Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

Who cares? Just drive it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
The new Jag e pace looks interesting... the vs X1 articles will be fun to read.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I consider an SUV to be body on frame. A CUV is a unibody. SUV running gear is built like a truck. CUV running gear is built like a car.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You did say truck based. That's where I took the body-on-frame from. But I see what you're saying now.
Fair enough, I can see why you'd derive that. I was speaking more to the sourcing from truck platforms more so than the body on frame design. Still I can see why you'd raise that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Who cares? Just drive it!
There's always one. What's wrong with just letting people have a discussion, even a seemingly benign one, without the dismissive "who cares" attitude? Does it bother you that people are interested in talking about this stuff?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
To me an SUV is a heavier duty vehicle for towing boats and camper trailers. Folks in the rust belt will want 4x4s.

A crossover fills the niche that station wagons had when cars were bigger. They are less chubby than minivans.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:52 PM

134 posts, read 472,136 times
Anything that doesn't have a ladder frame AND a transfer case is not a SUV to me.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
No. An SUV can be either body-on-frame or unibody, but it needs to have 4WD and be off-road capable, incl adequate ground clearance, suspension system, and skid plates, and have a towing capacity of at least 5000 lbs. Show me a crossover that comes close to that. A purist would probably say a true SUV also has a manual transmission, lacks a cushy interior and electronic doo-dads, and is able to ford streams.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Fun fact:

Two midsize SUVs are now crossovers: The Ford Explorer and the Nissan Pathfinder.

When Ford discontinued the Ranger (2011 if I'm not mistaken) the Explorer migrated from that platform to the Taurus platform. I'm less familiar with the Pathfinder and Nissan products across the board. In the Explorer's case I'd be willing to bet it's a better daily driver than before, but less capable off road or in otherwise austere conditions than some of the older models. Perhaps the same can be said of the Pathfinder.

I'm sure both companies' market analysts know what they're doing though.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
I know these changes are driven by market analysts, safety regulations, and CAFE requirements, but those of us who need a true SUV are finding it increasingly difficult to find one. I was outraged when Nissan stopped production of the Xterra with no plans to replace it with another SUV. WTH use do I have for a Rogue? Exactly zero.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I know these changes are driven by market analysts, safety regulations, and CAFE requirements, but those of us who need a true SUV are finding it increasingly difficult to find one. I was outraged when Nissan stopped production of the Xterra with no plans to replace it with another SUV. WTH use do I have for a Rogue? Exactly zero.
You left out cost. For example it made sense to convert the Explorer from SUV to crossover because the company maximized savings in productions lines closing in one arena and optimizing existing production lines elsewhere.

I also think it's the mid size SUVs that are fading away. The 4Runner is still doing well, and I suppose the Dodge Durango can be considered a mid-size. Then there's Jeeps. It does seem like crossovers are phasing out the mid-size SUVs. If you look at either of the two minivan threads here (one recent, the other recently revived) you see a lot of accusations that SUV drivers are "image conscious." I'd suggest more crossover drivers fit this description than do actual SUV drivers: they want something that looks like an SUV but drives and feels like a car. It's just a hunch on my part.

Meanwhile full size SUVs are alive and well and I imagine will be for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive