Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I see some of you hate american cars and would take anything foreign any day over american.

Is there a specific make/model/year you hate? or do you just hate all american cars regardless of who made it and when?

I can agree some of today's foreign cars hold up better than american, but I believe there was once a time 36 years ago when an american car was built to last and foreign car manufacturers were not built very well at all.
I like a fun, light car that picks up good mileage. It has to come with a manual transmission. Aside from the Sky (and the Pontiac, but it looks funny) they don't make anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop View Post
you are right in all ways.... even though it sound like i hate american cars..i dont!!! i am a car enthusiast The only reason y u hear me complaining about american cars is because those are the only ones i had problems with!!!! i have owned ALOT of cars since the last 10 years. not junky sit in the yard.... but nice!!

i swear im addicted to buying cars!!! since "SPEEDADDICTED" had to say one word about the evo, i will share
i bought a 08 galant for my girlfriend this year, really really nice car
love how it handles, almost got a evo 10 but arg... girls and cars are one thing but a girl in a evo 10 umm NO
and also isnt the v6 MMMmmm ralliart yum

also 2 years ago i bought one of my dream cars, 94 mitsu 3000gt vr4
with the getrag 6... AWD AWS its the best car in the world. i LUV IT
has six gears and u leave 3rd at 100mph. car does so much stuff its just crazy. it gets 24mpg BUT its a SPORTS CAR!!! c-mon

i like evo 8's for some reason .... some day

also am not a Hyundai fan at all BUT.... that genesis is pretty impressive on paper.. 375hp is a big number in 4.6l

They also have a "RALLIART LANCER" this year that is basiclly an EVO minus the AYC and a few other gadgets. Its an "entry level" car to compete with the WRX. Thus the EVO will compete with the STI. Its a sweet deal and bang for the buck its gonna be very nice.

I love the 3000GT VR4's. I have a few friends that own them and it was the first turbo car I ever drove in before I bought my first DSM. Man the VR4's are fun. I want to find a Galant VR4 from back in the day....total sleeper!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
They also have a "RALLIART LANCER" this year that is basiclly an EVO minus the AYC and a few other gadgets. Its an "entry level" car to compete with the WRX. Thus the EVO will compete with the STI. Its a sweet deal and bang for the buck its gonna be very nice.

I love the 3000GT VR4's. I have a few friends that own them and it was the first turbo car I ever drove in before I bought my first DSM. Man the VR4's are fun. I want to find a Galant VR4 from back in the day....total sleeper!
True, the RalliArt at its essence is "an EVO minus the AYC and a few other gadgets." Of course it's also an EVO minus 60 horsepower -- a fairly important distinction. And now that the WRX is spinning out 265 HP (probably as much as the original N.A. Evo once you account for the adjustments in ASE HP measuring methods) and the suspension has been re-tuned to not suck nearly as much, the RalliArt is substantially behind the curve.

The VR-4s were nice enough cars but man were those things heavy for their day.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,269 times
American cars probably suck because of where they are made. All the car towns are ghetto.

I really hate to say it, but I've had less problems per mile driven with the Japanese cars I've owned. I especially hate to say it because I'm old enough to be a muscle car fan.

I've actually had Geo Metros outlast Trans Ams. And I drive both the same, rather gently.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
Some here really crack me up. I mean all the bragging on the imported crap. Like my neighbor that thinks her toyoda is better than any other SUV. Out of the 1 1/2 years shes owned it, it has been in the dealer at least 2 months woth of repairs, but she claims it's not let her down at all. Guess the tow truck loading it up at least 3 times I seen wasn't a problem with it since it wouldn't start?
Remember, support those at home, because the importers don't care about you. Maybe some would be surprised to find that the American cars and trucks actuly have a better needed warrenty repair record than the imports?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I'll support those at home when I'm good and convinced that they're no longer building crap and when they get some actual talent in their design houses. This "rah rah support the home team" nonsense was a major contributor to their complacency that got them in this spot to begin with. There's nothing patriotic about supporting those at home to the point where they have forgotten how to make decent cars and have to beg us for money just to make payroll.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
I don't understand the thinking of buying a Big Three equals supporting American workers. I sell Hondas, the Accords, Civic and Element are built in Ohio (along with Acuras) the Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline are built in Alabama, a new factory opened this last year in Indiana for Civics. There is another factory in Ontario and one in Mexico. Less than 25% are imported from Japan.

The Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, Element along with the Acura TL, MDX and RDX were designed in America too. The Pilot is actually exported to Europe.

I don't hate American makes. My mother has a 99 Sedan deVille with over 150,000 that is going strong. However, I sell Hondas because I have taken three Accords to the 200,000 mile mark and could have kept them, just was ready for something new. I bought a 97 Accord with 130,000 miles for $500 a three years ago, drove it for 2 years and another 40,000 miles and sold it for $1850. It had dents on three sides, and still sold for that price.

Can you name an American car that has 200,000 miles, dented up that would sell for that?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Some here really crack me up. I mean all the bragging on the imported crap. Like my neighbor that thinks her toyoda is better than any other SUV. Out of the 1 1/2 years shes owned it, it has been in the dealer at least 2 months woth of repairs, but she claims it's not let her down at all. Guess the tow truck loading it up at least 3 times I seen wasn't a problem with it since it wouldn't start?
Remember, support those at home, because the importers don't care about you. Maybe some would be surprised to find that the American cars and trucks actuly have a better needed warrenty repair record than the imports?
Just out of curiousity, which plant did it come out of?

Personally, despite being an american muscle car fan (still want a Corvette, LOL!) I don't really want an "import" made here. All the cities those plants seem to be in seem to be ghetto to me, and I'd expect the attitude of the workers in those plants to be similar towards quality.

I've heard it said that the quality of the U.S. made "imports" actually is below the japanese made ones. No idea if it's true or not.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Something for you to consider if you think American cars are not just as good as over rated toyodas and hondas;

I Think it's Interesting!
For the record...

Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11
An interesting commentary...You might find this of
interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford
and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in
New York and Washington .

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $10 million to American Red Cross matching
employee contributions of the same number plus 10
Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered
ER response team services and office space to displaced
government employees.

2. GM- $10 million to American Red Cross matching
employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of
vans, suv's, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the
children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new
motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept
11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of
the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best
sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing..

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences
via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing despite claims of high sales in
July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease
a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. You might want to give more
consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned
and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai
and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ...

It's OK for these companies to take money out of
this country, but it is apparently not acceptable to
return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not forget
things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets their
attention..

BUY YOUR NEXT VEHICLE FROM GM, FORD OR CHRYSLER.
I agree with your economic patriotism request. But, on a day to day basis I can't have a car that breaks down. It's a bit like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

It saddens me that an industry we created, we (the U.S.) are now losing at.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post
Interesting topic about European/Japanese v USA cars. Surprised to see how people are having problems with the Euro cars, as the German cars like VW/Mercedes/BMW are known for their reliability over here.

(Are these european makes actually built in the USA, or shipped in from Europe?)

Living in the UK, I've only ever had European models as you may expect. The worst cars I have owned have been Fords, where bits seemed to fall off/fail all the time. Among the best were Vauxhall (GM Opel) which just kept running. And I am on my second Renault the first of which I had for 4 years with no problems, and my current one is heading the same way after about nearly 3 years.

Another big difference over here is the engine sizes, the average Brit just couldn't afford to run a large USA engine at our fuel prices. Unleaded petrol has recently came down to about 90p ($1.30) per litre. A litre being about 0.26 US gallons. So mpg for us is a big selling point!
10-15% of BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class are coming from Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive