Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,858,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Turbo engines are more stressed, plus the turbo generates a lot of heat.
Nothing under the hood likes that heat. It will take its toll over time.
I had an '07 Saab myself and didn't have any problems. But it wasn't that old.
...if not abused and maintained correctly, this should show after a few hunnert thou miles i guess. let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,275,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
...if not abused and maintained correctly, this should show after a few hunnert thou miles i guess. let me know
It doesn't have anything to do with maintenance or abuse.
When you start cooking things, they fail prematurely. And there's not a thing you can do about it.

Here's a list of the most reliable vehicles long term.
No surprise that almost all of them are V8's.

Best and Worst Quality Index Ratings - Dashboard Light

Also, don't expect ANY car to last a couple of hundred thousand miles.
Any claim that X brand will easily make it to 200K miles is specious.

For the longest lasting makes, 78% don't make it to even 180k.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehic...s/Over180k.png

Last edited by eaton53; 04-30-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,606,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
We've had two turbo fours...one Saab (2005) and one Mazda (1989) ...both have been totally reliable and cheap to maintain. Both got to 150k miles or so. In fact we still have the Saab. The new fours should be at least as good. There is nothing inherently worse in a well built four...unless abused, most modern engines should go forever. Repairs tend to be in electronics, accessories, and other vehicle components.

BTW, I think the CLA is ... uh ... unattractive at best.
What was Mazda putting a turbo 4 cylinder in back in 1989?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,275,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
What was Mazda putting a turbo 4 cylinder in back in 1989?
MX-6 GT and 626.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,941,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
For me it’s more than entry level with over 500 hp and over 500 lb-ft. The car is fast, responsive and exhilarating to drive. I don’t know many BMW or Audi that can keep up with this car. The car look unassuming until you step on the gas, then all hell breaks loose.
The AMG models are a little different story, my bad if I misunderstood this thread. I thought they were talking about the CLA in general and most of those sold are non-AMG's so that's kinda where my viewpoint was coming from.

Still hate the "oops we forgot the" display screen, though.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times
I would buy an optioned up Jetta before spending the $ on the MB CLA. Its whole purpose is to provide a cheaper way to sell a Mercedes.

I think the C class itself has improved. They were smaller but solid back when they & the E class were built with half the same items in the late 80s. Then they slid in terms of feel and content but looked nicer mid 90s to 00s. But the newer ones have improved. I think the current model is quite attractive but haven't ridden/driven one like the previous models.

I used to have an A4 thought I thought was a great small car and I actually preferred the turbo 4 in it. But the warning 'never own a German car out of warranty' proved fairly prophetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive