2 lane roads that lack speed limit signs. Also, there are areas where the speed limit drops 20 mph or more in a short area. I would rather not donate money to that town and my insurance company due to a local speed trap.

Do you move with traffic or are you on the highway locked at the speed limit?

I am usually moving with the traffic on the highway, generally over the posted speed limit. A radar detector allows me to decide not to be one of the trooper's ticket choices when 10 cars are all moving at the same speed over the limit.

For those who think the V1 does not work, you have no idea what you are talking about. As long as you have some smarts and pay attention, the V1 will keep your money in your pocket. Instant on will get fired for cars in front of you, allowing you to receive the signal and avoid the ticket. As for laser, they are very rare, subject to weather issues, and need heavy involvement from the officer.

If speed enforcement was about safety and not money, troopers would patrol at the speed limit and not hide. It is very rare to see a patrol car on the highway moving at the speed limit, because it is difficult to collect money if everybody is moving at the speed limit. It is not rare to see them in the same 'hidden' locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive