Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 PM

170 posts, read 196,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I can't imagine that even being a question if you've driven many other cars lately. You have a gem and those in excellent shape are getting harder and harder to find. It is one of the best cars ever made and will cost you next to nothing in maintenance for the next 10 years if you treat it right.
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
VERY easy color to maintain!

My father mostly drove several Grand Marquis and that was the color he always purchased.

As mentioned by others - you have a GEM!
Thank you very much.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
I do use it, I like the way it feels when I drive it. I have seen people (women included) checking it out, its not a bad looking car!
How old were these women checking out your Grand Marquis? I can imagine some women at a retirement community looking at it, but I don't think most women younger than 60 are going to be into that type of car.

I'm in my mid-fifties and I've got a 2005 Lincoln Town Car. Same Panther platform as your Grand Marquis, with the same 4.6L engine in it to my knowledge. Both cars are generally thought of as "old people" cars. When my female friend who is the same age as me first saw my Town Car, she said she didn't think it was something someone my age would be driving (she associates the car with retired people in their 60s and 70s). I think my car looks good too, as the paint shines (especially when the sun hits it), it has no rust and just minor cosmetic flaws. But both my TC and your GM are dinosaurs really, throwbacks to a period when large, RWD cars built for comfort and not handling or sportiness ruled the roads. My Uber customers love how roomy and comfortable it is, but I can't say that I've noticed people "checking it out" like you said of your car. I don't think either of our cars is really eye catching compared to more recent designs.

BTW, I think you got a good deal for an '09 with such low mileage.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
My very recently deceased parents used to own that model of car, and loved them. They are very comfortable, roomy and a lot less expensive than their Continental 'big brother'...
After they retired, they used to drive that car EVERYWHERE... They had a specialty tag on it that said, 'OnDaRoad' - and I smile picturing my parents in every one I see...

Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
How old were these women checking out your Grand Marquis? I can imagine some women at a retirement community looking at it, but I don't think most women younger than 60 are going to be into that type of car.

I'm in my mid-fifties and I've got a 2005 Lincoln Town Car. Same Panther platform as your Grand Marquis, with the same 4.6L engine in it to my knowledge. Both cars are generally thought of as "old people" cars. When my female friend who is the same age as me first saw my Town Car, she said she didn't think it was something someone my age would be driving (she associates the car with retired people in their 60s and 70s). I think my car looks good too, as the paint shines (especially when the sun hits it), it has no rust and just minor cosmetic flaws. But both my TC and your GM are dinosaurs really, throwbacks to a period when large, RWD cars built for comfort and not handling or sportiness ruled the roads. My Uber customers love how roomy and comfortable it is, but I can't say that I've noticed people "checking it out" like you said of your car. I don't think either of our cars is really eye catching compared to more recent designs.

BTW, I think you got a good deal for an '09 with such low mileage.
The way I see it, a good car is a good car. There is no old people car or young people car. MGM looks better than a lot of other sedans on the road.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
My very recently deceased parents used to own that model of car, and loved them. They are very comfortable, roomy and a lot less expensive than their Continental 'big brother'...
After they retired, they used to drive that car EVERYWHERE... They had a specialty tag on it that said, 'OnDaRoad' - and I smile picturing my parents in every one I see...
Thanks for sharing the thoughtful sentiment.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
The way I see it, a good car is a good car. There is no old people car or young people car. MGM looks better than a lot of other sedans on the road.
I understand your point of view. Just as a heads up in case you decide to keep the Grand Marquis for a while, if that car has a rear air suspension like my Town Car does, I've read that the life of the air springs is about 10 years. I know that one of mine has a slow leak in it. Some people eventually do a conversion to regular shocks and springs as replacing components of the air suspension system can get very expensive (depending on how many parts need replacing).

Since you probably have the same engine as mine in your car, I've also had some intermittent problems with the throttle position sensor, which causes the engine to go into "limp mode" (LOL) and run on somewhat reduced power. Mine hasn't gotten so bad yet that I need to replace the sensors (there are 2 of them).

The Town Car also has a well-documented problem with water getting into the cabin through the outside air intake after the foam rubber seal deteriorates. Don't know if the Grand Marquis is designed the same way; hopefully that problem was corrected on your car since it's a few years newer than mine.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I've seen a bunch of Lincoln, Cadillac, and Mercury late models going for cheap, like a 1/3 of their MSRP for just 5-7 yr old cars. Really bad depreciation. The word is that repairs are very costly for many of these cars that charges $5k+ jobs. So it's been priced into the resale price.

Vs something like a Civic 2009 still fetches $7-11k while it MSRP for $23k tops.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:56 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen a bunch of Lincoln, Cadillac, and Mercury late models going for cheap, like a 1/3 of their MSRP for just 5-7 yr old cars. Really bad depreciation. The word is that repairs are very costly for many of these cars that charges $5k+ jobs. So it's been priced into the resale price.

Vs something like a Civic 2009 still fetches $7-11k while it MSRP for $23k tops.
Huh?

A Crown Vic has a reliable drive train and a reputation as being easy to repair. It's RWD so everything is easy to access. All those cop cars and taxi cabs logged an enormous number of miles with constant abuse. It's ancient technology. Other than an engine rebuild, there's no repair on that car that could possibly cost $5K.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I understand your point of view. Just as a heads up in case you decide to keep the Grand Marquis for a while, if that car has a rear air suspension like my Town Car does, I've read that the life of the air springs is about 10 years. I know that one of mine has a slow leak in it. Some people eventually do a conversion to regular shocks and springs as replacing components of the air suspension system can get very expensive (depending on how many parts need replacing).

Since you probably have the same engine as mine in your car, I've also had some intermittent problems with the throttle position sensor, which causes the engine to go into "limp mode" (LOL) and run on somewhat reduced power. Mine hasn't gotten so bad yet that I need to replace the sensors (there are 2 of them).

The Town Car also has a well-documented problem with water getting into the cabin through the outside air intake after the foam rubber seal deteriorates. Don't know if the Grand Marquis is designed the same way; hopefully that problem was corrected on your car since it's a few years newer than mine.
The air suspension will usually go 15 years....and much longer if you're lucky. Just last week I converted my '95 Town Car to coils, so mine went 22 years. My '95 Crown Vic before that lasted almost 16 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive