Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Then again know plenty of renters who take the prepaid fuel option, bring vehicle back on fumes and don't give a darn.
Wouldn't it be even more important in that case? If you paid ALL of the fuel beforehand, you would want to make sure that you use up ALL of it, before returning, but you don't end up 3 miles before reaching your destination. I never go for that option, because I can never exactly estimate how many miles I am going to drive and if I am going to use up the whole fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Wouldn't it be even more important in that case? If you paid ALL of the fuel beforehand, you would want to make sure that you use up ALL of it, before returning, but you don't end up 3 miles before reaching your destination. I never go for that option, because I can never exactly estimate how many miles I am going to drive and if I am going to use up the whole fuel.

Come on realistically, leaving aside hybrids and some very petrol sipping cars, how far do you thing you'll go even when a tank is over filled before gauge moves off "full"?

Pre-paid fuel option only covers the amount of petrol used, that is if you take the thing out full, then you will be charged for whatever gallons it takes to "fill up" the tank after you bring it back. If that amount is only say one half tank then that is what it is.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Come on realistically, leaving aside hybrids and some very petrol sipping cars, how far do you thing you'll go even when a tank is over filled before gauge moves off "full"?

Pre-paid fuel option only covers the amount of petrol used, that is if you take the thing out full, then you will be charged for whatever gallons it takes to "fill up" the tank after you bring it back. If that amount is only say one half tank then that is what it is.
1.) My maximum was like 100 miles. Then it dropped to 3/4 within a couple of miles
Modern cars often have only LED-signs in 1/8 increments. So, before dropping from 8/8 to 7/8 (99% of first 1/8 used up) of let's say 20 gallon could be up to 2.5 Gallon.

2.) There are two options. (from Hertz website):

• You can let us refuel for you and we'll charge you gas at pump price plus a flat $6.99 refueling fee per transaction. Pump rate/retail priced is based on average retail price in local area as periodically updated. Taxes and Concession Fees, where applicable, are extra.
• You may purchase a full tank of gas at pump price minus $.15 per gallon (in Canada, 5 cents per liter less). Please be aware that we are unable to issue a refund for unused fuel. However, this method eliminates the need for you to refuel the tank prior to returning.

What you wrote is correct for the first option. But then you have to pay extra fee.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
1.) My maximum was like 100 miles. Then it dropped to 3/4 within a couple of miles
Modern cars often have only LED-signs in 1/8 increments. So, before dropping from 8/8 to 7/8 (99% of first 1/8 used up) of let's say 20 gallon could be up to 2.5 Gallon.

2.) There are two options. (from Hertz website):

• You can let us refuel for you and we'll charge you gas at pump price plus a flat $6.99 refueling fee per transaction. Pump rate/retail priced is based on average retail price in local area as periodically updated. Taxes and Concession Fees, where applicable, are extra.
• You may purchase a full tank of gas at pump price minus $.15 per gallon (in Canada, 5 cents per liter less). Please be aware that we are unable to issue a refund for unused fuel. However, this method eliminates the need for you to refuel the tank prior to returning.

What you wrote is correct for the first option. But then you have to pay extra fee.

Every rental agency does things a bit differently; but I certainly am not surprised by Hertz, the place seems to exist only to maximize every dollar they can get from each rental. Read somewhere that Hertz now requires drivers to show receipts when returning vehicles as proof of refilling.

National has three options, one is close to Hertz but without extra fees:

https://nationalcar.custhelp.com/app...o-you-offer%3F

Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Enterprise kills me with that!

Have gotten vehicles with 1/2, 7/8th, 1/4.... and yes, they always say the same "bring it back with whatever is on the gauge". Yeah so how am I supposed to return a vehicle with exactly 1/4 tank of gas?

At least around here Enterprise will credit you for the excess gas, and have a sneaking suspicion they want customers to top off vehicles so they don't have to bother.
That's interesting. Every time I have rented from Enterprise I get it with a full tank. When I return it I stop at a gas station near the airport and fill it til the pump auto shuts off and then round to the nearest $.50 or $1.00. Never had an issue

Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That's interesting. Every time I have rented from Enterprise I get it with a full tank. When I return it I stop at a gas station near the airport and fill it til the pump auto shuts off and then round to the nearest $.50 or $1.00. Never had an issue
From my experience it depends on the location. Airport locations will often give you a full tank and require you to return full, while I had 1/4, 7/8 and whatever else in smaller town locations. One even gave me a car with the comment "the tank is almost empty, you can fill it up right next door". Oh yes, thank you.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Depends on the gas gauge.

If the gas gauge reads full, it's full. If it doesn't it isn't. It's not hard.
This. What an odd question. You'd feel bad for the next guy? You are an amazing human. Is the needle on full or very damn close? "Next guy" will be just fine.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

It varies by location and most importantly access to a pump.

For all car rental places staff is supposed to take vehicles to be fueled if there isn't a pump on premises. In some locations including many urban there just isn't a petrol station near nor a pump in garage. This means staff must drive (and deal with traffic) to find a pump, fill up the vehicle, and return. This obviously can eat up a lot of time, especially when you have many vehicles that need filling.

Am guessing someone somewhere has run the numbers and just let vehicles go out with less than full tanks as noted in my previous post.

Case in point here in Manhattan, NYC petrol stations are vanishing fast. There is only one left in my part of town and it is nearly twenty blocks away. Being the only game in town so speak the place is often very busy, especially with taxis, limos, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive