Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

Hello every one.

I'm trying to remove a broken bleeder valve. I need to remove the whole drum brake housing to get to it with a screw extractor. The vehicle is a P3500 Value Van. It's a dually 1 Ton Box Van (food truck). To remove the drum (to get to the back plate) I need to remove the axle their is some oil that comes out when I do this. How do i top this oil back up (where do I fill it at) and what kind of oil is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,229,574 times
I don't think you need to pull the axle to replace the brake wheel cylinder (if that is what you are doing). Maybe so, but, usually can get to the wheel cylinder bolts from behind and there is normally clearance. If you do pull the axle and oil leaks out, the refill is the plug on the rear differential. When done, just top it off until it runs out.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,319,297 times
You need gear oil, the type you need depends on the year of your truck. It also may or may not need friction modifier. I would guess there would be some type of fill plug near the top of the pumpkin.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,289,834 times
That seems odd that you'd have to pull an entire axle to remove the brake assembly. Maybe post a picture so we can see what you're working with, but I would certainly think you could do the job without removing the axle.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,264,292 times
First of all... save yourself some time and just throw away the old wheel cylinder, they are $10-15 for a reman. Secondly, the way to prevent oil from coming out is to jack up the side of the axle you are working on as high as you can while it still being safe - Now the angle of the axle will cause the oil to stay on the opposite side and you shouldn't have a mess to worry about. If you elect to replace the cylinder (again, highly recommended) you shouldn't have to remove the axle, just the two bolts fastening the cylinder.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,992,083 times
For those who dont understand what he has....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bUUJCuP4Ypc/hqdefault.jpg

What year is your truck?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post

What year is your truck?
Why do they do these things?! Full floater, axle then hub has come off to perform brake maintenance, what a cluster **** 2nd gen Rams with D60s in the front were similarly stupid - rotor replacement required hub bearing removal as studs were pressed through back of rotor then INTO hub.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,289,834 times
Quote:

What year is your truck?
Thanks for that.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,992,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Why do they do these things?! Full floater, axle then hub has come off to perform brake maintenance, what a cluster **** 2nd gen Rams with D60s in the front were similarly stupid - rotor replacement required hub bearing removal as studs were pressed through back of rotor then INTO hub.
Those type of axles are normally used on heavy duty vehicles, like wreckers, and such, which constantly carry heavy weight. The bearing tend to wear faster as well, compared to a car or say F150. Its like that so when you replace the brakes, you can service the bearings as well, a little faster than doing on a normal axle and everything just about comes out at once. Older technology, but it works.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Those type of axles are normally used on heavy duty vehicles, like wreckers, and such, which constantly carry heavy weight. The bearing tend to wear faster as well, compared to a car or say F150. Its like that so when you replace the brakes, you can service the bearings as well, a little faster than doing on a normal axle and everything just about comes out at once. Older technology, but it works.
Totally understand this for a dually as it is the normal setup, but for a single wheel floater, unnecessary.
Has been accomplished by other mfg's without having to pull axle and hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive