Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times

Advertisements

BTW, Formula 1 brakes, like Indy car brakes and NASCAR brakes, are not drilled:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:59 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Slotting and drilling do not stop the car even an inch shorter. TIRES are the limiting factor on braking. Yes, no matter how big your brakes are, if you don't change your tires, you wont' stop even an inch shorter. Especially if you can lock up the brakes or invoke ABS already.

Drilling and slotting was done to prevent a boundary layer of outgassing from old asbestos pads building up and causing the brakes to be ineffective, Modern pads don't do that, so they are there ONLY for looks, even on exotics. ANY hard use on the track will crack drilled rotors. Even carbon ceramics will crack at the holes. Notice, however, that the exotics with drilled rotors, including the carbon ceramics, have vastly oversized brakes compared to typical street cars, so there is some added material to absorb and disperse heat throughout the rotor before it dissipates it off to the air.

Dimpling is a way to get the looks of drilled rotors without as much chance of cracking, but removing material from the brakes, even as slightly as dimpling, reduced the ability of the brakes to remove heat from the pads and still causes stress risers. You'll probably be fine at typical street speeds, but just be assured, it's also just for looks.
Learned something new today, thank you. I also noticed how the P1 runs solid rotors. Do F1 change rotors on pit stops as you can see rotors glowing?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
I had them on my 98 Chevy truck. Guy near me was making them himself. (He built race cars so he knew what he was doing.) Im pretty sure it was Raybestos rotors, and Im 100% sure the pads were. The holes on his were slightly tapered on the surface to maybe 1/2 way down. I got almost 80000 miles out of those pads and rotors. Was it the rotors, pads, I dont know. They were still on the truck when I sold it, so I dont know how long they lasted after that. Will I do it again, nah, have no reason to gain any benefit that I may have had then.

OP, just put regular rotors on it and be done with it.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Manufacturers put whatever customers want on them and most customers are stupid.

Bingo.

A lot of this is marketing driven, and not engineering driven.

Basically every post Tiffer E38 has said is correct. The crossdrilled rotors are a great visual, but that's about it (on your average commuter-type vehicle)

I will admit, I am guilty of running them myself. They just look nice. When I do any sort of autoXing, or road course racing, I swap them out for blank style rotors. But since 99% of my driving is down to the local coffee shop to hang out...i'll go with the bling bling look

Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
To All:

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/s1-kit...and-rk-rotors/

I'm not using OEM parts, been there already when car was new. Being almost 12 years old, should I simply replace the calipers as well?.

Thanks again to everyone, this has been a real help. I've poured $3,500 into this car over the past year replacing everything the now defunct Chevy messed up. So I'm keeping it until the brand new tires I hate fall off. I purchased Goodyear Comfort Tread Touring, good performance but too noisy.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
To All:

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/s1-kit...and-rk-rotors/

I'm not using OEM parts, been there already when car was new. Being almost 12 years old, should I simply replace the calipers as well?.

Thanks again to everyone, this has been a real help. I've poured $3,500 into this car over the past year replacing everything the now defunct Chevy messed up. So I'm keeping it until the brand new tires I hate fall off. I purchased Goodyear Comfort Tread Touring, good performance but too noisy.
good choice on the brakes. as for the tires, how many miles do you have on them? you might find the noise goes away after awhile.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:13 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good choice on the brakes. as for the tires, how many miles do you have on them? you might find the noise goes away after awhile.
Only 2,000, car isn't driven much. Cheaper tires make no noise, only they burn out fast and then transfer stress to the more expensive components.
Like the strut assemblies I upgraded a year ago.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
I'm running drilled rotors on 3 of my cars, one for the past 5 years. I mainly wanted them because they are coated and do not rust, but the holes have not presented a problem at all.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Only 2,000, car isn't driven much. Cheaper tires make no noise, only they burn out fast and then transfer stress to the more expensive components.
Like the strut assemblies I upgraded a year ago.
a few times over the decades i have bought new tires, and they made some noise for teh first few thousand miles, but as the tread wore a bit, the noise went away. i suspect your will also.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:17 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Bingo.

A lot of this is marketing driven, and not engineering driven.

Basically every post Tiffer E38 has said is correct. The crossdrilled rotors are a great visual, but that's about it (on your average commuter-type vehicle)

I will admit, I am guilty of running them myself. They just look nice. When I do any sort of autoXing, or road course racing, I swap them out for blank style rotors. But since 99% of my driving is down to the local coffee shop to hang out...i'll go with the bling bling look

Wait a minute....the drapes don't match the rug here....is that a Corvette caliper on a Mustang?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive