Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Why 3X safer?? Wouldn't a 2x increase in safety be a great thing?
I think its a matter of opinion and no two people will agree.

I think that a self driving car is such a radical departure from today's technology that there has to be ultra-solid evidence that it is much safer than cars we drive ourselves.

You might have a point with 2 X as safe. I refuse to accept the idea that its 20% safer or even 50% safer. Statistics can be manipulated and there should be no question about it before such a technology is allowed.

I also would like to see some kind of a vote over this. Why should these cars be imposed against our will? If a majority of voters don't support this technology I think that's a reason to put it on hold for now too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
She was jaywalking which is illegal here. AZ has a high percentage of jaywalking incidents mostly because jaywalkers are looking at their cell phones or just not paying attention and bring these problems upon themselves.
Oh, so that makes it okay to run her down?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:13 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
An Uber car in autonomous mode killed a pedestrian in Tempe. Uber is cancelling self driving programs while the investigation is under way.

l[/url]
Not to make light of a terrible situation, who pays the fines or goes to jail? The non-driver or the car??

Who gets sued?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
And a Tesla in autonomous mode ran into a firetruck at 60 MPH parked on the side of the freeway a little while ago.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:24 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Not to make light of a terrible situation, who pays the fines or goes to jail? The non-driver or the car??

Who gets sued?
I would assume Uber (they owned the vehicle and technology), who will probably settle the eventual wrongful death lawsuit for a million or two and just make it go away, even if they weren't solely responsible.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Tell that to the poor soul who just got killed.
What should I say to the other soul who got killed by a human driver putting on makeup, reading, playing with their phone etc.?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
This is the sort of thing that will continue to happen more and more as society continues to worship technology more and more as if it is some sort of God. Common sense fled our society long ago. And even the most fail-safe technology we as humans have come up with fails. Since we are all would-be social engineers anyway, the logical pursuit would be to create a society that hadn't much need for a car. But nope. We want to take a bad idea and make it even worse and more invasive.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 PM

6,760 posts, read 5,058,954 times
It will be instructive to see how much evidence gets released to the public in this incident. If Uber "cooperates fully" but simply wants to pay some money and then carry on with business... well, that will look very bad for Uber and the entire industry.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The car was not "self-driving." There was a driver. Question is what the heck was he doing?
Either not paying as much attention as he should or had no time after the allegedly homeless person walked out in front of the car.

I've hit a pedestrian before on a bicycle. We're not talking about real high speeds on a bicycle as I wasn't going down hill. Still, when they decide to jump off the sidewalk in front of you, they can do that amazingly quickly. Fortunately being a bicycle, no serious injuries, just some bruises on both our parts.

I'm not sure how much recording these autonomous cars actually do. Assuming they have some sort of black box function, and I assume they do, it shouldn't be that hard to tell when it "saw" the pedestrian prior to the point of impact. A random homeless person ambling out into the middle of the road (allegedly) really isn't the worst fear or any fear of autonomous cars. They do that. They get killed. Not to be callous about it or judgmental of the homeless and mentally ill, but thy just do that sort of thing more often than even phone zombies do. The upside is I assume the vehicle itself has adequate logging so it shouldn't be that hard to reconstruct, assuming the vehicle picked up the wandering pedestrian prior to collision.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I have not read any details yet, a pedestrian can easily just walk right out in front of a car without a thought, in Miami it is a frequent occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive