Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
-It's a 2014 Accord, so the tires are about 4 years old? Seems reasonable to be needing new tires soon. (Should have checked the tires before buying the car.)
Absolutely, depending on how many miles the current set of 4 have been driven. I put a new set of 4 on my car in March 2015 and ended up replacing them earlier this year, partially due to the fact that I put 20,000 miles on them just in the 15 months I was living 16 miles from my job (due to being burned out of my apartment I was living with my parents for a time).

It also depends on the type of tires that are on the car. My co-worker bought a new 2016 CRV in August 2016 (part of the end of the year clearance sales) that had Continentals on it; he ended up having to replace the front two tires less than a year later. Continentals may ride softer, but they aren't as durable.

I'm guessing this OP doesn't know all that much about cars in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Yep, that's why leases generally run 3 years. Soon after that they're going to need tires/brakes/etc. Just something to expect in that time frame.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
This is probably one of the few times I'd say it might be better for one to purchase from CarMax. I would suggest this for one who does suffer from anxiety issues, because CarMax makes the car buying process quick, easy, and painless - well except the pain you feel in your wallet! They are, generally, more expensive than other used car dealers. But, you can literally be in and out within an hour, they provide warranties on their vehicles - very solid warranties that cover just about what the manufacturer warranty would, as well as 30 day limited warranties, and a 5-day money back guarantee.

Like I said, the only downfall is, if CarMax has the car for $18,500, that is the price + taxs, tags, and if you add the warranty. You may be able to get the same vehicle somewhere else for $17k out of the door, but you'll have to haggle, you'll have to play their dealership games, and they'll try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. If one isn't the least bit savvy when it comes to automobiles, Carmax or Carvana might be the best options.

Heck, honestly, if CarMax came within a $1k of the price somewhere else, it might would be worth eating that $1,000 for the convenience.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
This is probably one of the few times I'd say it might be better for one to purchase from CarMax. I would suggest this for one who does suffer from anxiety issues, because CarMax makes the car buying process quick, easy, and painless - well except the pain you feel in your wallet! They are, generally, more expensive than other used car dealers. But, you can literally be in and out within an hour, they provide warranties on their vehicles - very solid warranties that cover just about what the manufacturer warranty would, as well as 30 day limited warranties, and a 5-day money back guarantee.

Like I said, the only downfall is, if CarMax has the car for $18,500, that is the price + taxs, tags, and if you add the warranty. You may be able to get the same vehicle somewhere else for $17k out of the door, but you'll have to haggle, you'll have to play their dealership games, and they'll try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. If one isn't the least bit savvy when it comes to automobiles, Carmax or Carvana might be the best options.

Heck, honestly, if CarMax came within a $1k of the price somewhere else, it might would be worth eating that $1,000 for the convenience.
Carmax is way overpriced Basic 2013 Honda Accord going for $21,000 and same car at another dealership going for $15,000 with higher package.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
You can buy from an auction and get an awesome price. My brother picked up a late model Camry at auction then he took it in and had the tires replaced, brake pads replaced, all fluids replaced, belts changed, window wiper blades replaced, and a few sensors that he thought needed to be replaced. Car runs awesome and not only looks new but he is secure in the fact that he had all those items replaced.

For him though it was a cash deal.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
You were absolutely taken advantage of. Consider it a lesson & make sure it never happens again.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:06 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
When you buy a car, look at the oil on the dipstick. It should look light and clear if they really changed the oil. It is that simple.

And as for the tires, why not take a look at the tread and know the condition of the tires before saying "I'll take it". If you cannot even do this, then no you are not qualified to handle this business on your own. You will be taken advantage of almost every time.

And how do you expect a lawyer to give any advice if you are preventing him from looking at your contract??

So, I disagree, I think that it does have to do with her being a girl. She sounds like she was sleep walking /blindfolded through the whole ordeal. I cannot imagine a man being that clueless about every detail, from mechanics, to contracts, to financing.

She needs to bring a competent man to help with potentially dangerous transactions such as used car dealerships.

Sorry to be harsh, but these are facts. The dealership probably decided that you were not sharp and that they could earn extra money on your business.
You are absolutely right on all counts.. except the bolded.

She could have brought a competent woman, like me, and it would have been a thousand percent better.

OP.. you were taken advantage of because you were a poor, inexperienced buyer.
Not because you are a g-i-r-l.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

She could have brought a competent woman, like me, and it would have been a thousand percent better.

I agree that the chromosomes didn't make much difference, but even as the father of four strong, independent daughters (all in traditionally male-dominated fields), I'd say a guy-stooge has more weight when dealing with the retro grifters at a dealership than a gal-stooge... unless it's Ripley.

It's not about you, or the stooge or what's right or what should be... it's about them.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM

641 posts, read 1,073,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

Ha ha, I agree with you..... the problem is that there just aren't that many women like you

Old 04-17-2018, 03:38 PM

61,724 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do WHAT to someone else. This is the used car business. Consumers need to understand the process, get inspections, get their own financing, etc.
I agree. While you might not have experience in buying an used car, you could research for tips and advice on the Internet to get informed. Find out what you need to know BEFORE, not after the deal. Or go with someone who knows more than you.
Even on this forum members discussed it many times.

This situation has nothing to do with being a girl, but everything with being clueless.
Did the dealership took advantage of it? Sure. But that's life, and hopefully lesson learned.
Hope, they didn't sell you a lemon, as a doubt that you took it for a test drive, or had it checked by independent mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive