Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,046,597 times

Advertisements

Sun/Moon-roofs Standard On All Cars by 2025

Can't buy a BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus without one, and those who buy any other make or model either option a glass top or select a package including one.

Same thing happened to electric windows and A/C years ago. More economical to just build it that way in the first place!

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 07:24 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,309,443 times
There are still cars that come with no A/C (not sure about electric windows). Albeit these are typically performance oriented vehicles that are trying to save weight.

Since this is not a safety issue. I suspect you may still have the option of having these items removed for speciality models. Albeit there won't be any price reduction for doing so.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,386,567 times
We just bought a new 2017, and in looking never saw any (F150) with a sunroof or moon roof. Same when we bought my wife's 2014 Escape. I only had one once, and it was useless. Too much noise when open, not anything interesting to see through it while driving. Because the vehicle had everything else we wanted, I told them I would not pay for it, or would look elsewhere for one without it, and they deducted the cost (about $800 at the time).

Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,489,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Sun/Moon-roofs Standard On All Cars by 2025

Can't buy a BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus without one, and those who buy any other make or model either option a glass top or select a package including one.

Same thing happened to electric windows and A/C years ago. More economical to just build it that way in the first place!

What do you all think?
Aside from the fact that electric windows and air conditioning are not, in fact, universal, there's another flaw in this analogy. Almost everyone prefers air conditioning, all other things being equal. Almost everyone needs to periodically roll down their windows and so prefers the ease of electric. No one needs a sun-roof, and most people just don't care.

It's like comparing central air in a house to a sky-light. So what is happening with air conditioning and electric windows is completely irrelevant to sun-roofs.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,746,015 times
My new Lexus LC500 most certainly does not have a sunroof/moonroof. It does have a fixed glass roof with the ability to open a sunshade. My buddies Tesla has the same setup. Works well if you like to light up the cabin.

Last edited by Stonepa; 10-31-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,313,347 times
Sunroofs can be a source of rattles.. both my current car and previous car had rattles.. my previous car I could fix with jamming a few nickels/quarters up there, my 2012 Camry was 7 months out of warranty when I bought it and I'd need to spend $850 to tear half the car apart to get at where it's rattling.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nxra5q8gd...%20SUnroof.pdf

For those that say Toyota's cars are bombproof and that they'll cover you on everything, not so. I've learned to ignore it. Cost of buying used out of warranty I guess. The last owner could have had it fixed under warranty if they gave a damn. Given the choice I'd rather not have them but to get the package you want they have to throw it in.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
My new Lexus LC500 most certainly does not have a sunroof/moonroof. It does have a glass roof with the ability to open a sunshade. My buddies Tesla has the same setup. Works well if you like to light up the cabin.

Good enough! Glass roof/sunroof/moon whatever, it just makes the cabin feel roomier and as you said, brighter. I envy you, as I was wrecked out of a fine 08 Optima which I had the dealer install a moon on when I bought it. I am presently in a 15 Elantra which has few options for a standard size aftermarket install. Oh well, someday I'll be back in a ride with it!

Another advantage of an operable roof is ability to cool the car down much faster than by just opening side windows, especially after car has sat for hours in a sunny parking lot at the beach or a ballpark, etc.

As for those who don't like sunroofs or don't prefer them, there's a shade for that. Pull on it!

Sunroofs may not, as some have stated on here, be as essential as electric windows or A/C, but they are following the same path to becoming standard equipment. So-called 'panoramic' sunroofs are another story - lots of complaints of squeaks and rattles owing to sheer square acreage of glass, LOL. I'm satisfied with just a standard slit of glass above the front row, which most crew-sized cab pickUP trucks will accomodate just fine.

Here in Connecticut, just eyeballing traffic from either in my car or a high vantage point, I'd say 2/3 of all sedans, coupes, and SUVs have them, and a smattering of minivans and extended cab pickups.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 10-31-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 AM

17,639 posts, read 17,750,513 times
NO WAY! They eventually cause rattles, wind noise, and water leaks. Never want one! They also reduce head room for tall people.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
NO WAY! They eventually cause rattles, wind noise, and water leaks. Never want one! They also reduce head room for tall people.
Welcome to the 2010s! I'm sure things have improved considerably since your experience.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,436,515 times
I'm tall, I friggin HATE those headroom stealing things. I know we've used ours less than once per year for the ~15 years we've owned the car, may have only used it 5~6 times in total. Plus, it's just one more area to leak, one more mechanism to break and for those who prefer stiff, light sporty cars, it robs the lightness. Never mind the Terrible glare they introduce into the car.

Leave them as an option. They add absolutely nothing positive to a vehicle for me, they actually make a vehicle worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive