Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I don't have a problem with passengers texting if there's a foolproof way to block the driver.
As of today, that technology does not exist in any car.

My wife's car's navigation will not allow an address to be entered if the car's moving, yet it'll allow texting which is way worse?
Bluetooth should work the same way as that navigation system.

In the meantime, texting or using a non-hands free phone while driving should have the same penalties as driving drunk.
So your solution is to throw the baby out with the bath water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
So your solution is to throw the baby out with the bath water
If they can't come up with a way to keep drivers from texting while allowing passengers to text, absolutely.

While we're waiting for this tech, treat 'em the same as the drunks.
The threat of multi-thousand dollar penalties, lost licenses and high risk insurance can change behaviors.
Also, you get to install and rent a jammer that blocks all cellphone activity in the car... the phone version of the car breathalyzer.

Do it enough or cause a bad wreck and you can go do some time.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-06-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 04:55 PM

450 posts, read 597,795 times
So everybody has to suffer with more government interference because of idiots. Common sense says keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Is that so hard?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:59 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Seems kind of silly if the feature can be deactivated. Kind of like using the " honor system".
If someone is dumb enough to text or dial their phone while driving what makes Apple think
These people will use the feature? Kind of like.... "padlocks are for keeping honest people out." Lol

Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
So everybody has to suffer with more government interference because of idiots. Common sense says keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Is that so hard?
Apparently, it is for a whole lot of people.
https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-acci...tatistics.html
Eleven teens won't be doing it anymore because they were killed while texting and driving today.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Apple can start by making an easier to navigate music app. It started straight forward, could shuffle your entire music collection with one click. Now you've got a 50% chance at driving off the road if you use their own app.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
If they can't come up with a way to keep drivers from texting while allowing passengers to text, absolutely.

While we're waiting for this tech, treat 'em the same as the drunks.
The threat of multi-thousand dollar penalties, lost licenses and high risk insurance can change behaviors.
Also, you get to install and rent a jammer that blocks all cellphone activity in the car... the phone version of the car breathalyzer.

Do it enough or cause a bad wreck and you can go do some time.
They should also stop selling alcohol or food as people have also been known to eat/drink those while driving and getting distracted. Or heck, get rid of cars altogether. We'll all be safer

Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Proximity sensor in drivers seat
iPhone is going to put a sensor in the seat? Or are you implying they will link to the vehicle which most likely, if late model, has a sensor in the driver and passenger seats for air bag control. DUH!

This is nothing new. My GMC will display my texts on the NAV/RADIO screen and it give me a few options to answer with with one push of a button (such as driving, busy, I'll get back to you, etc.)

I also have an option on my Android to prevent texts if the phone is moving at a set speed. I have it turned off so my vehicle can register texts, and if I'm a passenger I can do what the heck I want.

Problem with all this is:

By using speed, it could be preventing passengers from texting, not only in a car but in a plane, bus, train, etc.
You are taking the responsibility away from the person. Granted, most are having a hard time being responsible, but still.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:35 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Apple can start by making an easier to navigate music app. It started straight forward, could shuffle your entire music collection with one click. Now you've got a 50% chance at driving off the road if you use their own app.
Their app being iTunes......
Again... you can use Siri to turn on iTunes, shuffle all songs or request a particular song..... Hey Siri... turn music on, hey Siri... play Moondance. Don't have to pick up your phone or take your eyes off the road.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
They should also stop selling alcohol or food as people have also been known to eat/drink those while driving and getting distracted. Or heck, get rid of cars altogether. We'll all be safer
They should put privacy glass between the first and 2nd row seats so my kids won't distract me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive