Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times

Advertisements

New car dealers do not want trade-ins. They generally don't keep them, but auction them for what they will bring. I have actually had car salesmen explain that to me, then offer 5x the trade-in if I would sell it to him personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
As I was looking into how to get rid of my current 24 y.o. car in prep of buying a new one, I found out that you get to deduct the actual sale price that the charity sold the vehicle for.

So for example, your car is valued at $4500 when you donated it. The charity sent it off to auction and received $500. You'll get a receipt that allows you to claim the $500 for tax deduction. So, if you pay about 28% in income tax, your tax savings is $140. Financially, you come out ahead selling the car on your own, but then there's all the hassle that comes with it.
I posted my 24 y o car on CL for $1300 and got 1 serious buyer within 1 day, 2 more the next. Wow- so much easier than I thought. I said in the post to meet at the police station and got no weirdo inquires. Also I provided good descriptions and known issues. Will meet buyer next weekend.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
New car dealers do not want trade-ins. They generally don't keep them, but auction them for what they will bring. I have actually had car salesmen explain that to me, then offer 5x the trade-in if I would sell it to him personally.
Huh, it's the exact opposite. They definitely want trade ins. That's where the money is. They make money from trade in and resell of that car.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:24 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,933,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Huh, it's the exact opposite. They definitely want trade ins. That's where the money is. They make money from trade in and resell of that car.
Exactly.

That being said, there are some cars that dealers do not want, especially old and/or really high mileage cars. Same goes with unpopular models that didn't sell well and have been discontinued at some point. So those, yeah, dealers sometimes will immediately get rid of those cars to auctions, wholesalers, salvage yards, etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
what year and model?

My Acura Integra had similar mileage but 1994 version. If I get $1000, I'd be smiling inside.
99 GSR. Could have gotten way more selling it privately but didn't feel like the hassle.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry caldwell View Post
new car dealers do not want your crappy trade-ins.
fify

Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
I was looking at one of those dealer ads yesterday where it says "we'll buy your car even if you don't buy ours", and under that in really tiny print, it said "black book value minus 15 cents per mile".

Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
You'd better believe they want trade ins. Higher profit margin and it helps obfuscate the real price of the new car. The less than desirable cars get wholesaled.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
So do they have subsidiary used car lots under another name, or what? I have never seen a dealer with any used car on the lot over a year old. If they can't offer a factory warranty, they are not interested. Service is where they make their money.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,933,592 times
Quote:
So do they have subsidiary used car lots under another name, or what? I have never seen a dealer with any used car on the lot over a year old. If they can't offer a factory warranty, they are not interested. Service is where they make their money.
And you don't make most of your service money with warranty work. You make most of it with customer-pay jobs. Warranty is restrictive, you are limited to charge what the automaker allows, and you are at-risk for chargebacks from the manufacturer if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's just perfectly when filing the claim.

Most car dealers have plenty of used cars, most of them at least 2-3 years old as off-lease cars are bought in bulk by dealers at OEM dealer-only auctions. Dealers in the places I've lived sometimes have more used cars on the lot than new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive