Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

W motor was Piech's baby. It has the bad qualities of horizontally opposed motors (difficult access, wide and heavy), high complexity, and high fuel consumption - but also the smoothness and power that you get from a radial engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
From what i have read, a bently build with VW badges
Other way around. Phaeton went on sale a year before the Bentleys that share its platform.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
VW also doesn't market the Polo and the Up here. Both are city type cars, and excellent value for money.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:39 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
W motor was Piech's baby. It has the bad qualities of horizontally opposed motors (difficult access, wide and heavy), high complexity, and high fuel consumption - but also the smoothness and power that you get from a radial engine.
What "smooth" radial engine are you referring to?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
I wonder if the lack of this model in the US market has anything to do with the impression of many that the quality of VW, and Passats especially, is comparable to a Yugo. Nice driving cars - you bet. But way too friendly with the mechanics.

You know that crossed finger sign to ward off evil and bad luck? I make it every time someone mentions VW in a conversation. Worst car I ever owned was a VW Passat. And that is saying something - I owned an Austin America for a while.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I wonder if the lack of this model in the US market has anything to do with the impression of many that the quality of VW, and Passats especially, is comparable to a Yugo. Nice driving cars - you bet. But way too friendly with the mechanics.

You know that crossed finger sign to ward off evil and bad luck? I make it every time someone mentions VW in a conversation. Worst car I ever owned was a VW Passat. And that is saying something - I owned an Austin America for a while.
By and large, branding matters to Americans. Phaeton failed because nobody wanted to pay upwards of 70 grand for a vehicle with a VW badge on it, never mind the fact that it was mechanically very similar to the Audi A8 which sold for the same price.

One could expect that the 1990 Lexus LS400 would have failed spectacularly in the US if it were sold here under the name Toyota Celsior.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:49 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
By and large, branding matters to Americans. Phaeton failed because nobody wanted to pay upwards of 70 grand for a vehicle with a VW badge on it, never mind the fact that it was mechanically very similar to the Audi A8 which sold for the same price.
They depreciated rapidly, too. But a used Phaeton with low miles can be obtained rather cheaply, and they are said to be wonderful to drive. Remove the VW badging and your neighbors and co-workers will be terribly impressed.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
There is a W10 model as well, but not over here. Too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Passat never came with a W10 even in Europe...

Architecturally speaking, I don't see how a W10 is possible. A W8 is four banks of two; a W12 is four banks of three, and and a W16 is four banks of four.

My understanding of W engine configurations is that there are 4 banks, and thus you couldn't do a W10. You could do a V10 but not a W10.

Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
They depreciated rapidly, too. But a used Phaeton with low miles can be obtained rather cheaply, and they are said to be wonderful to drive. Remove the VW badging and your neighbors and co-workers will be terribly impressed.
I've toyed with the idea. They're getting a lot harder to find though.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Architecturally speaking, I don't see how a W10 is possible. A W8 is four banks of two; a W12 is four banks of three, and and a W16 is four banks of four.

My understanding of W engine configurations is that there are 4 banks, and thus you couldn't do a W10. You could do a V10 but not a W10.

Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.
VW's W12, for example, is really two narrow-angle VR6 engines sharing one crankshaft.

They used to have a VR5 engine in the portfolio, so they technically could have created a W10 engine in the same fashion.

That said, the Phaeton had a diesel V10 in Europe, not a W10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive