Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 AM

342 posts, read 318,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In the United States the three best selling motor vehicles 2016 (the last full year) were:

#1----Ford F-150 Pickup.

#2---Chevrolet Silverado Pickup.

#3---Dodge Ram Pickup.

All automobiles fell below these top 3, so maybe the best vehicle due to number of sales in USA, is by far a Pickup, mostly 4 door models, and a high percentage of them 4 wheel drive.

10 Best Selling Vehicles in America for 2016

And the F-150 Pickup is the second best selling model of motor vehicles in the entire world.

This tells me 2 things:

1.) Gas prices are too low in the U.S.

2.) Most Americans don't care about global warming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 AM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhshelby89 View Post
if you basically want the best get a ram pickup,its sold the most and being the most reliable compared to ford and gm. best with some of the best resell get a wrangler. Best while actually having something that looks great get a charger or challenger as they have basically no problems with the best motors and transmissions in the business. If you`re wanting a car to be used like an appliance and could care less about driving enjoyment,looks etc a Honda,toyota,or Hyundai in that order.
You know you've made a ridiculous post when people can't tell if it's serious or satire.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
You know you've made a ridiculous post when people can't tell if it's serious or satire.
Surprised he didn't sprinkle a Fiat in there

Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
The best? No. Honda has engineered and produced some extremely durable, reliable, engines. They made some of the best 4 cylinder engines ever - engines you could beat the snot out of and it laughs and asks for more. Their manual transmissions are joyous machines that are so precise and forgiving. They have fantastic ergonomics and have done some very innovative things to eek the most space out of some of their smaller cars. They are good at a lot of things for sure, but they aren't the best automaker. For better or worse, they tend to lag behind other manufacturers to implement the latest tech. They don't build durable automatic transmissions. They don't carry sensible trim level offerings. And there are a few more points I'm too lazy to continue discussing. They are a good auto company, one of the better ones - in fact - but not the best (which is subjective anyway).
Who's lineup would you say that is better? Toyota, Dodge, Ford?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Which Honda's are fun to drive? Why?
Civics are getting good reviews and are considered fun to drive.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
This tells me 2 things:

1.) Gas prices are too low in the U.S.

2.) Most Americans don't care about global warming

No it tells me if you want a reliable car that will last there are better options than an American car. This is not the case with trucks which have a much better reputation for longevity. It also tells me truck owners tend to have more "Buy American" bumper stickers than car owners.

Come to think of it it's probably more the second idea.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM

342 posts, read 318,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No it tells me if you want a reliable car that will last there are better options than an American car. This is not the case with trucks which have a much better reputation for longevity. It also tells me truck owners tend to have more "Buy American" bumper stickers than car owners.

Come to think of it it's probably more the second idea.
I agree: If you want a truck, especially if you are among the few who will work it, American trucks are well ahead of the foreign competition (even though Nissan and Toyota full size trucks are made here).

It's just strange to hear about global warming every day in the news, but the top 3 selling vehicles are full size trucks.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
I agree: If you want a truck, especially if you are among the few who will work it, American trucks are well ahead of the foreign competition (even though Nissan and Toyota full size trucks are made here).

It's just strange to hear about global warming every day in the news, but the top 3 selling vehicles are full size trucks.
I think to your second point, most Americans can really give a rip about global warming. Of course, the merits of if that matters or not is for another thread on another forum. I have friends who tend to lean more toward GM trucks, and they have all said Sierras and Silverados tend to drive much smoother than Tundras and Titans, and parts for those trucks generally tend to be cheaper than parts for Nissan, Toyota, and Ford. Of course they all tend to agree that Dodge sucks, but I have not dog in that fight.

Personally, I'd like to have a truck to haul things, pull campers and trailers, and provide me with a good 4WD option when I need to get out during bad winter weather. I'm also an American muscle car enthusiast who currently drives a..............................Honda Accord, LOL!

Hondas have been pretty reliable for our family, but they're not particular fun to drive. My wife's 4-cylinder RAV4 is much "perkier" than what her Honda CR-V was. It's day and night with the performance. The best automaker is really going to be a subjective thing. Pure numbers and statistics will provide people with an overall idea, but it always comes down to personal taste and experience.

My experience is, even though my Honda Accord has been reliable, it's sporty, and will probably last me past 200k miles, it's not a fun car. It's just a car with some fancy do-dads on the inside.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Boring and questionable styling? I have to disagree with you on that one as I find the that to be true for Honda. The new Ridgeline for instance has to be one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen, why someone would by that is beyond comprehension.

Because it's actually a fairly attractive mini-truck that does a good job of light duty truck work while being comfortable and economical to own. A lot of people have been asking for a mini truck again that can be used like this and right now, Honda is the only one in that category, as the mid size trucks have all gotten too big.

I like this truck and it's capabilities:

Quote:
Honda to me was always just a boring reliable vehicle that most people could afford.

You're forgetting that Honda's first road cars in the '60s (they started out with motorcycles and formula cars) was a series of classic sports cars, the S400/s500/S600. THEN they moved on to economy cars, which after '74 always had a sporting variant in the lineup, from the Civic S to the Si (including the wonderfully sporty CRX Si) to the Type R series that was their road race specials. And of course Honda road racing in cars has been going on since the '60s with often major dominance in F1 and sports car racing. The NSX redefined exotic cars.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2bNTxD0HOkQ/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...=1500496977462

Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Who's lineup would you say that is better? Toyota, Dodge, Ford?

from top to bottom of your example ...

1) Toyota,best line up out there and all will run at least 250,000 mi!

2)Ford for Trucks only

3) Sorry to me Dodge is junk and I have had to Min Vans ,I will never buy a dodge or jeep again.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive