Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times

Advertisements

FWIW, "no contest" is pretty much always going to be better than guilty.

Anyway, I'd call the county prosecutor's office (they're generally the legal side that pursues the traffic tickets) and ask about your options. Generally they are willing to work out a settlement over the phone/email and out of court. It's been nearly 2 decades since I was last pulled over, but I had a rash of speeding tickets in my early 20's and I'd simply ask if I could have a non-points fine. It's not the ticket cost that hurts, it's the Insurance adjustments that really drain the wallet. Had a secondary benefit for me in that those points didn't seem to go on the DMV/license either so I could always show a "clean driving history" and claim it was just a rare mistake on my part (helped that I never went to the same court twice).

Honestly, court staff respond well to intelligent, well spoken, calm (and in person, clean & well dressed) people. It's the rare exception of all the people they encounter and adding in some humility while not denying fault will generally result in a better outcome than just paying the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM

797 posts, read 753,145 times
Get a traffic attorney,(google the reviews of that attorney)
Explain the situation to the attorney.
I'm a hardcore DIY'er,but when it comes to court,my experience is get an attorney. I once paid 50 bucks (ticket was almost 200)
for ten over (35 on a 25)
Well I never had to make any court appearances, and it got dismissed. Good Luck.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Get a traffic attorney,(google the reviews of that attorney)
Explain the situation to the attorney.
I'm a hardcore DIY'er,but when it comes to court,my experience is get an attorney. I once paid 50 bucks (ticket was almost 200)
for ten over (35 on a 25)
Well I never had to make any court appearances, and it got dismissed. Good Luck.
This ^^^^^^

I got a ticket in New York. It wasn't so much the fine that bothered me but the impact of points on my insurance. I also had other reasons I was unhappy with the ticket but will not go into those here.

Anyway, I hired an attorney who was able to plea bargain the ticket down to a moving violation with no points and a much lower fine.

It took over a year for my ticket to get to court because they are swamped .... and that is with most tickets not being contested. So they are usually more than happy to accept a plea bargain if it will move things along.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
If this were a DUI or an accident or such, I'd say take the lumps, you earned them.
For speeding, I feel there are some cases where trying to get off isn't immoral. IE: in a speed trap where the police are implementing a revenue generator, rather than acting for the public safety.
I don't know if yours applies.

HOWEVER: From your perspective, tour original post has what I think is the most import question, and not yet addressed. What actions that you take might effect your insurance. Because that could end up hurting you financially for an extended time, possibly way more than a lump-sum ticket payout.

If you earned the ticket, and can find a way that it's not reported as points, and not reported to the insurance, then do that.
I agree, but work zones are a bit different. They set speed limits for safety period. A number of states do have double fine laws, be lucky you (the OP) have to pay $170. That said the fact that the OP was getting their doors blown off and the cop selected them seems to play in their favor. That said, I have no idea on how to fight this.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
By 2 options I meant "guilty" and "no contest". I tried googling, but I don't understand the exact difference between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Guilty means you're admitting to guilt.

No contest means that you're not admitting to guilt, but you're not going to contest the ticket because you can't prove that you're not guilty or that you just don't want to fight it.

As to which one is the better course of action, I don't know. For the one ticket that I appeared in court in FL, I pleaded no contest. The judge assessed a fine and that was that.
return beat me to it. no contest, or in legalese no lo contendre, only means you dont think you did anything wrong, but you have no evidence in your favor to prove your innocence. guilty means you are admitting guilt.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Most places there is really no difference. It just makes people feel better to not have to declare themselves "guilty" It may be you believe you are innocent but the fine is not worth it to you to contest it. So it makes you feel better to say no contest rather than saying guilty when you believe you are not (that would be lying).

IN most places, you are best off going in for the arraignment procedure. Depending ont he state and/or municipality they will often arrange a plea to a non-moving violation with a bigger fine but no points. Everyone wins. They get more moeny for the city coffers, you save money because your insurance rates do not go up for three or more years. Plus if you get pulled over again, it is on your record and they are more likely to give you another ticket, plus a heavier fine - and then your insurance may cancel you altogether. Some states give you one free ticket. You agree to attend (and pay for) traffic school within three months and the ticket goes away. Traffic school is about as interesting as watching plastic grass grow and takes up most of a day, but the ticket goes away.

Your jurisdiction may be different, but usually just paying the ticket is a mistake. However, doing nothing until the deadline on the ticket passes is a bigger mistake. Pick up the phone, find out what to do and take a morning off and go get it worked out. Unless ou make $300 and hour, it will be worth it to you .

Old 06-01-2017, 02:30 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
OP do they offer a '\"Traffic School" that you attend and then after completion they expunge the ticket?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP do they offer a '\"Traffic School" that you attend and then after completion they expunge the ticket?
Depending on the points, it may not qualify.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
I can try reading for it on DMV site. But who approves the probation? Do I need to go to court for it?
You do go to court and you would have to plead guilty.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
I can try reading for it on DMV site. But who approves the probation? Do I need to go to court for it?

YES, go to court and I suggest getting a traffic attorney. Since this is your 3rd violation and it's due to driving fast in a construction area you could lose your license. The attorney could get a lower fine and save your license from being suspended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive