Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

Either way its 0% w/ Subaru on an '18 Forester. But the option to lease sounds good also? I know many folk lease but I've never. I can buy cash outright but dealer advised 63 mos. 0% finance, & put the cash saved $ in a 2% account to get interest vs paying cash upfront.

This cuts me short, if I cash buy tho, for a new home -- buy but either way I'd need to factor $ needed to pay off 25K-plus car loan. So, I can't spend more throwaway cash, if I lease or finance either.

Ok, so is leasing a good deal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
0% for 63 months on a Subaru is a fantastic deal. Just don’t pay any more than invoice. They have a higher money factor than competitors for leasing though.

We’re also looking at an ‘18 Forester XT Touring. Hoping the 0% is renewed next month as we are looking to buy Nov/Dec.

Put 2-3 years of payments in in the purchase and you’ll likely be much better off than leasing thanks to their high resale.

Last edited by notnamed; 10-31-2017 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Only you can run your numbers and come to the right conclusion for you. No one else can do that (at least, unless you want to reveal your full financial situation... might as well post up your social, mothers maiden, and high school mascot).

Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Either way its 0% w/ Subaru on an '18 Forester. But the option to lease sounds good also? I know many folk lease but I've never. I can buy cash outright but dealer advised 63 mos. 0% finance, & put the cash saved $ in a 2% account to get interest vs paying cash upfront.

This cuts me short, if I cash buy tho, for a new home -- buy but either way I'd need to factor $ needed to pay off 25K-plus car loan. So, I can't spend more throwaway cash, if I lease or finance either.

Ok, so is leasing a good deal??
Can't answer that since you didn't provide terms of the lease - how are we supposed to compare?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 PM

TY all for replies. I may look to outright buy a used 2-3 yo model. If a good private sale is found on Foretser, or an Outback too (after '14 no more manuals were made tho on Outbacks), I'd by it. My needs are; manual trans, nonsmoker, & no rust (I live in AZ so its dry & rustfree here) but grewup back east & cars 2-3 yrs old can have rust already. I'll mull further this & asap get back re more info.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
If you can wait awhile longer the ‘19 model coming out next year is a whole new model with articles out there advising people to wait for it. So prices new and used of current gen could take a hit when that lands.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you can wait awhile longer the ‘19 model coming out next year is a whole new model with articles out there advising people to wait for it. So prices new and used of current gen could take a hit when that lands.
I can wait forever, haha, so maybe i should. No hurry & my vehicle runs fine, tho its not new. Excellent advice! TY, I owe you a beer, hehee.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:13 AM

251 posts, read 236,756 times
seeing you are all talking about the Forester I decided to post this here...... I hope thats ok...........

I have a question for you... I leased a 16 challenger 18 months ago. I am halfway thru my lease I leased the challenger as a retirement gift to myself thinking I would use it alot, well, 18 months later I now have 6500 mi on the car . It still smells new, and in perfect shape. its the base sxt v6. It just is not practical for me, I am looking at a much more practical vehicle for me a 2018 subaru forester and the dealer has them leasing for 245 with 1700 down or 284 no money down.All in with taxes and fees. 10 k a year for 36 months. And they also have 63 months 0% I love that!! I just dont want a car out of warranty so leaning more toward the lease I think.

Since retiring I do not seem to be driving alot so it leasing smart? My issue is now I am on a fixed income I can afford the payment BUT I cant afford repairs, used cars scare me. My neighbor just had a abs sensor and module go bad at a cost of 1300!! thats something I cant afford. I like the idea of knowing ea month what things cost. I however, feel like I am wasting alot of money for that piece of mind. Some say ride out my lease then get a 6000 car and see how it goes.I am sure I will worry about getting stuck somewhere or a big repair that will make me real upside down on the car. And I will have a big bill that probably would have to go on a
credit card .

I wonder if for me I should consider a 260 ish a month car payment as part of my monthly expenses and just deal with it?? I need transportation so uber, moped or city bus wont work it is in no way a option. I just hate tossing 260 a month or so for a lease car, drive it for 36 months and turn it in with less than 12000 miles just to do it all over again.If I keep re leasing I will toss that money and not use the miles I feel thats a waste of money. I am paying for something and using 1/3 of it. Whether you lease or own there is cost I realize that. I just cannot seem to figure out which in my situation is the best thing to do.
The bright side is no repair bills and peace of mind that I am in a newer car, not some old 6000 car with 80,000 or more miles on it, Any advice???

Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
seeing you are all talking about the Forester I decided to post this here...... I hope thats ok...........

I have a question for you... I leased a 16 challenger 18 months ago. I am halfway thru my lease I leased the challenger as a retirement gift to myself thinking I would use it alot, well, 18 months later I now have 6500 mi on the car . It still smells new, and in perfect shape. its the base sxt v6. It just is not practical for me, I am looking at a much more practical vehicle for me a 2018 subaru forester and the dealer has them leasing for 245 with 1700 down or 284 no money down.All in with taxes and fees. 10 k a year for 36 months. And they also have 63 months 0% I love that!! I just dont want a car out of warranty so leaning more toward the lease I think.

Since retiring I do not seem to be driving alot so it leasing smart? My issue is now I am on a fixed income I can afford the payment BUT I cant afford repairs, used cars scare me. My neighbor just had a abs sensor and module go bad at a cost of 1300!! thats something I cant afford. I like the idea of knowing ea month what things cost. I however, feel like I am wasting alot of money for that piece of mind. Some say ride out my lease then get a 6000 car and see how it goes.I am sure I will worry about getting stuck somewhere or a big repair that will make me real upside down on the car. And I will have a big bill that probably would have to go on a
credit card .

I wonder if for me I should consider a 260 ish a month car payment as part of my monthly expenses and just deal with it?? I need transportation so uber, moped or city bus wont work it is in no way a option. I just hate tossing 260 a month or so for a lease car, drive it for 36 months and turn it in with less than 12000 miles just to do it all over again.If I keep re leasing I will toss that money and not use the miles I feel thats a waste of money. I am paying for something and using 1/3 of it. Whether you lease or own there is cost I realize that. I just cannot seem to figure out which in my situation is the best thing to do.
The bright side is no repair bills and peace of mind that I am in a newer car, not some old 6000 car with 80,000 or more miles on it, Any advice???
Since you put such few miles on a car per year I would buy outright and keep it. If you are worried about something going bad after the original warranty is over then get yourself the extended warranty. Just make sure it is the manufacturers warranty. I think you can get it for up to 8 years now. May cost a bit extra but you will have piece of mind for 8 years.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Since you put such few miles on a car per year I would buy outright and keep it. If you are worried about something going bad after the original warranty is over then get yourself the extended warranty. Just make sure it is the manufacturers warranty. I think you can get it for up to 8 years now. May cost a bit extra but you will have piece of mind for 8 years.
I concur. That's what I did.

I have a company vehicle and only put about 6K-7K miles a year on my Toyota. I expect it to last for a long, long time. I have an extended warranty and it gets dealer serviced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive