Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM

6,456 posts, read 9,828,016 times

Advertisements

Not going to happen just because you want it to lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,097,331 times
I'm trying to figure out how a layer of glass with no headliner above your head gives you LESS headroom than the layer of metal + headliner. There's MORE room over my head with my sunroof/moonroof than in a non-sunroof example that has a headliner that sits an inch below the metal of the roof. In fact, I've only ever seen ONE sunroof setup that had less headroom than the standard headliner in the same car and that was in the '70s.

It's not a valid complaint anymore, especially for pano roofs.

For me, if I can't have a convertible, then that closed roof car better have an opening to let light in. Oh, and mine is 17 years old and still has no rattles or leaks...

Old 10-31-2017, 08:49 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Not going to happen just because you want it to lol

I'm sure the majority of people want sunroofs, if they could afford as a single option or as part of a package including it. It's my older relatives that have them, but hate them!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how a layer of glass with no headliner above your head gives you LESS headroom than the layer of metal + headliner. There's MORE room over my head with my sunroof/moonroof than in a non-sunroof example that has a headliner that sits an inch below the metal of the roof. In fact, I've only ever seen ONE sunroof setup that had less headroom than the standard headliner in the same car and that was in the '70s.

It's not a valid complaint anymore, especially for pano roofs.

For me, if I can't have a convertible, then that closed roof car better have an opening to let light in. Oh, and mine is 17 years old and still has no rattles or leaks...

Where a sunroof might rob headroom is if it's an aftermarket install - mechanicals and mounting rails might intrude a little.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,475,957 times
some sports cars won't have them or at least offer a version without, it compromises performance and adds weight

Old 10-31-2017, 09:16 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,097,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Where a sunroof might rob headroom is if it's an aftermarket install - mechanicals and mounting rails might intrude a little.
So far all of them that I've seen or worked with have had the mechanicals and mounting rails fit well within the thickness of the headliner. As I said, it's been since the '70s since I've seen one that was thicker over the driver's head than without a sunroof.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,479,154 times
I have a sun/moon roof on my Accord. I use it about 50% of the time in the summer. It's kind of an after thought for me. That was one thing that attracted me to the car when I bought it, but after having owned this car for about 6 years and some change, it hasn't been very important for me.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,431,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So far all of them that I've seen or worked with have had the mechanicals and mounting rails fit well within the thickness of the headliner. As I said, it's been since the '70s since I've seen one that was thicker over the driver's head than without a sunroof.
I know for a fact that my MKIV jetta has less headroom with the sunroof than without. Tape-measure between 2 vehicles, personal experience, and it's enough to force me to recline the seat to fit without my head rubbing the headliner.

I haven't measured, but the same was true when I was shopping Audi A3's a couple years ago from a subjective standpoint. Those with sunroofs required the seats to be let back further.

The bottom line is I hate them and don't want one. Makes no difference what someone Else thinks of the reasons, if they are Currently valid or just something of days gone by. People either want them or they don't. Caring that someone wants one or does is pointless.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We just bought a new 2017, and in looking never saw any (F150) with a sunroof or moon roof. Same when we bought my wife's 2014 Escape. I only had one once, and it was useless. Too much noise when open, not anything interesting to see through it while driving. Because the vehicle had everything else we wanted, I told them I would not pay for it, or would look elsewhere for one without it, and they deducted the cost (about $800 at the time).
You weren't looking at the right trim level. The Platinum and Limited have it in the Super Crew.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,170,520 times
Quote:
What do you all think?
I think it's a horrible idea.
Quote:
As for those who don't like sunroofs or don't prefer them, there's a shade for that. Pull on it!
No, thanks. I'd rather have my extra headroom and structural rigidity than an ugly hole in the roof for which I have no use or an ugly cover for said hole.
Quote:
Welcome to the 2010s! I'm sure things have improved considerably since your experience.
The 2010s have nothing to do with it. It's still one more thing to break, it still impacts headroom and it still reduces the structural rigidity of a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive