Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
No, Elon Musk would either be staying put and laughing at all those people on gas lines or he would be leaving in his Tesla laughing at all those people in gas lines.
Helicopter/jet to wherever he is to take him where he wants to go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 04:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The X and the S have the same drive train. The X has more weight, so less range than the S.

Nope.
I think I will take the words off the official Telsa site at face value - directly quoted:

"Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X under the Supercharger program.
  • 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.
  • In North America, pricing is fixed within each state or province. Internationally, pricing is fixed within each country. All prices include taxes and fees.
  • Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
    • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
    • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.
  • Supercharger pricing information may be viewed on the touchscreen and is summarized below."
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging
Maybe click on the link for Tesla's information today. It still says 1000 miles of Supercharger credits annually. Maybe you can find something different on the Tesla site.

80% of 300miles is 240 miles in 45 minutes. What happen to charging 300 miles in 30 minutes that you mentioned?

I turn my car off if I am in an idling situation. That uses zero gallons. There are also many cars today with auto start/stop systems, also using zero gallons while not moving.

If you get out early in a gas/diesel car you will have zero problems and you won't have to stop every 200 miles for 45 minutes. I do not see how stopping every 200 miles for 45 minutes is ever an advantage.
You just keep stating the same thing over and over again. I am super glad you shut your car off when idling, most people do not. As for getting out early, people were seeing gas stations out of fuel as early as Thursday and lines hours long by Friday. That is the advantage.

And once more since the electric car haters can't seem to remember the OP. It was asked if people would be stuck or need to find another car. Given the dozen people who have no stated they used their Teslas to evacuate, the question is answered.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:01 AM

16,664 posts, read 17,426,834 times
Without having gone through the entire thread, it seems that it shows that there is a division between people on the acceptance of electric vehicles.

Certainly from a European perspective they are here to stay and expand and one way or another the internal combustion engine will be less and less predominant. I would think that hybrids will be a big part of the equation as things evolve.

If we had had this discussion a hundred years ago it might go along the lines of whether to use a car or stick with the horse and cart. Times and technology change.

As to the OP's question, I probably wouldn't rely on an electric vehicle, and I hope that I am never put in the situation of having to escape a hurricane.

I lived in Houston a number of years ago and vehicles escaping the Gulf coast were running out of gas in our old neighbourhood. Our old house, by the way, is in a badly affected area after Harvey.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here's a pretty neat thing that Tesla did to aid in the evacuation. In Models S60D and X60D, Tesla sent an upgrade via wi-fi to those vehicles to unlock the extra 40 miles of range that were limited by software. The 60D models actually have the same battery as the 75D but range is limited.

But the extended range will go away on 9/16. Tesla usually charges about $5K for the extra range.
WoW. Do you mean that Tesla takes away capabilities from a car and charges you $5000 hostage fee to get it back?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And once more since the electric car haters can't seem to remember the OP. It was asked if people would be stuck or need to find another car. Given the dozen people who have no stated they used their Teslas to evacuate, the question is answered.
Seems that it was. Out of millions that evacuated, only 2 or 3 managed to do so in a Tesla.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:04 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Without having gone through the entire thread, it seems that it shows that there is a division between people on the acceptance of electric vehicles.

Certainly from a European perspective they are here to stay and expand and one way or another the internal combustion engine will be less and less predominant. I would think that hybrids will be a big part of the equation as things evolve.

If we had had this discussion a hundred years ago it might go along the lines of whether to use a car or stick with the horse and cart. Times and technology change.

As to the OP's question, I probably wouldn't rely on an electric vehicle, and I hope that I am never put in the situation of having to escape a hurricane.

I lived in Houston a number of years ago and vehicles escaping the Gulf coast were running out of gas in our old neighbourhood. Our old house, by the way, is in a badly affected area after Harvey.
Nothing really against EVs. There's a division between Tesla fanboys and the rest of the planet. Its like with Apple fanboys only worse.

The discussion 100 years ago regarding the horse and buggy vs a car isn't apples to apples.
A horse and buggy topped out at 10-15 miles an hour vs 45 mph for a Model T.
Owning a horse (especially in the city) is a huge hassle. You have to feed a horse whether you use it or not and you're shoveling horse manure all day as well. Cars only need gas if you use it and their emissions are maintenance free.
A car is half the length of a horse and buggy set up and parking is much easier.
There's almost no advantage to a horse and buggy over a car which explains the car's rapid global acceptance without any government subsidies or regulations dictating otherwise.

However there are very slim advantages to EVs over gas cars and a lot of disadvantages.
EVs generally have quicker 0-60 times but suffer in any other kind of racing.
EVs are quiet which is good unless you're the kind of person who pays extra to make your exhaust louder.
EVs are topped off with juice every morning (no gas stations) but suffer from range and slow recharge times. Coming home to a city who's power is out for 2 weeks sucks for EV owners as well.
EVs are more energy efficient and cheaper to operate and maintain but cost more negating the advantages. They also rapidly depreciate further degrading any savings.

If EVs actually stood out on their own, no government requirements or subsidies would be required. Europe is switching to EVs strictly because their governments are forcing them and massive incentives, not because of their own merits.

Pitting EVs against ICEs is like pitting Honda Civics against F-150s. They're not necessarily direct replacements. EV owners (especially Tesla owners) in general get stigmatized because they feel like they need to act like missionaries preaching the good word on EVs and that Elon is coming for our salvation.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
WoW. Do you mean that Tesla takes away capabilities from a car and charges you $5000 hostage fee to get it back?
Yep. It's as if Ford started giving all Mustangs a V8, but deactivated 4 cylinders unless you pay up.
It was one of many of Tesla's stupid business ideas and they eventually did away with it.

Its one of many reasons they remain unprofitable even with a cult investor/ownership following and solely existing in one of the longest and most profitable automotive market rallies in recent history.

Tesla essentially fronted the cost of the extra battery capacity that the majority of people who bought that option didn't use. Those people are also lugging around extra weight they didn't pay for.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Seems that it was. Out of millions that evacuated, only 2 or 3 managed to do so in a Tesla.
And its a good thing there weren't more Teslas, otherwise they'd end up riding out the storm in line at a supercharger station.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:32 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
No, they didn't hold you hostage. When you bought the 60D, you only paid for 60 kw of power. The model 60D used the same battery as the 75D. If you bought the 60D, you saved $5K over the cost of the 75D - it was an entry level model. If you wanted to unlock that capacity in the future, you could pay to do so rather than buy a new vehicle.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
People like me evacuate before the officials order them......long before the whole state is trying to get out.

Aaand you would have done the same in a Tesla if you owned one of them. That's not a function of what car you have, merely YOUR prep work.

Guys, the simple fact is: yes, people who owned them used their Teslas to evacuate, and they did so successfully. Any other statement is BS and needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive