Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was on my way to work - I take the bus and have a couple of blocks to walk to get to my office on a busy thoroughfare. I was waiting at the crosswalk, and it is a busy path so there were maybe 2-3 dozen other people at the crosswalk.

There is a semi truck turning at the intersection, and I think to myself - hmm that looks a little tight. Everyone steps back from the curb a bit.

And the truck starts making the turn and he hits a car parked on the corner - busting the taillight and scraping the bumper. Everyone looks around a little surprised. it then looks like the truth is stopping. But he backs up and starts making the turn again, causing additional damage to the car and bumper. Then he drives off like nothing happened.

I was shocked so I decided to backtrack to see if I could at least get a license plate of the car. I manage to get a blurry pic, and another person managed to get a good one. We left a note on the damaged car with the license plate and our info to be witnesses. I called the police on my way to work. They were like "yeah, whatever." I also called the trucking company but there was no place to report bad drivers.

The car driver called me to let me know he reported to his insurance that day and to say thanks! Happily I got a note from him this week and he said he got his car fixed and the damages reimbursed. Happy ending!

But I was just shocked that this truck straight up hit the car several times in front of dozens of witnesses and acted like he ran over a can on the street.

So have you seen a hit and run? What did you do when it happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 01:00 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Saw one that caused the vehicle he hit to cross over to the other side of the interstate into oncoming traffic. He had been driving like an aggressive jerk the whole time I was behind him on the commute home even though all his lane weaving didn't get him anywhere. Unfortunately 911 failed to route me to highway patrol as I was tailing the guy until he just got too aggressive and got away. Based on my report though the story changed massively as initial news reports were blaming the head-on collision on the person that got hit initially. They were able to identify the guy and his car by my report and found matching paint transfer but he actually fled the country! Some serious injuries but no deaths thankfully.

I went out and bought my first dash cam shortly after.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM

749 posts, read 735,833 times
I witnessed one on the street right outside my house. Fortunately, I had just gotten home, heard the accident and looked in time to get a description of the vehicle that was fleeing the scene. Also, he had punctured his radiator and pushed the front bumper back into the front tires. He wasn't going very far anyway.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:31 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
I saw two and chased both offenders......got one, other one outran me!

1st one was a right on red, car stopped and truck rear ended her. She pulled into gas station afterwards and the guy took off. I called the business on the tailgate of the truck and told them what their employee just did. He must have gotten a radio message to return to the scene as he was 3 miles away and made a u turn to go back.

2nd one was I95 in middle of Florida. Guy in a brown Saab 9000 sideswiped and elderly couple in a Cadillac and sent them careening off the road, by some miracle the car didn't roll. Guy takes off from 70 to 100+......sadly that day I was driving a pickup that was governed at about 95-98 mph......I slowly dropped back until I could no longer see the guy. My other car had a flat tire and was on the spare so I didn't want to drive it on a trip (BMW M3).......the Saab would not have gotten away that day had I picked the other car!

Old 04-01-2017, 06:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
During the test drive for the Passat we did end up buying, we were sitting maybe fourth in line at the traffic light that's a left turn and about three miles back to the dealership. And then the cop car comes flying off the cross street at high speed and hits the first two cars ahead of us waiting at the light. It keeps going down MLK without stopping.

And then the first cop car with full lights and sirens makes the turn successfully in chase. And then another cop car and another cop car until maybe a dozen of them are all going north on MLK in pursuit. None of the stop to check out the two cars ahead of us that had gotten hit, and a civilian with a flashlight ends up directing traffic around the mess.

We get back to the dealership about ten minutes later than the usual test drive takes and it was "You heard all those sirens? You almost had a really interesting story to tell to your insurance company..."

Turned out the police had pulled a woman over for some sort of traffic offense in her own car, then discovered she was both high and had outstanding warrants. They cuffed her, had her at the curb or something, and as they were going over some paperwork, she managed to get her hands in front of her and decided it was a good idea to steal the police car that was sitting there with keys in the ignition and engine running. (I suspect that there was some retraining about proper procedures after that)

Old 04-01-2017, 06:31 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,274,132 times
Yeah, I was in one.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times
Some years ago, I was stopped for a red light. A taxicab was behind me, a white pickup truck (whose driver probably wasn't paying attention) plowed into the rear of the taxi. I heard the screech and impact, looked in my rear view mirror and knew that the taxi had gotten hit. This was before everyone had cell phones (early '90s). I pulled over (I wasn't involved,, just wanted to be sure both drivers were ok) as did the cabbie. I and the cab driver both got out of our vehicles, I asked him if he was ok (he was), the pickup driver made a move as if to pull over and before we knew it, he took off like a bat out of hell. The taxi sustained a dent to its rear bumper and trunk.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A few weeks ago I was on my way to work - I take the bus and have a couple of blocks to walk to get to my office on a busy thoroughfare. I was waiting at the crosswalk, and it is a busy path so there were maybe 2-3 dozen other people at the crosswalk.

There is a semi truck turning at the intersection, and I think to myself - hmm that looks a little tight. Everyone steps back from the curb a bit.

And the truck starts making the turn and he hits a car parked on the corner - busting the taillight and scraping the bumper. Everyone looks around a little surprised. it then looks like the truth is stopping. But he backs up and starts making the turn again, causing additional damage to the car and bumper. Then he drives off like nothing happened.

I was shocked so I decided to backtrack to see if I could at least get a license plate of the car. I manage to get a blurry pic, and another person managed to get a good one. We left a note on the damaged car with the license plate and our info to be witnesses. I called the police on my way to work. They were like "yeah, whatever." I also called the trucking company but there was no place to report bad drivers.

The car driver called me to let me know he reported to his insurance that day and to say thanks! Happily I got a note from him this week and he said he got his car fixed and the damages reimbursed. Happy ending!

But I was just shocked that this truck straight up hit the car several times in front of dozens of witnesses and acted like he ran over a can on the street.

So have you seen a hit and run? What did you do when it happened?
I witnessed one and the culprit backed up and almost hit ME, so I chased him (just to get license number, etc.) Darn! I couldn't get the make of the car or the plate number and he eluded me. I was angry for many, many days.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I broke up with someone bc she grazed another car backing out of a parking spot and then refused to leave a note bc she didn't want her insurance to get dinged and "that car was crappy anyway." I mean, that's just scumbucket behavior.

My wife was rear-ended by a 15 year old in his dad's Infiniti. The kid ran off, and my wife chased him. The kid had to pull over into a parking lot bc his car's hood flew up and his engine was on fire. Cops did nothing. I loved that. Just loved it. Great lesson there.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:49 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,521,364 times
Yes a drunk driver. I got his license plate number. He pulled a U turn on a busy street and hit her.
Talked with the victim. She was not hurt nor was her child strapped in the back seat. This was 1990 so no cell phones like today.

The drunk had a long history of DIU's. His dad was wealthy and bailed the 30 something out of trouble constantly. I think his dad gave to police charities.

Cops called me and the drunk stated he was home. I said, he's a known drunk, of which neither I or the victim knew when she was hit. How could we possibly make up his license plate number. Go to his house and look at his car! They refused.
Nothing we could do.

He did die in his 40's so I guess it caught up with him eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive