Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:12 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times

Advertisements

From what I read the first call did not give enough info, the officer responding drove around but didn't see any signs of a problem. The second call described the van and provided the info that would have made finding him much easier but that dispatcher thought it was a hoax and did not relay the info to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 03:21 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times
We live in Greater Cincinnati. This has been front page since it happened

The 16 year old boy had a back brace due to previous issues

The working theory is that his tennis gear slid forward and being top heavy from the brace, the child toppled into the car. As he fell, he grabbed the tether seat release (a manufacturing and design issue) Seat fell back on him squeezing him into the well and asphyxiating him

This took a long time and he suffered greatly. He as able to call 911 gave basic info and call DCed

911 dispatcher called back, call went to VM

The boy called again screaming that he was being crushed, told what the car was and where located. He then told dispatcher to tell his mother that he loved her. This 2nd dispatcher claims she didn't understand what was said. On review of tapes, call was rated unacceptable because dispatcher didn't pass the info on to cops in the field.

Cincinnati's 911 center is a mess according to city and county personnel. There are cries to combine city and county into one Metro system. This hits MrsM and me very hard because our daughter is a dispatcher in a large southern metro area and we hear bits and pieces of her good and bad calls

All in all, it is a terrible situation and a horrible way for this incredible kid to die!

I truly feel for him and his family

Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
One of the articles I read about this (can't find it now) mentioned something about Honda issuing a recall or service bulletin about the seats in this car, so they may have known it was a problem. Has anyone else seen that?
That recall I believe is about second row seats toppling forward if left in the unlatched position and only included much later years of the van.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That's why I stay away from Hondas. Sure the engine is reliable, but the 3rd row seat kills kids.
And you knew that for how long?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The boy called again screaming that he was being crushed,
Still can't imagine how someone can get "crushed" by a car seat.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:01 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Still can't imagine how someone can get "crushed" by a car seat.
He was tightly compressed and couldn't breathe and asphyxiated. Maybe crushed was wrong word to use. But, he was squeezed to death....He didn't have the strength to lift the seat

Old 04-14-2018, 11:29 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We live in Greater Cincinnati. This has been front page since it happened

The 16 year old boy had a back brace due to previous issues

The working theory is that his tennis gear slid forward and being top heavy from the brace, the child toppled into the car. As he fell, he grabbed the tether seat release (a manufacturing and design issue) Seat fell back on him squeezing him into the well and asphyxiating him

This took a long time and he suffered greatly. He as able to call 911 gave basic info and call DCed

911 dispatcher called back, call went to VM

The boy called again screaming that he was being crushed, told what the car was and where located. He then told dispatcher to tell his mother that he loved her. This 2nd dispatcher claims she didn't understand what was said. On review of tapes, call was rated unacceptable because dispatcher didn't pass the info on to cops in the field.

Cincinnati's 911 center is a mess according to city and county personnel. There are cries to combine city and county into one Metro system. This hits MrsM and me very hard because our daughter is a dispatcher in a large southern metro area and we hear bits and pieces of her good and bad calls

All in all, it is a terrible situation and a horrible way for this incredible kid to die!

I truly feel for him and his family
Only person so far saying Kyle Plusher's second telephone call to 911 was "unacceptable" is Amber Smith, who answered. Her story is that she couldn't hear what the teen was saying. Far as the 911 system as a whole it was and is deemed to be working properly.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...rom=new-cookie

Don't know how you all roll out in Ohio; but neither Amber Smith nor the first officer to answer 911 call seemed to make very much effort in engaging with Kyle Plusher. The former in particular seemed to have already made up her mind the call was a "prank" and couldn't be bothered.

Here in NYC NYPD will keep someone on the line if at all possible. By that one means unless the call is disconnected/terminated by the caller or whatever, when it is a case of an emergency that is how things go.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
I read a couple of reports that he was crushed by the folding 3rd row seats. Now I've had a Honda Odyssey a few years ago a 2006 model. The 3rd row seats is sort of tricky to open and fold. The only way I can see that he was crushed was that he was going in from the trunk and closed it and you can't go back out without climbing over the 3rd row.

In order for the 3rd row to fold back down you had to first flatten the top part which requires pulling a cord then pull the seats back down and that's when the seats collapses into the trunk well. He most likely tried to do that in order to climb over. I don't think they are that heavy but if he did was doing it sitting down or in an awkward position then he probably doesn't have the strength to lift up what is probably 60-80lbs on top of you.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I read a couple of reports that he was crushed by the folding 3rd row seats. Now I've had a Honda Odyssey a few years ago a 2006 model. The 3rd row seats is sort of tricky to open and fold. The only way I can see that he was crushed was that he was going in from the trunk and closed it and you can't go back out without climbing over the 3rd row.

In order for the 3rd row to fold back down you had to first flatten the top part which requires pulling a cord then pull the seats back down and that's when the seats collapses into the trunk well. He most likely tried to do that in order to climb over. I don't think they are that heavy but if he did was doing it sitting down or in an awkward position then he probably doesn't have the strength to lift up what is probably 60-80lbs on top of you.
He couldn't get his things through the back because there was a car parked closely behind him preventing him from opening the hatch. A poster from the area gave an account that is what they are postulating happened, a couple posts up.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Sad tragedy. A young life needlessly lost through a freak accident....and as much as he was killed by that...the sheer incompetence of government was a complicating factor in that lifesaving help was not dispatched due to multiple failures of protocol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive