Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 PM

260 posts, read 605,291 times

Advertisements

right now I'm just not confident enough to be around people.

I say "right now" because it hasn't always been this way. A couple of years ago, I was supremely confident. I liked how I looked. I was proud of my job. I believed I was going places. I loved showing up at parties and meeting new people. Best days of my life. I wish I could recapture that mindset. But it's impossible to.

I now hate myself.

First and foremost, I hate how I look. I'm only 24 years old and my hairline has receded to the point where I have to keep it long and shaggy and combed in a particular direction for it to frame my face and not make me look like a creepy old guy. The uncertainty of whether I'll lose all my hair consumes me, but not nearly as much as the immediate concern of how I'll look when I'm around other people. I recently bailed out on an outdoor social event because I saw the weather and it was supposed to be windy and rainy.

****. I don't even feel like writing more.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 AM

240 posts, read 422,867 times
You're being too hard on yourself. I'm sure others do not see you the way that you see yourself. Have you considered shaving your head? A lot of balding or receding men do that and they look great!

Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 AM

98 posts, read 100,231 times
You are listening to negative thoughts.
so what if you lose your hair.? It seems to make no difference to people if you have an intelligent conversation and a good personilty they wont even look at your hair.
looks arent everything.
be thankful fhat you are healthy.
Stop thinking about what look like and be thankful for what you have.
this is good christian advice.
you are only 24 , too young to worry.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Shave your head bald...think Kerry Shook or Walter White....people LOVE it. Do something different because what you are doing now is making you miserable. I was once young and beautiful and I absolutely loved the shaved look. Do it and quit wasting your life in self pity...life is too short to worry about your hairstyle.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 AM

98 posts, read 100,231 times
Good advice.
He is just making himself miserable.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:23 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Your attitude will be read by those around you. Those self destructive thoughts do you no good. You are what you 'think' you are.. your thoughts are your most important asset, though good looks can help and a personality other than the one you have takes repetition and dedication to build and is not easy to create...

Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
If your "friends" are your friends only because of the way you look, then you need to find some REAL friends! (And learn that a friend is someone who knows all about you and still likes you - that real friends can be counted on one hand.)

And keep in mind most people live the majority of their lives not looking that perfect 18 to 25 years old look! As we get older we get the "droops and sags" as my neighbor says. For men, that 6 pack stomach slides down to become a beer belly around age 30. We loose hair. Hair turns grey. All sorts of stuff!

But NONE of that matters if you learn who REAL friends are. Those people will continue to be your friends no matter what you look like!

Hint: Turn off the TV and go to the mall or a store. See what REAL people look like. Not so perfect! Also notice that fat people, people with grey hair, and people who are unattractive have friends with them when shopping. I guess it does not matter to those people what their friends look like? Huh????

Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Are you sure that your problem isn't just being antisocial and you are just using you're looks to justify your feelings?

I have become (at about age 55) antisocial but I'm not concerned about my looks. I'm antisocial because I have gotten older and smarter about human interaction and have learned some things that have turned off about other humans.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Shave your head bald...think Kerry Shook or Walter White....people LOVE it. Do something different because what you are doing now is making you miserable. I was once young and beautiful and I absolutely loved the shaved look. Do it and quit wasting your life in self pity...life is too short to worry about your hairstyle.
+1. Guys are more concerned about their hair (or lack of it) and women are more concerned about their weight. I am a woman who is married to a guy with interesting hair. He doesn't have a receding hairline, but his hair is very thin and pouffy. Every morning when he woke up, his hair looked like a dandelion; all puffy and frizzy. I never said anything. I love him so much, no matter what, but he hated his hair and always wore ball caps.

One day he was spending a lot of time in the bathroom and I kept hearing the electric razor humming on and off. I finally asked what he was doing and he emerged with a totally bald head. I was taken completely by surprise. It looked very sexy. He's been bald about two years now, and we both still love it. Why don't you try it? Chicks dig bald guys

Old 04-05-2014, 02:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times
You have either got to be kidding or you really need to look at your values and decide what is really important in life. I have known many men, young and old, who are bald and are some of the greatest people I know!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology