Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times

Advertisements

Yesterday on my drive home I was stopped at a red light. As soon as the light turned green I put my foot on the gas pedal and it sounded like I hit something and the car started making a grinding noise and would no longer move properly. If anything it inched along. I immediately drove to the shoulder and put it in park. I stepped out to check the tires and there was no flat visible. This guy then drove and pulled over in front of me and asked if I needed help. He checked the hood, told me to put it in drive, in reverse, same thing. Grinding noise, not going anywhere. He then noticed some fluid leaking from the rack and pinion. Not sure if that's relevant, though I was thinking maybe it broke or something. Could that be a possibility? Thankfully this happened at the corner of where I live so I was able to have him and another guy push it in neutral while I steered and we at least got it to a parking lot.

I drive a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue if it makes a difference. Does anyone know what this might be? I know jack crap about cars except they're damn expensive to fix. There's a mechanic right by my house but if the car's undriveable it would need to be towed plus they would charge just to look at it. I don't wanna throw that much money without knowing if its worth it even. I haven't started the car up again since last night when this happened, so I don't know if it will do it again, though obviously even if it doesn't I would not trust it to take me anywhere further than to my own driveway. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
sounds like your transmission died

Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
+1

Old 10-26-2017, 06:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Sometimes a rebuilt transmission is cheaper than a new car. I got my 2001 Isuzu xmission rebuilt. Of course, there are other mechanical parts that wear out that I've replaced. (brakes, etc) Still better than a car payment so far.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,203,581 times
Maybe a motor mount broke.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Yep sounds like your transmission has come to a sudden and painful end. Possible too that it could be a broken CV shaft or something I guess.

The Oldsmobile Intrigue wasn't GM's finest hour. Frankly I'm impressed that this thing was still alive out in the wild for 17+ years. Its long journey is done- and it's served you better than can be reasonably expected from the design.

This is no time for resurrection via transmission rebuild- best you could hope for is a terrible car with a good transmission. A zombie with a liver transplant. Let it rest in peace, and move on with your life.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yep sounds like your transmission has come to a sudden and painful end. Possible too that it could be a broken CV shaft or something I guess.

The Oldsmobile Intrigue wasn't GM's finest hour. Frankly I'm impressed that this thing was still alive out in the wild for 17+ years. Its long journey is done- and it's served you better than can be reasonably expected from the design.

This is no time for resurrection via transmission rebuild- best you could hope for is a terrible car with a good transmission. A zombie with a liver transplant. Let it rest in peace, and move on with your life.

Damn, so you're sure it's a transmission? That's what I was fearing. I check the oil and its bone dry so I added some more and tried again and no luck. No movement, no tires spinning, same sound.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:10 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
It does sound like the transmission.

Why don't you go to the garage down the street and tell the mechanic what happened and what you think it is and ask him if he could stop by for a minute just to confirm. Tell him you would rather not have it towed if it really is the transmission because it might not be worth fixing it. Offer him some cash for his trouble.

If the tranny is toast and you don't want to fix it there are charities that will come and take it from you and it won't cost you anything.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It does sound like the transmission.

Why don't you go to the garage down the street and tell the mechanic what happened and what you think it is and ask him if he could stop by for a minute just to confirm. Tell him you would rather not have it towed if it really is the transmission because it might not be worth fixing it. Offer him some cash for his trouble.

If the tranny is toast and you don't want to fix it there are charities that will come and take it from you and it won't cost you anything.

Good luck.
I already tried that and he won't do it. I figure I might as well sell it to a junkyard and make at least some money off of it.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:21 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Sometimes a rebuilt transmission is cheaper than a new car. I got my 2001 Isuzu xmission rebuilt. Of course, there are other mechanical parts that wear out that I've replaced. (brakes, etc) Still better than a car payment so far.

This is solid good advice IF your car is still in safe driveable condition. Never ,ever, bail on a good car because of a repair to buy a new ,or newer, car.

Fix the car and enjoy several more years of driving it which is way better than car payments all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive