Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
C43 might be out because I don't think it leases very well, can't seem to find anyone on leasehackr who got one for under $650 all in

when you say brakes do you mean pads or the rotors?
Pads will go. Mercedes will always want to replace rotors with pads as they design their systems that way.

Measuring the thickness of rotors, you can get 2 pad changes out of them, so you'll get 30,000 miles.

But as you noted, leases aren't usually attractive there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:12 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Pads will go. Mercedes will always want to replace rotors with pads as they design their systems that way.

Measuring the thickness of rotors, you can get 2 pad changes out of them, so you'll get 30,000 miles.

But as you noted, leases aren't usually attractive there.
Your info is false, one of my MBs has 70K miles with original rotors and pads. I assume it’s how one drivers.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:55 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Your info is false, one of my MBs has 70K miles with original rotors and pads. I assume it’s how one drivers.
You have a C43 with 70,000 miles on the original rotors and pads? What is the measured thickness of the rotors (or since you are lucky enough to not need to measure them, what is the approximate pad life?) No one else on any of the forums has been able to get anywhere close to that, I'm certain it is not 'how one drives', and guess you don't have a C43.

The C43 has high performance rotors and pads, which are fabulous for braking (world class stopping distances) but terrible for wear and dust. When i reference changing pads before 30,0000 miles and rotors probably making it a little pass 30k I was referring to the C43, which obviously does not apply to anything that is not a C43, Mercedes or not.

In terms of my general Mercedes statement of rotors who sacrifice their lives and should be changed with the pads, that is the general Mercedes philosophy. Since you have original for both, you haven't hit that yet. The service manuals do (luckily) give minimum thickness for rotors and don't just blanketly say the rotors must be changed, but the majority of dealers will tell you to change them with the pads and unless you compare measurements to the service manual and call BS on them, you'll be getting them changed.

Since I do my own, I'm able to make my own call, and measured the rotors and pads specifically, and am very aware of the life, hence my note on how long they last (in a C43).

Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would look at the Mercedes and BMW as they tend to handle very well. The Alfa is very fun to drive, though I have not driven one in winter, but my guess is that it's not going to be as solid as the Mercedes or BMW. I have gotten several Infiniti Q50 rentals in recent weeks, both AWD and RWD. I find that it handles well, even with stock rental car tires, but it lags in comparison to Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar in terms of interior appointments and finish.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
If it were me, I would jump on a Mazda Miata with the hard top, and manual gearbox, zoom,zoom!

Hell, I would even consider purchasing a CPO Miata, for the price of a 2 year lease.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:32 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I don't care for any of these cars. I would go for the Alfa Romeo if it was me.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
I have a 340i MSport w/Track package and adaptive suspension and all the other desirable bits currently. I had several Audi S4s prior. The 340 gets great gas mileage, is comfortable and sounds nice, and it’s a riot to drive at the limit. Anything less than spirited though and it’s woefully disengaged from the driver. There’s no steering feel, throttle response is awful and it’s just generally a boring car.

The good news is ALL my maintenance is taken care of during the lease and this car leases stupidly well, meaning you can probably get one for much less than the others even at a higher MSRP. If I had to do it all over again I’d get a track package 330i over the 340. It’s just better in everyday driving.

This is a cheap to operate bridge car for me and the lease is up in 2019. I’ll be replacing it with an S5 Sportback or a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I can’t wait.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
My Winter experience is the more powerful cars on summer tires will be an unwelcome handful especially on ice. There are threads on Winter tires.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I am considering the following

Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
Infiniti Q50/60 400 Red Sport
Mercedes C43
BMW 340i/440i
Jaguar XF 35t or XE 35t

and if I can find a good lease on an F-type S with AWD I would go for that. THat seems like a stretch though was trying to keep payments under $600. All of these cars have AWD but do they come with summer or all season tires from factory? I would want one with good tires that can last hopefully 30k+ miles (was going to lease). I had originally thought I wanted a pure sports car with a beater for bad weather but want something I can drive all the time and have the only thing to worry about be payments. My commute is also shortening from 30 miles one way to about 8 soon making leasing more attractive.
I have leased 4 BMWs in a row. 3 series coupe twice, then 5 series, then 4 series gran coupe. All have been X drive, BMW's all wheel drive and drove without issue in the snow. All came with all season run flat tires, which were adequate for the snow, but on the first I switched to winter tires and they were great but it was definitely overkill.

I had an Infiniti G37 (old model #) leased for the spouse and it was pretty meh. Terrible on gas and died at 2 years, flatbedded to dealer then fixed. Couldn't wait to turn it in.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
You have a C43 with 70,000 miles on the original rotors and pads? What is the measured thickness of the rotors (or since you are lucky enough to not need to measure them, what is the approximate pad life?) No one else on any of the forums has been able to get anywhere close to that, I'm certain it is not 'how one drives', and guess you don't have a C43.

The C43 has high performance rotors and pads, which are fabulous for braking (world class stopping distances) but terrible for wear and dust. When i reference changing pads before 30,0000 miles and rotors probably making it a little pass 30k I was referring to the C43, which obviously does not apply to anything that is not a C43, Mercedes or not.

In terms of my general Mercedes statement of rotors who sacrifice their lives and should be changed with the pads, that is the general Mercedes philosophy. Since you have original for both, you haven't hit that yet. The service manuals do (luckily) give minimum thickness for rotors and don't just blanketly say the rotors must be changed, but the majority of dealers will tell you to change them with the pads and unless you compare measurements to the service manual and call BS on them, you'll be getting them changed.

Since I do my own, I'm able to make my own call, and measured the rotors and pads specifically, and am very aware of the life, hence my note on how long they last (in a C43).
I have a new C63s with only 6000. But I also have an E430 with about 70K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive