Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 PM

124 posts, read 109,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Sorry to quote out of context, but the above statement succinctly encapsulates the whole theme of the thread. It's not that Americans are taller than Europeans, or that American highways are fundamentally different. Rather, American taste is different. One part of the world values vehicles that are of compact exterior dimensions, and are economical to operate. Another part of the world values... other things. Unfortunately for me personally, no part of the world seems to value compact and economical cars with powerful engines and rear wheel drive.

One aspect of the problem, is that the sort of consumer in modern America who might prefer a European-style compact car, has become vehemently opposed to driving altogether. By this I mean the city-dwelling young-people. What made coupes and sporty/muscle cars (compact, or not compact at all) cars popular 50 years ago (has it been that long???), were the demographics of that era: lots of young people, who were "in to" cars.
Hello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Ford just announced that they will discontinue production of the Fiesta and Taurus
Not exactly. They announced they'll discontinue SELLING the Fiesta in the US. The Mk8 Fiesta has been on sale in the UK for a year already - we're never getting that in the US. I believe they are discontinuing production of them in Mexico, but they are still built in Spain, Germany, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Taiwan, Brazil, Russia, and Venezuela.

The Mk8 FiST has a 200 hp i3 engine. USDM Mk7 FiST had a 200 hp i4, the UK Mk7 FiST had a 180 hp i4.

The Taurus I'm not as familiar with, but the next generation one will go on in China (already on sale there)

Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some time you should sit in the back seat of a crew cab pickup, the most common being bought now. They seat 6, with far more leg, head, and hip room than any sedan on the market regardless of size. My supercab seats 3 back there comfortably, even with two toddlers in car seats a large adult fits nicely.

F150 Crew Cab:
Second Head Room : in 40.4 Second Leg Room : in 43.6 Second Shoulder Room : in 65.9 Second Hip Room : in 64.7

Lincoln Continental:

Second Head Room : in 37.7 Second Leg Room : in 41.3 Second Shoulder Room : in 55.9 Second Hip Room : in 54.8
A coworker had an F150 Crew Cab while his vehicle was being repaired. He's a big boy, so his seat was back quite a bit further than it would be if I were driving. Even so, the back seat was cavernous, with enormous amounts of head, leg, hip, and shoulder room. You could sit up straight, with no need to slouch under a low ceiling. We talked about what a fine vehicle it would be for a cross-country family trip.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
One aspect of the problem, is that the sort of consumer in modern America who might prefer a European-style compact car, has become vehemently opposed to driving altogether. By this I mean the city-dwelling young-people. What made coupes and sporty/muscle cars (compact, or not compact at all) cars popular 50 years ago (has it been that long???), were the demographics of that era: lots of young people, who were "in to" cars.
It's kind of funny because in Europe, sedans are what old people drive. Young people drive hatchbacks that better align with an active lifestyle where you're always hauling 'stuff'. Old people just need enough trunk space for a suitcase.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A coworker had an F150 Crew Cab while his vehicle was being repaired. He's a big boy, so his seat was back quite a bit further than it would be if I were driving. Even so, the back seat was cavernous, with enormous amounts of head, leg, hip, and shoulder room. You could sit up straight, with no need to slouch under a low ceiling. We talked about what a fine vehicle it would be for a cross-country family trip.
I’ve never had a half ton pickup (F150) because they are like play trucks when you really need a truck for hauling but have had many 3/4 and 1 tons. All very, nice new trucks when we got em with all the bells and whistles and with crew cabs and have hauled horses cross country several times. But I’d never compare the ride in a pickup to one in a nice sedan or crossover, or even an SUV.

I’d prefer it to a compact car though.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
i have zero interest in ever owning a truck or suv for personal use. then again I don't enjoy driving period so I'm still using my 2002 sedan i bought in 2003 so im not helping the sedan market at all haha

Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM
46H

1,653 posts, read 1,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
During the 1960s and 1970s, people could buy station wagons that were as long as some of today's crew cab pick-ups. They could seat 6 (and sometimes 8 or 9) comfortably and also could go to the lumber yard and pick up 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. While these monsters no longer exist, Americans still need to haul stuff occasionally. The mini van has filled some of this demand, but the pick-up has also been upgraded to be something a person could drive every day and still provide the hauling capacity. Suburbans used to be for plumbers and electricians and families with 6 kids. Now, we see mom and her 2 kids in Suburbans (and the shorter cousins like the Tahoe), all because of the lack of big wagons.

The increase in sedans with a hatch might save the sedan.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
During the 1960s and 1970s, people could buy station wagons that were as long as some of today's crew cab pick-ups. They could seat 6 (and sometimes 8 or 9) comfortably and also could go to the lumber yard and pick up 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. While these monsters no longer exist, Americans still need to haul stuff occasionally. The mini van has filled some of this demand, but the pick-up has also been upgraded to be something a person could drive every day and still provide the hauling capacity. Suburbans used to be for plumbers and electricians and families with 6 kids. Now, we see mom and her 2 kids in Suburbans (and the shorter cousins like the Tahoe), all because of the lack of big wagons.

The increase in sedans with a hatch might save the sedan.
I remember those wagons. We always had a Ford Country Squire that would sit three in front, three in back (fighting over who had to sit in the middle with their feet on the “hump” and two in the folding seats in the far back. Big v8 engine and a long wheel base to comfortable tow our campers off to whatever state park we were camping at that weekend.
Great memories.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Sorry to quote out of context, but the above statement succinctly encapsulates the whole theme of the thread. It's not that Americans are taller than Europeans, or that American highways are fundamentally different. Rather, American taste is different. One part of the world values vehicles that are of compact exterior dimensions, and are economical to operate. Another part of the world values... other things. Unfortunately for me personally, no part of the world seems to value compact and economical cars with powerful engines and rear wheel drive.

I don't think it is just a difference in tastes, although that is true. I think the price of gas is also a big influence on other tastes. American's taste will change if the cost of gas goes up high enough. I saw enough evidence for that after Hurricane Katrina. I won't guess what the cost needs to be to influence it, because that amount depends on so many other factors, but I do believe that there is a point where it will cause Americans to change. I'm not suggesting I want that to happen, so don't misunderstand. I like cheap gas.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,966 times
IME, I have no interest in ever driving an SUV or a truck. I have a 4-door Dodge Charger (sedan?), and plan on driving it indefinitely and until it becomes fully-inoperable. Sports cars with 4 doors such as the Charger are the perfect mix for me because the combine classy styling and elegant looks with the convenience of a full-size sedan and with ample space. I will be driving a Charger for as long as Dodge keeps selling it as one of their offered car models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive